Going Shopping

Ramp Rogue

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Brother's & Sister's I'm tired. I've had enough of the iam. It's time to shop for a new union. Hopefully one that will have our best interests in mind. Hopefully it's not too late. My first choice is the CWA, because they represent passenger service. Being one function again with passenger service would only make us stronger. It would also give those that would like to transfer inside or outside the opportunity to do so without losing seniority. My second choice would be the teamsters, because they are in conjuction with the CWA. Running third would be UAW. anyone with any suggestions about what union would benefit us most, your comments are appreciated. Ramp agents only please.

I haven't had any problems with Teamster representation at PSA. It would have been pretty cool if we had added a clause like the CWA did concerning mandatory overtime. Well, I guess we learn as we go.

Where are you from , East or West ? As much as most of us are fed up with the current situation i don't think we need to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater ... Right now it *looks* like we should be coming to some sort of accord by the end of the month . The reason i beleive this is because in the last posting that was put out by IAM leadership they stressed that if no progress were being made they would begin to look for other avenues, In the most recent post that was put out , they stressed that serious progress had been made and that they were reviewing legal issues ... I think we've put pressure on the company and now we've also begun to put just a small bit on our own union ... We need to be patient for just awhile longer before we start yelling off with their heads ...

Information on Award and payment for Arbitration win on FT/PT Furlough issue;
On Friday, May 25, 2007, US Airways mailed out checks to CWA members
who are entitled to payments for unpaid furlough time under the
Full-Time/Part-Time Arbitration. Affected members should be receiving checks
shortly. The checks that affected members will receive represents the
full furlough benefit employees who had been displaced from full-time
to part-time and then furloughed should have received when they were
furloughed. The company has committed to reimburse employees for lost
health care expenses in a second payment, which should be mailed out in a
matter of weeks. If you believe that you should have been awarded
lost furlough benefits under this award, but have not received them, or
if you believe the award you have received does not fully reimburse you
for lost furlough benefits, please contact your local immediately.

Report of the Labor and management meeting
May 5, 2007
Janice Garris, CWA 3641 Local President

May 5, 2007

I was invited to attend the Quarterly Board Meeting on Tuesday, May 1st in Tempe , AZ , as was Dan Smith of the IBT. Dan issued a package to each of the Executive Board members requesting that we negotiate a more flexible shift swap policy. He included letters from West employees who were very unhappy with the current limit of 26 shift swaps a quarter. He recommended to the Company that only shifts that were dropped be counted toward the 26 allotted swaps. Trades where both employees were working would not count.

I spoke about the poor morale of our Customer Service Group. I explained to Mr. Parker and to the Board that all airlines have airplanes and have seats to sell. The only factor that differentiates one airline from another is the level of customer service each provides. As the front-line employees for US Airways, our role is crucial to the success of this business. If employee morale is low, the level of service our passengers receive is certain to be affected. The company must take the initiative to improve the morale of our group.

I thanked Mr. Parker for the additional staffing he authorized. I did, however, discuss my concerns regarding new-hire attrition. These new people are being hired at a low rate of pay and won't get their first raise for approximately 2 years. Once they pass training and get on the floor, they inevitably hear all the negative things said by the more senior agents about our working conditions. Understandably, these new people don't want to work for a company where everyone is unhappy, where everyone is trying to find other employment, where everyone hates to come to work. I emphasized to him that it was up to the Company to boost the morale of the Passenger Service Group. I challenged him to raise employee morale up and make this a good place to work again.

I also addressed the Company's policy of adjusting our pay scales back by 15 months, thus delaying our pay raises. I reminded him that the adjustment was negotiated when US Airways was in bankruptcy, but now that the Company is solvent, I feel this practice needs to be rescinded.

Mr. Parker responded to my concerns. He reminded me that everybody knows what they are making when they take the job. He did agree that it is hard apologizing all the time for the poor operation that US Airways has been running, but he assured me that they are working on running a better operation and that this should relieve the stress that the agents have been going through since the cut over to the Shares system.

Other issues were brought to the table by other groups. Mr. Mule' addressed the baggage issues that the company has been facing.

All in all, I felt this was a very productive and positive meeting between Management and the employee representatives.

In Unity,

Janice Garris

President

Latest posts