Grocery Store Customer Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldGuyinPA

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
If you went to a grocery store to buy a few items...

When you went to checkout the only option you were given is a machine instead of a person. No options use it or else. I think most customers would walk away....remember the customer (who pays our salaries) has choices. Our management has decided that they know whats best for our customers. Unfortunately for us...US...the customers have other choices......

Are you listening.....whoever runs (ruins) customer service (no service) at USAirways.

Remember USAir doesn't begin with U (you), it begins with the customer.

OldGuyinPA said:
If you went to a grocery store to buy a few items...

When you went to checkout the only option you were given is a machine instead of a person. No options use it or else. I think most customers would walk away....remember the customer (who pays our salaries) has choices. Our management has decided that they know whats best for our customers. Unfortunately for us...US...the customers have other choices......
Interestingly, here in Washington D.C. the Giant chain of food stores has installed self-checkout in a majority of the stores. 2/3 of the lines are staffed by cashiers, 1/3 are self-checkout. I can't tell you how many times I've seen lines of shopping for the self-checkout lines whilst half way down the line of checkstands, cashiers are standing in front of the checkstand with no customers to check out.

I hate grocery store self-checkout. They don't give you enough room to scan an item and move it out of the way before bagging it. If you have one item, that's OK, but if you have 10, it's a pain.

An airport kiosk is as easy to use as an ATM. I don't think the grocery store analogy fits very well.

ITRADE said:
Interestingly, here in Washington D.C. the Giant chain of food stores has installed self-checkout in a majority of the stores. 2/3 of the lines are staffed by cashiers, 1/3 are self-checkout. I can't tell you how many times I've seen lines of shopping for the self-checkout lines whilst half way down the line of checkstands, cashiers are standing in front of the checkstand with no customers to check out.
I use the Giant Eagle self check out EVERY time I grocery shop which is a few times every single week and prefer it instead of waiting behind an old lady with a $500 order with $600 worth of coupons and listening to her arguing over pennies on something that was mismarked in the aisle.

Sorry, but on this issue the world is changing everywhere EXCEPT on the PA turnpike where they pay people to talk on their call phones all day while collecting your money and earn over $16 an hour which we the tax payers are paying for.

JS said:
I hate grocery store self-checkout. They don't give you enough room to scan an item and move it out of the way before bagging it. If you have one item, that's OK, but if you have 10, it's a pain.

An airport kiosk is as easy to use as an ATM. I don't think the grocery store analogy fits very well.
I used both and disagree. I prefer BOTH

Atm or teller...Grocery store checker or self checkout...The deal is ...that you the customer have a choice. Usair....ways has and is taking away the choice.
Cavalier..you can prefer both thats you choice. One that you made, not one thats been shoved down your throat, by some clown at CCY.

Go over to SWA and see the difference. Game, Set, and Match......

OldGuyinPA said:
Atm or teller...Grocery store checker or self checkout...The deal is ...that you the customer have a choice. Usair....ways has and is taking away the choice.
Cavalier..you can prefer both thats you choice. One that you made, not one thats been shoved down your throat, by some clown at CCY.

Go over to SWA and see the difference. Game, Set, and Match......
YES...shoved down my throat and up my_ _ _ so goes the world such as it is, no argument here.

Cavalier

I place blame ( that is if I worked for UAir)...squarely on the shoulders of whomever ruins customer service. If I worked here, I would be embarrassed daily. I think it's a moot point because I believe the company is in a downward spiral of which it can't pull out.

....waiting for the end to play out........soon I think...

OldGuyinPA said:
Cavalier

I place blame ( that is if I worked for UAir)...squarely on the shoulders of whomever ruins customer service. If I worked here, I would be embarrassed daily. I think it's a moot point because I believe the company is in a downward spiral of which it can't pull out.

....waiting for the end to play out........soon I think...
I agree on the end drawing near.

My mother and aunt recently flew all over the entire U system, FULL PAYING PASSENGERS by the way. When I picked them up at the airport after their journeys my aunt who never says a bad word about anyone as it’s against her nature said this: "Boy everywhere we went those U employees were surly".

I explained to her the reason for their behavior and she just shook her head.

Sure I'll switch to SWA! I can't wait to use all of my Rapid Rewards to go to exotic places like Lubbock, TX and Birmingham, AL. The joys of dealing with real people just like the ones on Airline!

OTOH, I can use a kiosk, earn miles and get free tickets to over 700 destinations in 133 countries via Star Alliance

Bob, you occasionally make some sense. Other times you don't. This is one time that you don't.

Point One: Rapid Rewards tickets. I have four for the calendar year, mom has gotten two, daughter one, and son ought to be getting one after next trip to grandparents.

Do we use them to go to Lubbock? I suppose we could, my sister lives there. Instead, we buy tickets to Lubbock for $30 a pop each way and we use the RR tickets to go someplace costlier. We go to California. Mom and daughter went to Long Island, rode the train in to the city, went to plays and museums and the ballet, and flew back to El Paso. Next family vacation is Florida, I guess.....compliments of Southwest. While BHM and LBB (and even MAF) may not be hotspots for travel and tourism, places like SEA, BWI (to do the nation's capitol thing---for those of us here in the hinterlands), FLL, MCO, SAN, etc etc are not exactly devoid of some appeal.

What's even better is I can actually USE RR tickets. Except for a handful of blackout dates, they are good any time, on any flight that has seats open, with no capacity controls. You have no idea how loudly some of my co-workers curse when they attempt to redeem SkyMiles or AAdvantage miles. Nobody here has any USAirways mile, because they don't fly here.

As far as all these exotic foreign destinations......I don't know about everybody, but who the heck wants to go to all those places? They're full of foreigners. Not to sound xenophobic....but I think Dorothy nailed it in "Thw Wizard of Oz" when she said if you can't find it here at home, you don;t need it all that bad (or words to that effect/)

Point Two: You believe the TV show "Airline" is an accurate reflection of life at Southwest Airlines Co.? I guess you also believe televised wrestling is on the up and up, "Leave it to Beaver" "I Love Lucy" and "Father Knows Best" are accurate reflections of contemporary domestic life in the US, and that television news is simply reporting the news without and sort of spin or ideological agenda. Sheesh.

Bob, it's still a free country, more or less. I know from previous posts that you choose not to fly Southwest. Certainly, that is your prerogative. However, since you don't fly them, it would behoove you not to spout forth with opinions on the airline when you lack any first hand knowledge. Frankly, people pontificating on subjects they know not just tends to make one look foolish.

Have a nice day.

ELP

ELP_WN_Psgr said:
As far as all these exotic foreign destinations......I don't know about everybody, but who the heck wants to go to all those places?
Um...I do. Believe it or not, they do offer things you cannot get at home. I like going to Europe. A lot.

Of course they're filled with foreigners. I don't know if you've noticed, but Texas is filled with Texans, too. That's part of the reason for going.

I agree, however, that WN offers some appealing destinations, covering pretty much all such domestic destinations, save Yellowstone, Alaska and Hawaii.

Personally, I love a quick check out, whether that be at Superfresh, Commerce Bank or at Philadelphia International Airport. However, no matter where you go...it just isn't possible for machines to handle every plausible scenario that may come up. Occasionally you need to deal with someone (or something...) with a pulse.

On a side note, since when did everyone start using their own pics as Avatars? Not a bad thing of course...nice pics ELP_WN_Psgr and JS.

ELP_WN_Psgr said:
As far as all these exotic foreign destinations......I don't know about everybody, but who the heck wants to go to all those places? They're full of foreigners. Not to sound xenophobic....but I think Dorothy nailed it in "Thw Wizard of Oz" when she said if you can't find it here at home, you don;t need it all that bad (or words to that effect/)
This statement in effect sums up why I have lost all respect for your opinions. The US is not always the greatest place in the world and lots of other countries offer lots of other things you cannot get here. For starters, how about "culture" and experiencing life how others live it. Here's a shocker, the rest of the world does not drive ridiculously sized SUVs and is not 50+ lbs overweight.

USFlyer said:
This statement in effect sums up why I have lost all respect for your opinions. The US is not always the greatest place in the world and lots of other countries offer lots of other things you cannot get here. For starters, how about "culture" and experiencing life how others live it. Here's a shocker, the rest of the world does not drive ridiculously sized SUVs and is not 50+ lbs overweight.
I am not overweight.

I don't drive an SUV.

That said. You can go back to the country you crawled out from under, or if you were born here, please by all means makes us all happy and go your utopia country of preference.

LOL a little tongue in cheek sarcasm sure evokes quick commentary from the "Blame America First" crowd.

Are there other places out there besides the USofA? Sure.

Are some of them kind of neat? Yeah. I like England. They speak English there. The Middle East is always fun, although right now is a bad time to do a wine tasting tour of Saudi Arabia. Italy was great since people in Italy can undersnatd Tex-Mex fairly well.

France? Well, if I want to be insulted by people in French I'll go to Montreal, it's cheaper. Frankly, the only Paris I know that I really need to see is located NNE of the Dallas-Ft Worth area by about 160 miles.

The bottom line is I think the United States is the last, best hope for mankind. I have to concur with the previosu poster...if you don't believe that....then head off to Cuba, North Korea, Sudan, or some other "worker's paradise" and leave us alone.

PS - I am not overweight either (that is a real and fairly recent picture of me) but, like John Kerry, I do own a SUV. Like George Bush, I also have a pickup truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back