From the IAM 141m web site

----------------
On 8/7/2003 10:55:44 AM PITMTC wrote:

Ohhhh, one airplane sits until the mechanic is done with one push and is ready and able to do the other. In the meantime the a/c would be delayed.

Hmmm, you guys must be really hard core. The "Union" must really be strong in CLT.

I'm sorry, LavMan.
I had things all wrong. I guess you are right and I am wrong.

The union runs things. All the good things are the Unions doing because they fight and all the bad things are the company's doing.

I quit.

----------------​
PITMTC-theyare willing to take action as per the contract to fight for their contractual right to pushbacks and do get their way as per the contract.if you and your 'brothers' are willing to let things go on a daily basis 'status quo' then you at the pit line are all guilty of letting these things come to pass.why can't you take some responsibility and address these problems as they do in clt?or is it that you wish AMFA to come in and do it for you while YOU sit in the readyroom and watch TV? t

----------------
On 8/7/2003 10:55:44 AM PITMTC wrote:

Ohhhh, one airplane sits until the mechanic is done with one push and is ready and able to do the other. In the meantime the a/c would be delayed.
yes,but what about your contract?
Hmmm, you guys must be really hard core. The "Union" must really be strong in CLT.
the union in clt is only as strong as its members.................................................I'm sorry, LavMan.
I had things all wrong. I guess you are right and I am wrong.

The union runs things. All the good things are the Unions doing because they fight and all the bad things are the company's doing.
yes the union runs things when its memebers are willing to abide by the contractual obligations they agreed to.....whats so hard to comprehend? ......? I quit.

i see you're a quitter...i rest my case...i smell an AMFA do it for me lover...------​

PITMTC: after digesting your posts.....i find that what you are trying to say is this..........
in charlotte its ok for OUR union brothers to abide by the contract,no matter what the results are.HOWEVER in pit we can't abide by the contract as we're short handed and have to maintain our on time performance. well i think if you check,CLT has the same staffing ratio as PIT as far as R+D goes...so if they don't tolerate contractual violations and PIT does...then who's right and who's wrong?
if PIT can't accomplish the job that CLT does...then theres a manpower issue and it should be addressed...its not YOUR problem that management has supposedly short staffed you.management is using you to accomplish there mission while circumventing the contract.....you are letting this happen....didn't you forfeit vacation.med's,hourly wages,and you still bail them out?I THINK YOU NEED AMFA TO SOLVE ALL YOUR LITTLE QUANDRIES THAT YOU CAN'T SOLVE FOR YOURSELF!
dude...when you going to take it by the horn and stand by your contract?or would you rather i do it for you?

Ok Dell, now you get some education.

You can read back as far as you can on these posts, I NEVER posted positively about voting AMFA. Actually you will read that I blame others on this board for going AMFA just because they are fustrated with the IAM. We have just lost faith in the union when the truth is the company did a better job of getting through the restructuring process. You know what that did? It made the IAM a little smarter and they probably won't make the same mistakes twice. Also by showing them that we are willing to drop them like United has, two things can happen.
One, they may make desperate moves to try and prove they are still strong and it will again cost us again (Airbus hvy mtc comes to mind).
Two, they learned a good lesson and will bargain , but smarter (they think) this time and it will cost us again, (Airbus Hvy mtc).
So we are in a loose, loose situation.

Now about the Line staffing issue.

LavMan stated there is one mechanic for every two gates in CLT. We have five mechanics for twelve gates in PIT.

Do you know how line staffing works?
I will tell you. It is one mechanic for every pusbback. Two pushes within 10 minutes of each other will cause two mechanic staffing. If two pushes are over ten minutes apart then that same mechanic can push one then go to the next one (charts and graphs of course).
We don't have as many flights as CLT so our mechanic staffing is less.
We are, per the contract, staffed correctly. The only problem is the manpower staffing does not take into account "other maintenance work" only scheduled departures.
Let me try to break it down to you as I did LavMan, (even though you said you digested my previous post).
We have five mechanics for 12 gates because at any given time only five gates push at once within ten minutes of the next. But we may have 10 dailys at once on those twelve gates. The mechanics do one set of dailys then go to the next, it the mean time some of those departures are due to leave. Is this ramp doing our work or is it maintenance performing other work. Now God forbid you have to change a couple of tires or accomplish an MEL procedure or take an a/c out on a run. With five mechanics to start with, how many does that leave you?
Can you now see why the staffing is correct but, does not work.
Can you see why education in the contract and actual matters prevents an educated person from arguing issues that one can't win?
Do you now see why I have a problem with LavMans posts on issues that we truly have no control over?
Can you now see why the IAM or you AGC will not argue every issue you bring up?
It is all in the contract but, it is just written in a language that a person who is not educated on both sides of the story can decipher.
Don't be angry or dissapointed in my posts, I am a reasonable person and hard worker who got a reality check a long time ago.

So no, I am not a quitter and no, I am not letting the company get away with what they are not contractualy able to get. I signed the contract and I wll live by what I voted for, even though it is not all what I think it is. And believe me, the Union does not even know every thing we signed for. There is probably things in there we have still not learned about.

On Thursday, August 7, the Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin wrote, "But we were informed that this is a restructuring of how US Airways is going to conduct its maintenance work systemwide," Broome County Commissioner of Transportation Carl G. Olson said. "It's not about being in Binghamton or not being in Binghamton. They're going to begin contracting out a much larger portion of their regular aircraft maintenance work to private companies," he said.

US Airways spokeswoman Amy Kudwa would not say whether maintenance bases at other locations also would be closing. "Our office anticipates similar actions at other US Airways maintenance facilities systemwide," Olson said.

The closing will not affect Allegheny flight service at Greater Binghamton Airport, Kudwa said. Allegheny Airlines operates as a US Airways Express carrier at the airport.

Chip, our contract prevents them from farming out maintenance, how many times have I posted that our scope language in regards to the overhaul of aircraft has not changed since 1949, the IAM owns the exclusive rights to that work.

At the last labor coalition meeting all the others unions were informed if the company tries to farm out the airbus we will shut the place down.

----------------
On 8/9/2003 11:50:24 PM LavMan wrote:

Chip, our contract prevents them from farming out maintenance, how many times have I posted that our scope language in regards to the overhaul of aircraft has not changed since 1949, the IAM owns the exclusive rights to that work.

At the last labor coalition meeting all the others unions were informed if the company tries to farm out the airbus we will shut the place down.

----------------​
Hey LavMan, Right on, Right on, Right on, It's nice to see there is still some one out there that has a set, and call's it like it is. The work belongs to the I.A.M. by contract. We will fight for it. We we're hosed in court during the bankrupt prosses, but thats over now. If Dave's as smart as everyone says, then he truly is not looking for this fight. Probably just testing the waters to see how weak those scamfa guys realy are.

Do you know how line staffing works?
I will tell you. It is one mechanic for every pusbback. Two pushes within 10 minutes of each other will cause two mechanic staffing. If two pushes are over ten minutes apart then that same mechanic can push one then go to the next one (charts and graphs of course).
We don't have as many flights as CLT so our mechanic staffing is less.
We are, per the contract, staffed correctly. The only problem is the manpower staffing does not take into account "other maintenance work" only scheduled departures

Interesting, when I worked Pit line I always had 2 gates and usually a daily in the morning. And this before any contract change or cut backs. I also never got any help. I wonder?
2.gif

----------------
On 8/9/2003 11:50:24 PM
LavMan wrote:

----------------​
Oh really!

Let's talk about shops.

Instruments, Avionics, and other shops have had their work farmed out without a fight. Neither the IAM leadership, nor the rank and file, has shed a tear for any of that work. The precedents have been set, and now it's heavy maintenance's turn.

Will the people we elect to represent us under AMFA be less co-operative with management? Who knows? But we certianly know the existing representation: Local, Districe, and National, are willing to trade skilled for unskilled or lessing paying jobs.

What happens when a subcontractor fails to perform it's job?

You fire them, and hire another subcontractor (representative agency).

Oh well, I guess I'm wrong, AGAIN.
I work in PIT now and T-Bone worked on PIT Line before so I guess he and LavMan(CLT)know how things are going and I must be dreaming.
No wonder we are so happy right now, with all you know-it-alls around here.
You guys make me giggle.

letterhead.gif

US Airways Representational Update
August 8, 2003

AMFA National received more information concerning furloughed employees and additional authorization cards over the weekend.
The representational status at US Air was discussed at length during the National Executive Council (NEC) meeting held on August 5. The NEC has determined that the US Air supporters are very close to achieving their goal and will commence with a more active roll to assist our supporters in achieving the representational election that they currently seek.
AMFA National is:
1. Establishing contact with furloughed US Air mechanic and related employees
2. Notifying current card signers of their expiration date
3. Scheduling informational meetings at cities on the US Air system
With the additional information we are receiving and the NEC’s commitment we are confident that AMFA National will be able to file for a representational election on US Air in the near future.
Sincerely,
Terry Harvey
Assistant National Director

Chip, is this artical refering to US Airways Express carrier?
About 40 employees to lose jobs in SeptemberBY MY-LY NGUYEN
Press & Sun-Bulletin

TOWN OF MAINE -- Allegheny Airlines is closing its maintenance base at Greater Binghamton Airport/Edwin A. Link Field to reduce costs and increase its competitive position, a US Airways spokeswoman said.
About 40 workers -- including mechanics, supervisors and cleaners -- will lose their jobs when the facility is closed on Sept. 1, US Airways spokeswoman Amy Kudwa said.
Based in Harrisburg, Pa., Allegheny Airlines is a wholly owned subsidiary of US Airways. The carrier's maintenance base at the Town of Maine airport dates back to at least October 1994.
The employees were told about the cuts Wednesday night, she said.
"It's certainly a very different market we're operating in now, compared to before Sept. 11," Kudwa said. "Airlines across the industry are cutting costs."
After less than a year, US Airways emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy March 31.
According to Associated Press reports, the company lost $3.8 billion over the past two years mainly because of the decline in the airline industry following the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.
Throughout the day Thursday, Broome County's executive office had numerous conference calls with US Airways officials to see if the decision to close the base could be reversed, Broome County Commissioner of Transportation Carl G. Olson said.
Allegheny Airlines notified the county Thursday morning.
"But we were informed that this is a restructuring of how US Airways is going to conduct its maintenance work systemwide," Olson said. "It's not about being in Binghamton or not being in Binghamton. They're going to begin contracting out a much larger portion of their regular aircraft maintenance work to private companies."
Kudwa would not say whether maintenance bases at other locations also would be closing.
"Our office anticipates similar actions at other US Airways maintenance facilities systemwide," Olson said.
The closing will not affect Allegheny flight service at Greater Binghamton Airport, Kudwa said.
Allegheny Airlines operates as a US Airways Express carrier at the airport.

Zonecontroller:

Zonecontroller asked: Chip, is this artical refering to US Airways Express carrier?

Chip answers: Zone, yes it is and it’s referring to the Allegheny maintenance operation at Binghamton, which I posted in the thread titled Allegheny to close base at airport.

However, in light of the discussion regarding A320 heavy maintenance and the recent IAM letters posted on their website regarding overhaul work, I believe there may be more to Carl Olson’s (Broome County Commissioner of Transportation) comments, to the Press & Sun-Bulletin, when he said, "But we were informed that this is a restructuring of how US Airways is going to conduct its maintenance work systemwide." My question is what is US Airways’ definition of systemwide and what does management have in store?

Best regards,

Chip

Well, I will "chime in here" with any farming out of maintenance work...

Management pulls that crap and takes a gamble it will be "curtains" for USAirways. IAM took a second vote in the summer ONLY TO SAVE THEIR SCOPE LANGUAGE. And that is the ONLY reason why it passed by a very very thin margin. If managment thinks its part of "restructuring" the airline, they may all just "shut the lights" and say good night, and farewell.

Its like terminating the pilots pension all over again (which IMO was THE most catastrophic event in any concession)...only they are pissing with the mechanics who are no fools. I was surprised that ALPA didn't take the airline out then, actually shocked. But, I believe with the mechanics that do not make the "big dollar" anymore, will surely shut the airline down.
And under that kind of "major, major dispute", can't blame them at all. I have spoken with many mechanics. This is THE most important singular issue there is,and it is serious.

IMO, and with that kind of blantant disregard of the collective bargainging agreement, AND in light of the major give backs twice from the IAM members, some group has GOT to take THE stand in this industry and say in ACTIONS that "enough is enough".

PITBull, I could not have said it any better myself. Enough is Enough. We went on strike for less in 92, the line has been drawn in the sand.

If they farm it out, we will withdraw our services, plain and simple.

Latest posts