FLL as a focus city is DONE!

PBI2FLL

Senior
Jul 5, 2005
The remaining Carribean flights CUN, KIN and SDQ are gone!
2 EYW frequencies will remain, that flight does really well, however Republic's reliability and constant tech issues with the E170 is another story....

So, FLL will be down to 22 daily flights, which does include 2 PHX flights on WEST metal and 2 LAS flights on EAST metal.

NO involuntary furloughs, thankfully! They say flights will gradually build back up with the usual seasonal adjustments in November...BUT the Carribean service WILL NOT return to FLL, unfortunately.

Given the operational problems encountered at FLL, and US Airways' shrinking mainline fleet, it's probably the right thing to do at this point - but I still think BBB had a good idea with this strategy. US tried to implement it too quickly and on the cheap - just needed better planning and execution.

I don't see any BOS/FLL nonstops in the schedule then (or later on) either. These had come and gone seasonally, but there was still one showing up for next winter just a few weeks ago. They're stupid if they don't have at least one. Forcing everyone that wants to fly US to Florida through PHL and CLT is crazy. I flew this route a lot last winter and the fares were usually up there as were loads.

were these changes posted this past weekend or just today??

IMO, the yields to florida from just about anywhere in the Northeast just aren't strong enough to offer nonstops and be profitable, especially when they are so short on aircraft to do the flying they really want or need to be doing.

edit: just checked on the website and the flights were still there - perhaps it will be changed this weekend??

Well i saw in another forum that if B6 gets more gates in FLL, they plan to start 3-5 more routes. This could be related. Although can't they still be making changes and just be in the middle at the moment and thus why these flts aren't loaded

It's about time we got out of that mess. (Customs/Immigration etc.)

US Airways should look at MIA (or maybe MCO?) for Caribbean, Latin-and South America, if that's what we're planning.

If not, continue to use, and possible expand CLT for the Caribbean, that hub seems to work rather good for connecting traffic.

Hopefully this management team will DO what WE want to do, not based on what our competitors are doing. Am referring to the FLL debacle put forward by our old team, but also this sudden infatuation with JFK, by our new team...The more things change...

SoftLanding

There was a point at which I believe I heard they are looking at MIA as a focus city-especially with the move to the new terminal in the fall. Could it be related to that as well?

PS-PBI2FLL, I may be your way in a week or 2 and look forward to seeing you again.

My best to you all....

If FLL did not work (against Spirit and a limited AA presence), what makes anyone think that MIA would work (against the 10 ton gorilla in the form of AA)?

I think part of the problem(well, most of the problem) with FLL was gate space and location. One snafu for any reason and the rest of the day is a ripple effect cluster because of no place to put the next aircraft.
MIA is supposed to be better as far as that goes.

If FLL did not work (against Spirit and a limited AA presence), what makes anyone think that MIA would work (against the 10 ton gorilla in the form of AA)?

The problem wasn't Spirit or American, It is the VERY inadequate facilities at FLL. Don't think for a minute that the Spirit customers are going to flock back to their airline after standing in a line that zigzags thru the terminal and out the building 3 deep. AND in the hot humid Florida sun to get back thru security. I have seen it and it makes PHL look like a fine greesed wheel. WHAT A MESS!!

Until FLL can get it's act together, let Spirit and Jetblue add to their delays.

The schedule change is for 6/5, and is loaded. BOS-FLL is discontinued

BOS-FLL was actually discontinued last month with the May schedule. I think it will return, but only 'seasonal' for the peak winter season.

Latest posts