Great New Money Making Idea

FLYUSAIRWAYS

Advanced
Feb 21, 2004
Now that we are charging $10.00 for a valet box, $10.00 to have a real human being assist you with your ticketing, why not try out my new idea to produce $$$$. Start charging $5.00 for each item placed in an overhead compartment. The flight attendants could collect the cash from the passengers for each piece placed in an overhead. Keep the space, under the seat inn front of you free. The idea behind this would be,(if you want to free up your leg space, you have to pay.) How much you want to bet, if we tried it, and it produced alot of $$$$$, the rest of the legacy carriers would follow suit. I know it sounds crazy, but no more crazy than $5.00 to talk to rez. If this idea starts next week, we will know that Lakefield reads this forum. :rolleyes:

FLYUSAIRWAYS said:
Now that we are charging $10.00 for a valet box, $10.00 to have a real human being assist you with your ticketing, why not try out my new idea to produce $$$$. Start charging $5.00 for each item placed in an overhead compartment.
[post="179000"][/post]​

While your idea is a good one, its only a start in the continuing lowering of the service bar. Both UAL and AAA can lead the industry by considering:

1) Charging a table cleaning fee before you are allowed to eat ANY food onboard

2) Charge a bubble gum chewing fee owing to the potential of gum cleanup

3) Make the toilets "pay toilets", 25 cents/usage, with complementary hand washing

4) Charge 10 cents per cup used, 5 cents for styrofoam. At 25 cents, coffee will still be a bargain

5) Since the air in the cabin is generally cleaner than an inner city's air, charge an air purification fee

6) charge a premium for forward coach seats as it lessens the hastle of enplaning/deplaning

7) lastly, charge a $7 administrative fee which covers the cost of acting as a tax collection agency for a host of government agencies.

Just food for though since managements are already thinking on this level with respect to employee relations.

Sarcastically in DENVER, CO

:down:

:down: lookout here come mainline express to a station near you.and not for
13.01 a hr that will be mainline ,try 11.00 top out.

I think the $5/overhead bin item is more than reasonable. I would add that there would be an additional $5 fee for those who refuse to put rollaboards in wheels first on those a/c that will accomodate that arrangement. (Actually, that would be a stupidity fee. When I would suggest wheels first to them, they always looked at me blankly like I had just said, "Throw your bag through the window.")

jimntx said:
I think the $5/overhead bin item is more than reasonable. I would add that there would be an additional $5 fee for those who refuse to put rollaboards in wheels first on those a/c that will accomodate that arrangement. (Actually, that would be a stupidity fee. When I would suggest wheels first to them, they always looked at me blankly like I had just said, "Throw your bag through the window.")
[post="179197"][/post]​

This has always been a pet peeve of mine. I've had many F/As tell me to put my rollerboard in wheels first. However, when I tell them it won't fit, they tell me it will and then do it for me. Well, low and behold, it doesn't fit. Then they say I need to check it. So I say wait a minute ... I flip the baggage around so that handle is in first, wheels are out, and it fits without any problem. In many cases, the bottom of rollerboards are wider than the tops (due to the wheels and such). With the design of the baggage bins, putting wheels out often makes the bag fit in the most efficient way possible. This is true mainly on the Airbus aircraft.

Also, turning the rollerboard upside down often works as well. This is true mainly on the 757s.

USFlyer said:
This is true mainly on the Airbus aircraft.

[post="179212"][/post]​

Well, you can't blame that one on AA. :p The only Airbus we fly is the A300 and only in the International service.

28yrsnojob said:
:down: lookout here come mainline express to a station near you.and not for
13.01 a hr that will be mainline ,try 11.00 top out.
[post="179169"][/post]​

I can't wait to see those RJ's fly int SEA :up:

We should probably resurrect the PeoplExpress policy of charging for canned and bottled soft drinks. You can't get a can of Coke for free anywhere else but on an airliner. We charge for food, why not canned soft drinks. Coffee and tea still free, though. Charging $1.00 for those would be a little over the top, IMHO. And charging anything less than a dollar for anything would be a nightmare for the F/A's to make change.

You want water? Here's a cup of water for free.

You want a BOTTLE of water? $1.00, please.

Back