Fll Announcement On Monday At 10:30

I am confused about something.

For many months, the typical mantra on here from many of the regular posters has been "hub-and-spoke bad; point-to-point good" (repeat when necessary).

So to all those people who have been criticizing management for not moving faster towards a point-to-point model, doesn't an announcement about another hub-and-spoke system represent a step in the WRONG direction to you???

Bear96 said:

For many months, the typical mantra on here from many of the regular posters has been "hub-and-spoke bad; point-to-point good" (repeat when necessary).

So to all those people who have been criticizing management for not moving faster towards a point-to-point model, doesn't an announcement about another hub-and-spoke system represent a step in the WRONG direction to you???
[post="172022"][/post]​

I don't think that's what they are announcing.

I wouldn't use the term 'hub' for ANY airport at which it is possible to make connections. Are DCA, BOS and LGA hubs for U? It's a matter of scale and degree. Mostly, I'd look for a certain ratio of connecting traffic over O and D. Let's just say 51% connecting traffic over O & D, before I'd call it a hub, or something.

Hope777 said:
Well they are adding flights from the N.E. that happen to connect with Carib flights, what would we call that?
[post="172036"][/post]​

We call those "how USAirways plans to fill remaining seats on the destinations that are served only from FLL" flights.

Don't fool yourself, the bulk of this operation is going to be O&D traffic.

Also, the GoFares to the new international destinations. That's a joke, and nothing more than a marketing tactic. The fares aren't going to be cheap. The introductory GoFares are $298 rtn, and those are going to be hard to find after this gets rolling.

Bear96 said:

[post="172022"][/post]​

I think this is the beginning of the plan of the hybrid LCC. Notice the RJ's and where they are flying as well as the 319's. And then notice the fares. This is in keeping with the setup that will be presented to the C11 judge during the hearings. Proof, if you will, of the companies intent to operate in a LCC enviornment thus proving to the judge the need for the LCC work rules and wages.

Good deal? Depends on where you sit doesn't it? They are taking an extremely senior work force with many years of loyal service and forcing a LCC contract upon those who survive the coming cuts. They probably figure they can weather the resignations that will occur with the laid off who want to return. Kind of a perfect storm for airline management. This will be one talked about for decades.

mr