Grounding 744s ?

I think they do, if I recall correctly, some of the combi's were used for KLM Asia in the recent past and now are used elsewhere..

KL still uses the combi ORD-AMS.

Years ago AC used the combi YYZ-CDG.

Problem with the combi plane today is the TSA and the known/unknown shipper security program -- main deck cargo from an unknown shipper can't go on the combi.

You want a factory-fresh 777 freighter? Ask AF, they are delaying deliveries.

Why would DL (or any airline) convert a pax 777 today?

Yep. They'd make good replacements for the NWA freighters, except for the nose-loaders. Good reliability, ok range for freight routes, moderate operating costs. That would leave the 744 for long routes instead of using aircraft restricted to Etops routes.

to me, if they needed a replacement for an aircraft dedicated for the cargo division.. simply acquire a freighter, such as a 777 Freighter as a future order option..without modifying the current 777 fleet for the passenger division.

or

convert the 744 fleet to freighters(if possible) after being retired from the passenger division.

Does AS still fly combi 737s around? I heard that they did but someone else told me that the FAA doesn't allow U.S. carriers to fly combi aircraft. Unrelated but, back in the day Swissair also flew 747-300 combi ac between JFK and ZRH.

With ..DICK...Anderson knowing FULL WELL of the value of NW's cargo operation/ANC, while DA was running the show at NW, I'm hoping for the workers up there/ANC, that he will keep things status quo.

What's your take Kev 3188, on my query ???

My take is that the freighter operation is-and can still be- a viable asset to the combined operation.

As for A/C:

The -200's will need to be replaced. Pre-merger, there was talk of replacing the 747-400 passenger planes with 787's on a one for one basis, and in turn converting those to freighters (also one for one). They had also discussed A330 freighters as an option. Either option allows them to eliminate a sub fleet from the mix.

As for the network:

I think with all of the new feed we have gained from the DL network, that resuming JFK would be a smart move. I also think that the recent addition of ATL to the network is a great move, though I have no idea how that route is doing (it just started).

Some routes may need to be retimed. There may also be opportunities that overfly ANC and/or NRT, but I don't have any in mind.

As for ANC itself:

The airport is uniquely positioned, not only geographically, but also as a Foreign trade Zone. To ignore this economic advantage would be a huge mistake, IMO.

I would call on DL management to work aggressively to gain not only new work up there, but also reclaim previous contracts lost. They've told us that both insourcing as well as capturing 3rd party work are priorities for them. ANC is a great place to start.

Just my .02...

what ever seems to make the most sense will more than likely happen (based on what they have in the fleet right now)..

...cargo...eventually an all 744F fleet (more than likely downsizing some areas, building others..with different frequencies while maintaining facilities...it will just look differently)

and a 777 Flagship for the Passenger division and a focus regarding simplification of the fleet..

and!

a refurbished DC9 flying well into 2030! WOOT WOOT! :up:

(kidding!!)

well...um... on second thought..maybe not!..the DC9 love affair doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.. it appears everlasting..like a good old shoe!)

Latest posts