Flow through

chichi

Sep 28, 2005
Any word on the discussions for PDT/PSA to flow through to US? I know there is already a flow through, in writing, but its still a little foggy on the details. It sure looks like US will be needing a lot of pilots in the next year!!

Should be! I can't imagine a better way of acquiring additional pilots, especially after all the PDT/PSA pilots have been through with US. We're all in this together. :elvis:

How many current US pilots are on furlough? I doubt they will be needing any from the express carriers anytime soon.

Any word on the discussions for PDT/PSA to flow through to US? I know there is already a flow through, in writing, but its still a little foggy on the details. It sure looks like US will be needing a lot of pilots in the next year!!

Need a lot of pilots in the next year??? Not so sure about this, but hopefully you're on the mark.

Am hearing from a MDA pilot that approximately 50% of our furloughed pilots are turning down the request to come back. This pilot I talked to, a MDA capt., is not coming back for the next couple of years. He was offered LGA/BOS F/O reserve...

Keep in mind B737's will be parked when we receive the E190's, though not one-for-one, that should help alleviate a requirement for "lot of pilots". (Substantial retirements over the next few years, though.)

Anyway, have not heard anything about the flow-through, did not think that it was on the table anymore?!

SoftLanding

Need a lot of pilots in the next year??? Not so sure about this, but hopefully you're on the mark.

Am hearing from a MDA pilot that approximately 50% of our furloughed pilots are turning down the request to come back. This pilot I talked to, a MDA capt., is not coming back for the next couple of years. He was offered LGA/BOS F/O reserve...

Keep in mind B737's will be parked when we receive the E190's, though not one-for-one, that should help alleviate a requirement for "lot of pilots". (Substantial retirements over the next few years, though.)

Anyway, have not heard anything about the flow-through, did not think that it was on the table anymore?!

SoftLanding
They are saying on the PDT alpa hotline that the talks are in the works. Saw in the CLT crewroom that due to attrition, retirement, 190's, 757s, etc, that US will need about 1200 pilots. We'll see. Hope it works out. It would be nice to be one united work group(US, AW, PDT, PSA) that could achieve reliability and customer service that we all need to survive.

1,200?

Where did you get that number from?

US just recalled 55 pilots, first time in years.

From the US/East ALPA Web Page:

Please remember we still have 1,519 pilots on furlough with approximately 300 pilots currently working at MDA or Jets For Jobs carriers.

So they have to go through 1,819 pilots.

1,200?

Please remember we still have 1,519 pilots on furlough with approximately 300 pilots currently working at MDA or Jets For Jobs carriers.
Don't know how many will come back. I have friends at FedEx, UPS, Southwest, AirTran, and corporate that won't be back. I'd estimate about 1/3 will return. Don't know how many will delay returning to avoid right seat on E-jets since they make more now. So...

They are saying on the PDT alpa hotline that the talks are in the works. Saw in the CLT crewroom that due to attrition, retirement, 190's, 757s, etc, that US will need about 1200 pilots. We'll see. Hope it works out. It would be nice to be one united work group(US, AW, PDT, PSA) that could achieve reliability and customer service that we all need to survive.

chichi,

1200 pilots, now that's a stretch :)

However, I'll take it, it'll make me a blockholding B757 Capt., from senior F/O ;)

1200 pilots over the next 5+ years, agree...Actually just about all of us will be gone, if the 60 ago stays...

SoftLanding

I wouldn't be surprised to see US need pilots next year. About 1/3 of the furloughed are coming back. That doesn't mean they won't come back, they just passed for now. The last guy called back of the 55 was number 172 on the APL. There is rumor that another 75 will be recalled on the next bid, and that is not for the 190. The 190 bid should be out soon though with classes starting in Sept. So why will they possibly hire off the street next year? Well USAir may actually be hiring off the street with pilots still on furlough! Doesn't sound possible but it will probably happed. Here's why:

When the recalls start to staff the 190, a furloughed pilot can bypass the FO seat indefinitely. There are about 30 FO's at MDA that are former APL pilots, they will definitely take the right seat of the 190 because it's a pay raise. However, after that most will pass on the right seat. Almost every APL pilot had a chance to come to MDA as a Captain. Almost all turned it down. If they would not fly as a Captain for 60.00/hr, they won't take a FO position for even less money... The 190 right seat will go very junior, very fast. Add to the fact that recalls are happening to the Boeing/Airbus, most will wait for a seat that pays better than the 190 FO position.

When the 190 bid comes out, my bet is that the Captain position will mostly go to current FO's on the 73 and Airbus. It will be a pay raise and they will be block holders. This will open up FO's slots on the 73 and Airbus that currently furloughed pilots will take. It's gonna be interesting how this plays out for sure...

Don't know how many will come back. I have friends at FedEx, UPS, Southwest, AirTran, and corporate that won't be back. I'd estimate about 1/3 will return. Don't know how many will delay returning to avoid right seat on E-jets since they make more now. So...

a320av8r,

I'd say your 1/3 estimate is pretty accurate so far for the recalls on the way down the list. It will get a lot more difficult to predict though once they start back up the list. You can pass on the way down the list. On the way back up the list you forfeit your right to recall.

a320av8r,

I'd say your 1/3 estimate is pretty accurate so far for the recalls on the way down the list. It will get a lot more difficult to predict though once they start back up the list. You can pass on the way down the list. On the way back up the list you forfeit your right to recall.
How many 190s are on order and how many pilots per plane to staff it? I have heard 90 planes at 10 pilots /plane. Fact or fiction?

1,200?

So they have to go through 1,819 pilots.

Yet, somehow PDT/PSA/ALG pilots ended up at MDA flying EMBs. 1,519 pilots passed up the E170.

Actual Mainline Attrition = 20 pilots/month
Staffing at US Air Mainline = 11 pilots/plane
Staffing at AWA = 13 pilots/plane

E-190 initial order 25 Aircraft X 11 pilots = 275
New 757s recalls = 55
US Air/AWA retirements over next 2.5 years = 686

1,016 slots needed to be filled over next 2.5 years at US Air. Then in 2009, 279 more retire. By 2011, 1,501 retirements. Plus additional aircraft orders arriving.

55 Recalls for May went 170 deep. Pass rate of 67%.
Furloughees do not have to accept E190 FO slots.

Mainline will be hiring off the street or using flow thru pilots in the next 18 to 24 months to fill right seat slots on the E190.

Were there more furloughs after MDA started up? Wouldn't those pilots be coming back before MDA pilots?