Furloughed and Frustrated

Swaayze

Advanced
Sep 5, 2002
I'm a little frustrated that we can't seem to post J4J slots in time to allow us to give 2 weeks notice (and with the lack of info for many of us), so I wrote this letter to the company rep and the furlough coordinator today:

Hi (Cxxxxxxx and Dxxx?),

I am writing because I am curious as to why it seems to be difficult to allow us 2 weeks notice for the RPA J4J slots. The class on the 22nd was known about no later than Jan 2 but the preference forms aren't due 'til the 10th, meaning confirmation of slots will occur on the 11th at the very earliest. This would allow at most 10 days notice to a current employer, with the 21st required for travel. I doubt that I would yet accept a position, but I personally won't even consider it without 2 weeks notice (It would cost me over $1000 in lost vacation pay alone). This seems to happen much more often than not. Why?

How many days after the preference forms are required are the slots normally finalized?

What is the APL number and/or DOH of the last pilot who accepted a C/O slot on the latest class at RPA? What about for the mainline recalls?

Are you expecting these classes to continue for the near future?

I ask these questions because (despite being assured twice that I'm on an email list for furloughees), I am still not receiving any information. I only saw the recent update by chance on an internet forum, which is the sole source of info for many of us who've been banned from the U ALPA website. If someone could send me the latest APL I would sure appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for the response and for the time and effort you devote to us furloughed pilots.

Sincerely,

swaayze

There's your answer.

Yes, well. I was trying to be respectful of their time as I'm sure they'd rather not be dealing with us at all. I am pretty perturbed that they cannot offer 2 weeks notice to us. And isn't the Furlough Coordinator still a paid position, or did that cease? Evidently I'm the only one who cares, given the lack of response to this thread. If anyone cares I'll let you know when/if I receive any info in reply.

Swaayze,

Are you sure you want to go back to being treated like trash? I think you might be better off where you're at. Been gone 2 yrs now and only missing friends, not job. IF I were you I would think twice before going back.

Imca

Swaayze,

Are you sure you want to go back to being treated like trash? I think you might be better off where you're at. Been gone 2 yrs now and only missing friends, not job. IF I were you I would think twice before going back.

Imca

No, I'm not sure I want to do either J4J or mainline recall. However where I'm at now (American Eagle FO) ain't all that great either. Truth be told I'd just as soon stay here to avoid commuting and possibly being furloughed again, but the upgrade is still ridiculously far away for me here. At least U would provide a more livable wage and slight hope for a somewhat comfortable retirement.

The lack of information is disappointing. It's a shame because message-boards are a dime a dozen. An enterprising Furlough Administrator could start up a non-ALPA board specifically to provide information to furloughed pilots, password protect it, and run it without running afoul the ALPA policy about being able to view two seperate boards.

Gosh. I'd hate to think of all of the trade secrets Swaayze could bring back to American Eagle if he only had access to the AAA pilots message board. ;)

With regard to the decision to return itself; It is a common misconception that all of the furloughees have found jobs at Southwest, Jetblue, FedEx, etc.

Did you know that many furloughees went to such carriers as Colgan, Comair?

Did you know that some furloughees bounced around for years after going to work at Great Plains, Independance Air, Vanguard, or ATA ...and found themselves out of work a few years later?

Did you know that some furloughees found jobs at corporations or fractionals (some better than others), are on pagers 24/7, and sometimes gone from home weeks at a time?

The decision to return to US Airways is not always black and white. I consider myself very fortunate to have found a good corporate job where I am home almost every night and am never on a pager. But even I occasionally consider a return to US Airways simply because the top-end compensation at the airlines is still higher than I will achieve here.

Information provides pilots with the power to make educated decisions...and it has been severely lacking for a long time. Less than two-weeks notice for a J4J class or recall is unacceptable. There needs to be time to make a decision, act on that decision, and get our affairs in order.

I look forward to hearing the response that you receive from the company.

Gosh. I'd hate to think of all of the trade secrets Swaayze could bring back to American Eagle if he only had access to the AAA pilots message board. ;)

Well I suppose I might gain a lot of insight into the upcoming UCTs. And AMR just loves to listen to info from the employees!

I look forward to hearing the response that you receive from the company.

Not holding my breath; suggest you don't either. I think the gals in the office are probably sick of this whole program by now, and who knows if the Furlough Administrator cares anymore since he's evidently back on mainline already. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I get a legitimate response from either front.

It really is horrible to hear about how ALPA has treated it furloughees. Not that I'm any fan of the APA, but all AA furloughees have access to the APA site which includes a furlough message board and their furlough administrator answering questions.

I'm a little frustrated that we can't seem to post J4J slots in time to allow us to give 2 weeks notice

Swaayze,
What's really sad is they are barely giving guys/gals much more than 4 days notice for this coming class.

How many days after the preference forms are required are the slots normally finalized?

The date of finalizing the "awards" is the 16th for a 22nd class date...really sucks...they have known about this class since mid December.

What is the APL number and/or DOH of the last pilot who accepted a C/O slot on the latest class at RPA?
Not sure...but I think it was somewhere around 250-300 from the bottom.

What about for the mainline recalls?

They are down to sen. #3566 /APL #466 for the Feb. 19th class.

Are you expecting these classes to continue for the near future?

I hear that RJet is going to have another class Feb. 22nd, and the Feb. 19 class at mainline may be the last one until late March/early April. One other note....Rjet is now holding J4J pilots until their replacements are trained. It seems to be taking longer than it should.

Hope this helps.

Dorf

Anyone who comes back complaining right off the bat about recall notice ought to think about staying where they are at. The whole US operation depends heavily on a positive work attitude and work ethic and deciding which battles are worth fighting. Anything less contributes to failure.

Anyone who comes back complaining right off the bat about recall notice ought to think about staying where they are at. The whole US operation depends heavily on a positive work attitude and work ethic and deciding which battles are worth fighting. Anything less contributes to failure.

Yes I suppose you're right. I guess it's always better to shut up and perform instead of simply expressing frustration and asking for an explanation. :blink:

Swaayze,
What's really sad is they are barely giving guys/gals much more than 4 days notice for this coming class.
The date of finalizing the "awards" is the 16th for a 22nd class date...really sucks...they have known about this class since mid December.

Hope this helps.

Dorf

Thank you for the info and for validating my concern. The info does help. I'm sure we're all surprised that I have yet to receive a response to my questions.

Take care

Pilots -The most reliable source of interest-free venture capital

This sounds rather plantiff to me.

??