Flight number "427" no longer retired.

As mentioned in the first post on this topic, 1771 came back into use a couple of years ago, but was changed. Some people at work said they didn't see an issue since 1771 was a
PSA flight number. I thought that since 1771 occurred after PSA became a US subsidiary, that number should not be used. 1771 was also an especially traumatic incident for the industry as well as for PS/US.
The circumstances alone concerning THIS incident and how it touched the various employee groups would be a REASON to purge this number from the system. (If I recall, it was this incident that necessitated security screening of all airline employees......well before the 9/11 era).

My only question regarding this topic is: How long of a 'statute of limitations' should there be?
Should 'retired' flight numbers still include, for instance, the PSA San Diego midair of 1978? How about the Mohawk FH-227 that destroyed a house on approach to Albany shgortly before the merger (1972?), or the Lake Central CV-580 that lost a prop and crashed shortly before that merger back in '67/'68?. Or the brand-new Piedmont 727 that collieded with a small plane and crashed near Asheville about that same time?
How far back do you go?

My only question regarding this topic is: How long of a 'statute of limitations' should there be?
Should 'retired' flight numbers still include, for instance, the PSA San Diego midair of 1978? How about the Mohawk FH-227 that destroyed a house on approach to Albany shgortly before the merger (1972?), or the Lake Central CV-580 that lost a prop and crashed shortly before that merger back in '67/'68?. Or the brand-new Piedmont 727 that collieded with a small plane and crashed near Asheville about that same time?
How far back do you go?

Obviously the answer would be those 5 and I would include the PSA accidents as well. Given the fact that any news story about US in the early - mid 90's had a tag of "5 crashes in 5 years". Let those flight numbers, and the memories of those who perished on them rest forever.

Apparently AA goes back to the 60's as they still have 383 (CVG 1965) as well as 191 retired. Interestingly enough they have no flight 800 (as in TWA 800). Flights 1 (JFK 1962) & 625 (STT 1976) are still active. The more recent accidents in Cali and LIT and JFK are still retired, along with those involved on 9/11.

United has 232; 553 (MDW 1972); 811 (Hawaii 1989); & 585 (COS 1991) retired as well as those involved on 9/11. Still active: 826 (midair w/TWA Connie 1960), 859 (DEN 1961); 389 (Lake Michigan 1965); 227 (SLC 1965); 266 (LAX 1969); & 173 (PDX 1978).

Delta has retired 191 and 1141 (both DFW), but 723 (BOS 1973) is active as well as 2605 (Western flight MEX 1979).

NWA retired 305 (DB Cooper's Flight); 255 (DTW 1987) & 1482 (DTW 1990).

Continental retired 1713 (DEN 1987) but 11 (Kansas 1962) is still active.

I believe it goes by the callsign CACTUS 427. CACTUS 427 has no negative history attached to it. Is there any end to the things east people will whine and cry about?: paint color, boarding priority, a need to fixate on the tragedies of the past. This is not the former US Airways, as much as some may try to maintain that it is.

Move on.
You're out of line with that comment.

Thats one of the most insensitive things you could possibly say. The callsign doesnt matter , what does the side of the aircraft , ticketstock , website say ?

USAirways

405 out of LGA f28 improper deicing....27 fatalities 3/92

Minor correction, there was no error in the deicing. The aircraft was indeed deiced twice due to moderate snow falling , during the extended wait for in line for takeoff the wings became contaminated by snow , during the takeoff roll the FO called rotate 11kts before VR and the Capt rotated 5kts before VR .

The design of the F28/F100 wing, often called a "hard wing" (meaning one without leading edge devices) also meant that it was inherently more susceptible to contamination.

This accident led to the development of a procedure for holdover time , the use of Type 2 , now Type 4 fluid

Then you will probably just fall in love with the fact that there is a Cactus Flight 182 to ...you guessed it...SAN DIEGO!! :rolleyes:

A Cactus 182 means that is probably also sold as "US182"...
With exception of flight 1771 (as I mentioned in another posting) and its unique circumstances, I suppose the flight number of a predecessor carrier might be excluded from being retired. Still any airline running a flight 182 to SAN, even after so many years....

A PSA182 side note: As many readers of this forum know, nearly 40 PSA employees perished in that crash. PSA was conducting interline procedures training (before 1978 PSA did not interline and flew only within Calif) and agents from around the system were heading to the training center near SAN.

For some reason, a group of agents from SFO had been booked via LAX onto 182, instead of nonstop. As the 0700 SFO-LAX flight was being pushed back, the pushback driver exceeded the nose gear swing limit and broke the shear pin on tow bar. For some reason, it took a while to hook up a new tow bar and the SFO contingent missed the connection to 182.

The guy driving the pushback did not have to pay for his drinks for years!

A Cactus 182 means that is probably also sold as "US182"...
With exception of flight 1771 (as I mentioned in another posting) and its unique circumstances, I suppose the flight number of a predecessor carrier might be excluded from being retired. Still any airline running a flight 182 to SAN, even after so many years....

A PSA182 side note: As many readers of this forum know, nearly 40 PSA employees perished in that crash. PSA was conducting interline procedures training (before 1978 PSA did not interline and flew only within Calif) and agents from around the system were heading to the training center near SAN.

For some reason, a group of agents from SFO had been booked via LAX onto 182, instead of nonstop. As the 0700 SFO-LAX flight was being pushed back, the pushback driver exceeded the nose gear swing limit and broke the shear pin on tow bar. For some reason, it took a while to hook up a new tow bar and the SFO contingent missed the connection to 182.

The guy driving the pushback did not have to pay for his drinks for years!

Wow...that's quite the footnote!! Very lucky group of agents,to say the least. Thanks for sharing the story.

I believe it goes by the callsign CACTUS 427. CACTUS 427 has no negative history attached to it. Is there any end to the things east people will whine and cry about?: paint color, boarding priority, a need to fixate on the tragedies of the past. This is not the former US Airways, as much as some may try to maintain that it is.

Move on.
Tell me luvin737s, at what point should I stop missing the two friends I lost on 427? Please tell their spouses and families as well. I'm sure they'd like to know too.

This is not the former US Airways, as much as some may try to maintain that it is.

Move on.

I don't believe that we try to maintain that! We all know what a "ghetto" airline we have become since America West took over.

Latest posts