Flight number "427" no longer retired.

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Was looking for flifo in SABRE yesterday for another flight and fat fingered the flight number as "427" and was surprised to find that it is being used again:
Flight Status

* Make A Reservation

Flight # 427
Depart Reno, NV
Date 2/24/2007
Gate
Scheduled 3:44 PM
Actual 3:44 PM
Status Departed

Arrive Phoenix, AZ
Date 2/24/2007
Gate
Scheduled 6:23 PM
Actual 6:22 PM
Status Arrived

Flight # 427
Depart Phoenix, AZ
Date 2/24/2007
Gate
Scheduled 7:15 PM
Actual 7:17 PM
Status Departed

Arrive El Paso, TX
Date 2/24/2007
Gate
Scheduled 8:22 PM
Actual 8:29 PM
Status Arrived

Yes, it is HP metal with a Cactus callsign. But I still found it a bit spooky. A while back US was running a flight "1771" but the number was withdrawn quickly. And 1771 was actually a PS flight number. I wonder if the 427 number slipped through the cracks or if Tempe does not know the about the memories it might bring back for a lot of people.

Was looking for flifo in SABRE yesterday for another flight and fat fingered the flight number as "427" and was surprised to find that it is being used again:
Flight Status

* Make A Reservation
Flight # 427
Depart Reno, NV
Date 2/24/2007
Gate
Scheduled 3:44 PM
Actual 3:44 PM
Status Departed

Arrive Phoenix, AZ
Date 2/24/2007
Gate
Scheduled 6:23 PM
Actual 6:22 PM
Status Arrived

Flight # 427
Depart Phoenix, AZ
Date 2/24/2007
Gate
Scheduled 7:15 PM
Actual 7:17 PM
Status Departed

Arrive El Paso, TX
Date 2/24/2007
Gate
Scheduled 8:22 PM
Actual 8:29 PM
Status Arrived

Yes, it is HP metal with a Cactus callsign. But I still found it a bit spooky. A while back US was running a flight "1771" but the number was withdrawn quickly. And 1771 was actually a PS flight number. I wonder if the 427 number slipped through the cracks or if Tempe does not know the about the memories it might bring back for a lot of people.
Sandcastle has no clue whatsoever. They can't even get the retrojets painted correctly the first try. And that being so simple how to you think that they would show respect and honor to the "Fallen Ones". Tempe, You are really beginning to show your class, I mean your Stupidity! :down: :down: :down:

I'm sorry, but that type of oversight is not forgivable. These people are MORONS with a capital S.

I believe it goes by the callsign CACTUS 427. CACTUS 427 has no negative history attached to it. Is there any end to the things east people will whine and cry about?: paint color, boarding priority, a need to fixate on the tragedies of the past. This is not the former US Airways, as much as some may try to maintain that it is.

Move on.

I believe it goes by the callsign CACTUS 427. CACTUS 427 has no negative history attached to it. Is there any end to the things east people will whine and cry about?: paint color, boarding priority, a need to fixate on the tragedies of the past. This is not the former US Airways, as much as some may try to maintain that it is.

Move on.
It,s not the call sign that people make reservations on.

You can,t be serious with your remark. :down:

Move on.

As I said in the original post, the callsign is "Cactus 427". The flight, however, is marketed with the US427 number. Some airlines permanently retire flight numbers from a tragic crash, some don't. Some reuse the flight number after some years. Flight 427 was the worst crash in the company's history and is considered by many to be "milestone" accident because of the problem with 737 rudder system and the industry wide implications. There are also two books in print about the crash. The number should be retired permanently.

Move on.

Fact is, the name of the airline is US Airways, not America West. US Airways flight 427 suffered a horrible accident. Out of respect (and long standing tradition in this industry) the flight number should be retired, period.

Your statement shows no knowledge of institutional history, an incredible lack of decorum, and absolutely no respect for those who lost their lives in that crash.

Move on.

You obviously have no respect for the airline industry, tradition or humanity.

and YES, part of your company is the former US Airways from employees to passengers, aircraft to facilities it's a part of you now. You managers wanted to keep the name remember? Evidentally there wasn't enough confidence in the name America West. That's pretty bad given the disrespect US Airways name gets.

Flight 427 was a horrific tragedy for US Airways, the people of Pittsburgh and the aviation industry. You'd have to have NO CLUE ABOUT THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY to make this kind of mistake! Need I say more?

Geez, what a bunch of superstitious people. :rolleyes:

I say we retire the silly practice of not using a flight number from a crash long ago, especially if it's a different airline (different name, too, USAir 427).

Move on!

Why don't you try and sell that GARBAGE to the families of everyone lost on 427. That crash still brings tears to my eyes and runs deep. HOW DARE US Airways make such a stupid move!!! :down:

Latest posts