Flight Attendant Classes in 2006

TheNewLowFare

Senior
Aug 31, 2005
New Hire Classes in 2006 from AFA Update

Three-(3) new-hire classes for the AWA operation are now scheduled for March 13, March 20 and April 3. Ninety-(90) class positions were scheduled. Only seventy-(70) US Airways flight attendants - who are on their furlough list – have accepted positions in those classes. Therefore, twenty-(20) of the new-hires will be hired “off-the-street.â€

Additional classes are scheduled for May, but not yet filled. A previously scheduled June class has been canceled, but additional classes will be scheduled for the remainder of the year, mainly from late summer through December. US Airways furloughees will be offered these positions, but many have by-passed or declined the positions here already and they only get two chances to accept a position at AWA.

Furloughed US Airways flight attendants, who accept a position at AWA, come in as new-hires and are junior to all AWA flight attendants. They will be junior to all AWA flight attendants at least through April, 2007 or when the company is awarded a single operating certificate by the FAA. Even on that date, many of these furloughees will not get their combined seniority in PHX unless they were recalled off the US Airways seniority list to a former US Airways base. They are paid – on the America West pay scale – their longevity earned at US Airways. For instance, if a furloughed flight attendant at US Airways was hired in November, 1999 and furloughed – for example – in June, 2003, that person has six-(6) years and two-(2) months of seniority, but has only three-(3) and one-half-(1/2) years of longevity.

Longevity is a function of the amount of active time as a flight attendant on the payroll. If a Flight Attendant takes an extended leave or is furloughed, they stop accumulating longevity. In the example above, this flight attendant was furloughed in 2003 and therefore, they are frozen at that pay scale until they return from their furlough. They resume on the pay scale at the point in where they were frozen.

So a Flight Attendant’s seniority and longevity may be two different calculations throughout their entire career.

Here is a review of the US Airways Flight Attendant Furlough List:

Number of US Airways Furloughed Flight Attendants: 1,685

Number who accepted “new-hire†AWA jobs so far: 70

Date-of-hire range among all US Airways Furloughees: November, 1999 – June, 2001

The 1,685 furloughees were hired between those date ranges. US Airways has not hired any Flight Attendants since June, 2001.

Date-of-furloughs at US Airways: September, 2001 – June, 2003.

Approximately 850 were furloughed from September, 2001-November, 2001 and about 840 were furloughed from January, 2003-June, 2003.

In the Transition Agreement, there is mention of Mid Atlantic Airlines. Mid Atlantic was a regional jet division formed within US Airways as part of the bankruptcy process. Mid Atlantic is being phased out of the operation (and turned over to Republic Airways) and all Mid Atlantic Flight Attendants are furloughed US Airways flight attendants who accepted jobs there for a while. They retained all rights on the US Airways seniority list.

In fact, 33 of the 70 furloughees who accepted new-hire jobs at AWA are from the Mid Atlantic operation.

Here is a breakdown of the March 13 and 20 and April 3 classes and the date-of-hire (seniority) and longevity dates of US Airways furloughees who will be in those classes: Remember, each class has thirty-(30) positions.

Furloughed US Airways Flight Attendants who have accepted a position here have to complete the AWA new-hire training class and have to buy new uniforms. Additionally, they receive no moving expenses to come to PHX nor do they have paid housing during training.

March 13 Class

Furloughees in class: 27. Three-(3) new-hire flight attendants will be hired off-the-street for this class and will be junior to all US/AWA Flight Attendants.

Date-of-hire range for this class: Three-(3) hired at US in late 1999.

Twenty-three (23) hired from early-mid 2003. This is their seniority.

Furlough dates for this class are as follows: Nine-(9) were furloughed in November, 2001 and eighteen-(18) from early-mid 2003. This reflects their pay/vacation longevity.

March 20 Class

Furloughees in this class: 15. Fifteen-(15) new-hire flight attendants will be hired off-the-street.

Date-of-hire range among furloughees for this class: All were hired at US between February, 2001-June, 2001. These were some of the last Flight Attendants hired at US Airways.

Furlough dates among this class: Fourteen-(14) were furloughed on September 29, 2001 following the tragic events of 9/11/01. They were only on-line for a few days or weeks when 9/11 occurred. One-(1) was furloughed on November 1, 2001.

April 3 Class

Furloughees in this class: 28. Two-(2) new-hires, off-the-street, will staff this new-hire class.

Date-of-hires among this class: Twelve-(12) were hired in 2000, ten-(10) in 2001 and six-(6) were hired at US in 1999.

Furlough dates: Fourteen-(14) were furloughed in September and November, 2001. Fourteen-(14) were furloughed in mid-2003.

The Transition Agreement provides that these furloughees from US Airways will be ranked in seniority among themselves and that internal seniority ranking will be done upon the completion of each class. Remember, they will be junior to all AWA flight attendants until 2007 or later.

New Hire Classes in 2006 from AFA Update

Three-(3) new-hire classes for the AWA operation are now scheduled for March 13, March 20 and April 3. Ninety-(90) class positions were scheduled. Only seventy-(70) US Airways flight attendants - who are on their furlough list – have accepted positions in those classes. Therefore, twenty-(20) of the new-hires will be hired “off-the-street.”

Additional classes are scheduled for May, but not yet filled. A previously scheduled June class has been canceled, but additional classes will be scheduled for the remainder of the year, mainly from late summer through December. US Airways furloughees will be offered these positions, but many have by-passed or declined the positions here already and they only get two chances to accept a position at AWA.

If this info is true why would you go back after all the abuse. UA CO Wn are hiring ????

**Moderator Note: Please refrain from quoting a lengthy post. It just makes it easier for everyone to read follow-on posts. Thank you.**

I wonder if I, as a new hire will be in the 13th class or the 20th class. I look forward to meeting everyone.

I wonder if I, as a new hire will be in the 13th class or the 20th class. I look forward to meeting everyone.

If you checked off a june class as your first choice but had others listed, you will be put in one of the other classes. If you had only selected June, you will be marked as a pass.

I have a complete roster of FA's and their choice dates. PM me and I can tell you what you got, if you would like.

Here is a question for you. If you are more senior at the "old US" and elect a later AWA class than those junior to you, are the more junior "old US" now senior to you at AWA or would you slide in above them? You are going into this as a new hire afterall.

In the Transition Agreement, there is mention of Mid Atlantic Airlines. Mid Atlantic was a regional jet division formed within US Airways as part of the bankruptcy process. Mid Atlantic is being phased out of the operation (and turned over to Republic Airways) and all Mid Atlantic Flight Attendants are furloughed US Airways flight attendants who accepted jobs there for a while.

"For a while?!" I damn near choked when I read that. I can't put into words how incredible that phrase is.

Furloughed US Airways Flight Attendants who have accepted a position here have to complete the AWA new-hire training class and have to buy new uniforms. Additionally, they receive no moving expenses to come to PHX nor do they have paid housing during training.

Again, I don't understand why the West AFA MEC seems to be thrilled at pointing this out, it seems they take some sort of perverse pleasure at the East furloughees being screwed.

Big mistake that I posted this and knew someone who will post something negative. This transition was agreed by both AFA West and AFA East You make it sound that the west made all the decisions. I think I'll refrain posting anything from the AFA from now on, this is like beating a dead horse.

You are correct that it was negotiated by both sides, but you have to admit it sucks for the invols! The MAA folks have been there done that once already. I agree with the 7 weeks training as it is an FAA issue do to different certif. However, an exception should be made about hotel accomodations as these folks were screwed twice already from the same company they keep coming back to. Furloughed once from mainline and now from MAA. The pay seems to keep getting worse for them.

Just wanted to make a correction to the seniority date of Furloughed Flight Attendants. Our dates range from SEPTEMBER 1999 - June 2001. An earlier post stated November 1999.

In fact, the September 1999 class split the furloughees in the last major East furlough date (June 4, 2003). This group, along with the most 200 senior f/a's were offered a recall to mainline back in May 2005, but out of that 200 recall only 42 returned to LGA.

Just wanted to make a correction to the seniority date of Furloughed Flight Attendants. Our dates range from SEPTEMBER 1999 - June 2001. An earlier post stated November 1999.

In fact, the September 1999 class split the furloughees in the last major East furlough date (June 4, 2003). This group, along with the most 200 senior f/a's were offered a recall to mainline back in May 2005, but out of that 200 recall only 42 returned to LGA.

When I picture you guys talking about "ferrying a plane" I'm picturing the space shuttle on top of a 747. I've never seen this, so perhaps you just mean a crew flew it with no passengers?

You are correct that it was negotiated by both sides, but you have to admit it sucks for the invols! The MAA folks have been there done that once already. I agree with the 7 weeks training as it is an FAA issue do to different certif. However, an exception should be made about hotel accomodations as these folks were screwed twice already from the same company they keep coming back to. Furloughed once from mainline and now from MAA. The pay seems to keep getting worse for them.

Incidentally, the Inflight training program at HP has been reduced to 5weeks.

When I picture you guys talking about "ferrying a plane" I'm picturing the space shuttle on top of a 747. I've never seen this, so perhaps you just mean a crew flew it with no passengers?
Correct - no passengers.

Jim

Latest posts