Flight Attendants Work Hard

I am not taking sides here. I think the point was - please refrain from demeaning someone's position. Every job has a potential risk and it is noone's position to judge. Heck, I'll even say that a CEO of a company deserves every penny he gets if he does the job right and doesn't forget the hard work of the "little man".

I can somewhat understand the implications of getting on a flight daily knowing the "What ifs" and "may happens". Two cases come to mind. The crash of a US flight in Beaver County PA just two miles from my home. My parents found things in their back yard from that flight and I knew many men and women who went in afterwards as EMTs that suffered from what they saw. (Most are no longer EMTS.)
The second is 9/11. A day of horror when I am sure those already in the air did not know if, when, and how they would be landing.

My brother is a pilot for the Marines and he tells me tons of stories of "close calls" some of which he was "flying" by the seat of his pants and was happy to kiss the ground when he landed. Fortunately, he is a good pilot and has an excellant crew; however, there are many "what ifs" when your are 35,000 feet in the air and at 35,000 feet there usually no "remember whens" afterwards if something goes wrong. Don't you think it takes a certain type of person to do that day in and day out - sometimes several times a day? I think the potential risks (especially after 9/11) would always be at the back of my mind.

BTW, I think if every person took the extra time to appreciate or simply try to understand what someone else does as a "profession" then perhaps it would be nicer world.

I did not mean any offense.. sorry... I just really hate to see people moan and whine about how they MUST have the hardest job in the world. #1, its called work, not "happy fun time".. #2 We all work hard, or we probably would not have jobs to #### about in the first place.

I respect pilots, FA's, and mechanics equally.. its all tough work.

PineyBob said:
While I support the FAA certification process on the surface I am troubled by what I'll call "Creeping credentialism" that is spreading in this country and no doubt elsewhere.

Since swicthing companies I have recieved 3 MAJOR industry certifications. CDIA+ (Certified Digital Imaging Architect), CIP (Color Image Professional) & lastly CTT (Certified Technical Trainer) to which I respond SO WHAT BOB? BFD! My employer thinks differently and I have MORE certifications in my future.

What is the value of "Credentials" if as was the case at my old employer the gentleman who managed the Parking Garage where I had a monthly pass was a CPFM, (Certified Parking Facility Manager) What does that mean? That he can paint the lines straight?

It seems to me that the standards for my career and that of a flight Attendent are now on par with the guy who runs the parking garage. Geez I feel the ego massage don't you? Pardon me I have to go stick my head in the oven.
I think it means F/As could "with certification" strike and walk off the job at the drop of a hat and can not be replaced by people off the streets with only 20 hours of training.

I now understand why the world is in great trouble. What a complete lack of humanity and compassions there is from a small few on this board!

A flight attendant writes in and starts a post to "educate" many of us about the perils and stress that they go through. I thought it was an amazing post and I have several friends and relatives that are and have been flight attendants. I appreciate and teach my children to appreciate and honor each flight attendant ( and pilot) that they come in contact with. The results? They know that respect is countered with respect and kindness with kindness.

However, here are ( and I use the term loosely) "grown" folks on this thread who have managed to once again, take something and turn it around and make it about themselves. How self serving and egotistical is that?

Piney Bob, Since you have such a difficult job and face all different types of perils yourself.... where in the heck doyou find the time to stay on these boards and post time and time again, day after day!

I can tell you that when one is so very busy and "important" in their career, ( not to mention in their own little world in their head) the time to become curt, cruel, negative and largely tiresome would be at a minimum. There is simply no time to respond to such "insignificant posts.

People, take it down a couple of thousand ! For all those out there with the "poor me! My job is alot harder and I'm not in aviation " syndrome, Do yourself and all others a favor..... get your own Board for your career choice... post your own thoughts there and interact with those who are like minded as you!

Flight attendants!!!!!!! I honor you!

I never knew how valuable my 17 years of experience as a flight attendant was until two weeks ago when the possibility of losing my life crept upon me. You see, I was in a very dangerous situation that could have left me 6 feet under. During that span of time, I actually remembered many things learned as a flight attendant to survive. You see, most of our time as flight attendants is the repetitiveness of our everyday job..always mindful that something could happen. We as f/a's are continiously thinking of how to survive any situation or how to prevent one.

I put that prepardness to use and am here becuse of it. That situation had me walking away feeling amazed at the strength and will I had, but professionally let me realize that I am more than prepared for any emergency situation that may occur on the a/c. I always tell people how boring my flights are (which is a good thing) and I always wondered if I would actually be ready. Those doubts have been put to rest.

Yes, we are no different than other hard working folks out there, but our two-fold job (with many sub-duties) is often looked upon as just a service postion, when in reality most of our brains..if doing our job..are thinking about the what could happen scenerios.

Just remember...the f/a you p#*@ off just might be the one who gives you cpr or drags you off a flaming aircraft. B) ;)

Thanks for yours posts Trin03 and Firstamendment. I saved my granddaughters life a couple of years ago, due to my training as a Flight Attendant.

I am very greatful to have been given the opportunity to experience this "career", inspite of the many serious issues facing our profession.

Looking back over the posts on this thread, it appears to me, that most of the whiners and complainers are NOT the flight attendants themselves. <_<

ktflyhome said:
Thanks for yours posts Trin03 and Firstamendment. I saved my granddaughters life a couple of years ago, due to my training as a Flight Attendant.

I am very greatful to have been given the opportunity to experience this "career", inspite of the many serious issues facing our profession.

Looking back over the posts on this thread, it appears to me, that most of the whiners and complainers are NOT the flight attendants themselves. <_<
May God bless all our flight attendants & thank you for the job you do. It's just like because my leo training & past experience I think different than most others.

PineyBob said:
I have pointed out on this very thread that F/A's DO get special training. I also made the silly Sales Training comparision to lighten the mood. But since you and so many others have no sense of humor it went past you.
There was nothing humorous about your initial response to the post, It was cruel and without compassion. I enjoy good humor! You were just not funny.

Again, you turn it around to make it all about you. What a shocker!

My appologies to the flight attendants on this thread for even responding to "Piney's" post.

Back to the real deal!!!

Kudos to you , curent, past and future..... It is because of you... that flying does become a memorable experience for that person who takes their first ride, or a les stressful experience for one who is afraid to fly or worred about getting to a loved one when they are ill.

Oh yeah and thanks Pit Bull!!!! For standing up for what you believe in and who you believe in.... It does not matter if all agree on the same thing,... the bottom line is that you stand firmly as an extended family!

YOU GO GIRLS!!!!!

Trin03 said:
I thought it was an amazing post and I have several friends and relatives that are and have been flight attendants. I appreciate and teach my children to appreciate and honor each flight attendant ( and pilot) that they come in contact with. The results? They know that respect is countered with respect and kindness with kindness.
YOU ROCK, TRIN03

Thanks for your kind words.
You are teaching your children to be mindful of others through respect. Later in life, they will be admired not because of what they do or not do but for the goodness we will see shining from their hearts.
Thank you for being a good parent. :D

PineyBob said:
Well consider that one of my learners may have been on that flight coming in for the class? He paid $1,000 for the ticket, got into his hotel late. gets his binder only to find it is now useless because the projector is broken and all of the material in the binder is linked to the slide presentation.

The bulb blows at 8AM, no extras are available. It's now 8:30AM and you realize you have no projector and you have Exactly 30 minutes to formulate a session that adds value and justifies the thousands of dollars your learner spent to see my fat arse teach. I get paid for my industry experience and the ability to think on my feet.

F/A's get paid to assist in an emergency and the balance of the time serve drinks and make nice. The other thing is on the F/A side is there are life threatening decisions that have to be made. The worst thing is I get a burn from the light bulb.

Bottom line don't diminish my career by trying to elevate your and I'll do likewise. I mean do you see how whinny I sound?
Well, considering that he paid a THOUSAND dollars for his ticket, it was unrestricted. Meaning he could change flights without restrictions. Why would anyone take a LATE/last flight of the night for an EARLY morning presentation? Summer weather? Delays, Mechanicals. Road warriors know these things.
Turn on the weather channel!
Broken projector?
Wouldnt it have been a GOOD IDEA to have a BACK UP PLAN? And why wouldnt this person THINK to bring a spare LIGHT BULB? Isnt that just good common sense? :blink:

Two quick points:

1) 99% of our job is performed far less then 1% of the time; and,

2) If it weren't for that less then 1% we would not even be on the plane, you would have vending machines.

When was the last time.

"You had an LCD projector bulb go out and your entire 271 slide PowerPoint was unusable and you had to create a training session on the fly as your learners walked in?

When was the last time you had to deal with an arrogant slob who disrespected your entire class by refusing to turn off his cell phone?

Or have students walking in and out disrupting your entire class?

NEWS FLASH! WORK SUCKS

FILM AT ELEVEN "

You compare a light bulb going out to an emergency evacuation, or smoke in the cabin at 20K, or heart attack victims being your responsibility. LOL You poor SOB, can't you figure out how to beg borrow or steal a loaner LCD projector. They sell brand new ones at walmart for under 7oo bucks, or just print out the powerpoint slides and hand them out. What a freaken CRISIS. Jack***.

OK,
Today, what is the min. hrs. required by the FAA for F/A training to perform their duties? As I remember, it's not that much.