Flight number "427" no longer retired.

Why don't you try and sell that GARBAGE to the families of everyone lost on 427. That crash still brings tears to my eyes and runs deep. HOW DARE US Airways make such a stupid move!!! :down:

sky high states: I agree. Maybe someone should ask them:

The Flight 427 victims' families, most from Pittsburgh, formed a nonprofit group -- the National Air Disaster Alliance/Foundation -- that continues to help other victims of air crashes and lobbies for safety changes.

The group has helped victims from more than 100 aviation crashes. It is a member of the FAA's rule-making committee and has played a part in making significant safety changes, including putting smoke detectors in cargo holds and redesigning fuel tanks.

"With Flight 427, there were a lot of professional people from Pittsburgh that left behind so many widows. They bonded very quickly and found each other very quickly," said Gail Dunham, the group's director. "It was the USAir 427 family members who met and founded the group in Pittsburgh in 1995. That's one of the good things that's come out of it. We've accomplished many things."

only stating opinion.

I believe it goes by the callsign CACTUS 427. CACTUS 427 has no negative history attached to it. Is there any end to the things east people will whine and cry about?: paint color, boarding priority, a need to fixate on the tragedies of the past. This is not the former US Airways, as much as some may try to maintain that it is.

Move on.

Move on?

Did you lose anybody on that plane?

I did!!!

I don't need to be reminded of 427 if it's alright with you.

Heartless, simply heartless!!

:down:

Move on?
Did you lose anybody on that plane?
I did!!!
I don't need to be reminded of 427 if it's alright with you.
Heartless, simply heartless!!
:down:

sky high states: I worked weekly flights out of Chicago that month to Pittsburgh. The Agent would come down and comment, we have griefing relatives coming onboard for funerals. I had to fight back tears every week. The City of Pittsburgh grieved along side, USAir. I remember that summer night coming home and catching the coverage on KDKA.

only stating opinions.

i believe that the FLT 427 should be retired permanetly. that is completely wrong to put it up there those families who lost loved ones on that 737 went thru a pain that they will never go away and this will no doubt cause a lot more greif than what they went thru in the hrs days weeks and yrs since that fteful night

Geez, what a bunch of superstitious people. :rolleyes:

I say we retire the silly practice of not using a flight number from a crash long ago, especially if it's a different airline (different name, too, USAir 427).

Move on!
Another moron speaks. Its not superstition. Its paying respect to those that lost loved ones.

sky high states: I worked weekly flights out of Chicago that month to Pittsburgh. The Agent would come down and comment, we have griefing relatives coming onboard for funerals. I had to fight back tears every week. The City of Pittsburgh grieved along side, USAir. I remember that summer night coming home and catching the coverage on KDKA.

only stating opinions.

I agree it should remain a retired number.

I recall my neighbor/co-worker running up the street (she had be out jogging) but now she was running and she cried "one our planes just went down", we didn't live far from the crash site. Sheer terror is the only words I can use to describe her face.

Remember all the co-workers who became part of the seach & recover team? A lot of them never came back, the site (sight) was too much to handle. To this day flowers are left at the side of Route 60.

Hopefully this is a terrible oversite on SandCastle's part.
IF not, they'll be hearing from us soon....

Geez, what a bunch of superstitious people. :rolleyes:

I say we retire the silly practice of not using a flight number from a crash long ago, especially if it's a different airline (different name, too, USAir 427).

Move on!
JS, you have shown what an A$$ you are! You have ZERO understanding of this industry.

JS, you have shown what an A$$ you are! You have ZERO understanding of this industry.

Yeah, I guess I don't understand the industry's obsession with a flight number.

Should Boeing rename itself? Should Boeing rename the 737? After all, it was the aircraft design that brought the plane down, not a flight number.

Sorry for trying to bring logic into the thread.

You obviously have no respect for the airline industry, tradition or humanity.

and YES, part of your company is the former US Airways from employees to passengers, aircraft to facilities it's a part of you now. You managers wanted to keep the name remember? Evidentally there wasn't enough confidence in the name America West. That's pretty bad given the disrespect US Airways name gets.
It had nothing to do with "confidence". Obviously, US has more brand recognition. The same logic applied when US wanted to purchase insolvent delta and keep that "highly" respected name. :down: Back to topic... flight 427 should be retired.

The retiring of a flight number is a small tribute and rememberance to those who have gone before as well as a reminder to all of us.

This is in the same tradition as we recognize those who have left us to soon in many other ways.

If we decide to not retire Flight numbers in rememberance of those who left us perhaps we should

- Bulldoze the Viet Nam Memorial. Afterall they won't be any less dead if we have a monument or not. Move on!

- Same with the Mardisson in Bastogne, BE that comemorates the the Battle of the Bulge. Who needs it! Move on!

- Get rid of the M. L. King Memorial He's dead!! Move on!

- Better still get rid of ALL the monuments in DC, turn the land over to developers and have them put us McMansions and increase the tax base for the DC schools! It's Progress! Move on!

When we as a society become so jaded that we can't take time to reflect and remember we have truely lost out way.

You know it's great fun to post and give opinions here and to hurl slings and arrows at Management. There but for the Grace of God it could have been anyone of us working, or riding on that flight. I for one choose to remember.

Oh please. A flight number exists for one purpose only, and that is to identify a flight. It's not a war memorial.

Flight 123 today is not the same as flight 123 yesterday; otherwise we would be using flight numbers in the millions by now. A flight number is about as useful as a gas station receipt from 1990 that says you paid 98.9 cents a gallon.

We don't rename highways after a crash. The World Trade Center station on the E line in Manhattan is still called "World Trade Center". Of all things to rename, you would think a demolished train station under a demolished office building would qualify. Yet it's still called World Trade Center station.

Almost 3,000 people died on 9/11 and no one renamed the train station after it was re-built, and you people are freaking out because US Airways/America West has a flight 427 from Reno to Phoenix to El Paso? Move on!

Oh please. A flight number exists for one purpose only, and that is to identify a flight. It's not a war memorial.

And a jersey number is nothing more than to identify a player, but sport teams and leagues retire jersey numbers all the time. Why? To pay respect. You see, there comes a time when a number is more than just a number. It is used to represent something. In this case, 427 represents a tragedy that was very hard to overcome. We don't need a reminder of this tragedy. We need to pay our tributes to this tragedy, which retiring Flight 427 does.

It's not about the number. It's about respect. It's about a tribute to a tragedy.

And a jersey number is nothing more than to identify a player, but sport teams and leagues retire jersey numbers all the time. Why? To pay respect. You see, there comes a time when a number is more than just a number. It is used to represent something. In this case, 427 represents a tragedy that was very hard to overcome. We don't need a reminder of this tragedy. We need to pay our tributes to this tragedy, which retiring Flight 427 does.

It's not about the number. It's about respect. It's about a tribute to a tragedy.

I think retiring a jersey number is stupid too.

Small-minded people can attach too much meaning to a number, equating the number with the person (or event, etc.) because they're incapable of separating the number with the person/event/etc.

Do what you want, I don't really care; I'm just saying it's stupid, just like astrology.

Question: I see one post that says 427 should be retired so we don't forget the lives lost, while another post says we don't need a reminder to the tragedy. Which is it?

The retiring of a flight number is a small tribute and rememberance to those who have gone before as well as a reminder to all of us.

In this case, 427 represents a tragedy that was very hard to overcome. We don't need a reminder of this tragedy.

I think retiring a jersey number is stupid too.

Small-minded people can attach too much meaning to a number, equating the number with the person (or event, etc.) because they're incapable of separating the number with the person/event/etc.

Do what you want, I don't really care; I'm just saying it's stupid, just like astrology.

Question: I see one post that says 427 should be retired so we don't forget the lives lost, while another post says we don't need a reminder to the tragedy. Which is it?

That's your opinion, and we all (well, most of us) respect that. However, the vast majority of us like to honor this aged tradition.

And there is no specific answer to your question. It can mean various things to various people. While you feel it is of no importance, others feel that it is a good way to remember the tragedy, while others feel that it is a good way to never think about it again. Various opinions, but all correct in their own way.

Personally, I think 427 should be kept retired. US Airways isn't just an airline, it is a family and livelihood to a lot of people, and that tragedy is a painful memory to them. Keeping the flight number would just be saying that it was just another flight, which just isn't right. We must pay our respects to the passengers and crew. Building a memorial is one way. Retiring a flight number is another.

JS
You clearly have no idea of this issue. You keep making yourself look more like an idiot
with each response you post.

You act lke a child that cant get ts way. GROW UP

Back