700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
LABORNEWS

INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF MACHINISTSAND AEROSPACE WORKERS

Media Advisory Media Advisory Media Advisory Media Advisory

IAM Members to Picket US Airways

Washington, D.C., March 4, 2004 – US Airways employees represented by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) will conduct informational picketing to protest US Airways’ treatment of its employees and passengers.

What: Informational picketing and handbilling.

Who: IAM-represented US Airways employees

When: March 5, 2004

Where: Boston, MA – Logan International Airport
Terminal B – 5 AM to 9 AM

Pittsburgh, PA – Pittsburgh International Airport
Terminal, Upper Level - 8 AM to 11 AM

Philadelphia, PA - Philadelphia International Airport
Terminal A (West), B, C and Baggage Claim - 6 AM to 9 AM/2 to 4 PM

Charlotte, NC – Charlotte-Douglass International Airport
Terminal, Upper Level – 11:30 AM to 2 PM

Why: US Airways is wasting the $1.2 billion provided by its employees to fight those same employees in court, they are violating labor contracts, subcontracting work, needlessly canceling flights, providing inferior customer service and blaming employees for management’s inability to run the airline.

IAM members and representatives will be available for interviews and photographs.

IAM District 141-M represents 5,000 Mechanic & Related employees at US Airways. IAM District 141 represents the airline’s 4,450 Fleet Service Employees. More information about the Machinists Union can be found on our web site at www.goiam.org.

GOOD LUCK to the members of the IAM. I commend you for standing up for your rights and your solidarity! I hope some good comes from your picketing tomorrow. Hopefully it will at least shed some light on what is going on in this company. Maybe our passengers and the general public will become a little more sympathetic towards us and our fig.

I just hope the CWA takes note and becomes more proactive in promoting OUR dissatisfaction of the treatment of employees and passengers. Maybe if both of our groups stick together, we can stop the abuse by management, no matter what the outcome.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

bobcat said:
no matter what the outcome.
Remember the "no matter what the outcome" part.

The same way that Daves gloom and doom crying started to scare investors like GE capital about their investments in us and made our stock go down nd our rating lowered.

Some things we continue to rant about like safety fo our a/c may have a negative outcome on our passenger loads.

PineyBob
Posted on Mar 4 2004, 07:46 AM

Good luck, but I think you & I both know the jig is up! Those who want to make the move to a new city and stay with US Airways should start fixing the house and get it ready for sale. Those who decide to stay and ride it down, get your finances together and make plans for life after US. A very sad time indeed!

Perhaps in the end a tragedy will occur, resulting in a serious investigation of the lack of FAA oversight of 3rd party facilities and other cost cutting measures that will have caused the public to be less safe. But that's one hell of a price to pay! Sure hope I'm wrong on this but I fear I am not.
PineyBob,

We expect that your scenario is exactly what's going to happen. The question becomes, do we watch the thiefs walk away with the total of our lives work, or do we protest. The answer is that we do whatever is legal to defeat these thiefs.

This hardship and grief has been visited upon us because greed has become god in our society. We as citizens and comsumers have stuck our head in the sand and declared "I don't care what happens, as long as it doesn't happen to me". Well it's happening to us.

Admiral "Bull" Halsey once said that "there are no great men. Only great events that ordinary men must rise up to meet". This is the challenge that the current and past I.A.M. members are chosing to take up. The I.A.M. leadership has drawn a line in the sand, and we the membership are harkening to the call.

We doubt that a victory will restore our current job. We just pray it will preserve our next.

And yes, it is one HELL of a price to pay.

PITMTC said:
bobcat said:

The same way that Daves gloom and doom crying started to scare investors like GE capital about their investments in us and made our stock go down nd our rating lowered.

Some things we continue to rant about like safety fo our a/c may have a negative outcome on our passenger loads.
good point pitmtc...have you noticed bronner is trying his best to salvo what little we have left of a credit rating again?

delldude said:
PITMTC said:
bobcat said:

good point pitmtc...have you noticed bronner is trying his best to salvo what little we have left of a credit rating again?
I most certainly have.

I am pretty sure that Daves crying was aimed at scaring the employees, but turned out to be heard by many other ears.
Now the guy with money to lose is trying to mend things up, (mostly in the financial world, that is) I don't think he cares about the employees.

So the IAM is going to protest on my behalf. How nice <not>!

I think the passengers have their own mechanism to vote - "buying tickets"

PineyBob said:
Good luck, but I think you & I both know the jig is up! Those who want to make the move to a new city and stay with US Airways should start fixing the house and get it ready for sale. Those who decide to stay and ride it down, get your finances together and make plans for life after US. A very sad time indeed!

Perhaps in the end a tragedy will occur, resulting in a serious investigation of the lack of FAA oversight of 3rd party facilities and other cost cutting measures that will have caused the public to be less safe. But that's one hell of a price to pay! Sure hope I'm wrong on this but I fear I am not.
Bob, I too & along with most everyone else is scared that a tragedy will happen because of this work being sent to third part maint. I just pray that nothing happens. However I know if I show up to fly & one of those planes are out there all of a sudden I do not need to go.......

savyinvestor said:
Good luck to the IAM! If you lose the Airbus work its all but over. Savy
It's probably all over already. May as well have some integrity and stand up for what is right. This company is going down the tubes, and the reason why is that UAIR is run by a BOD that knows nothing about airlines, and a CEO that knows nothing about working with people. One thing is certain, there are enough egos at the top for several airlines, but ego doesn't equate to knowing how to run the business. UAIR employees ALREADY make the same or less than folks at other airlines, and the efficiency "excuse" could be corrected by management at any time. In my opinion, UAIR is just swimming in circles waiting to die. These "clowns" (I don't mean to be insulting to fine performers) can't or won't even make positive news sound positive until they make sure that they have milked every last nickel from the labor groups. They are shooting their own credit rating in the foot, then climbing on the backs of labor once again to bail them out.

Personally I do not think the flying public cares about informational picketing. What the public wants is the lowest possible fare at the time they desire to travel.

Furthermore, a couple of hours of picketing may feel good, but it will not do much or shift sentiment.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Personally I do not think the flying public cares about informational picketing.

Furthermore, a couple of hours of picketing may feel good, but it will not do much or shift sentiment.
USA320Pilot

From everything I've read from your prospective, you wouldnt think the public cares, nor could you. A large percentage of the population cares very much. Secondly, companies are very consciecious about their corportate images. Imformational picketing is to as much to rally the troops as it is let the public know of their concerns.

On a side note, AAA ALPA never game a rats behind about anyone but themselves. In this dispute, I expect nothing different.

Denver, CO

USA320Pilot said:
Personally I do not think the flying public cares about informational picketing. What the public wants is the lowest possible fare at the time they desire to travel.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
My guess is is you did not care about the IAM when they picketed for their strike in 1992 either.

PineyBob said:
Good luck, but I think you & I both know the jig is up!
piney,

The "jig" is not up, many people seem to think that this decision by the court marks the end for the IAM work.

All the court did was hand down a decision on the railway labor act, major vs minor dispute language.

The language in the C.O.B., and it's intent have not changed.
Arbitration is only a different avenue that management chose to use so that they could violate the C.O.B. at will, and wait for arbitration for final disposition.

During the time management and labor wait for a arbitrator to be assigned, and a decision, the company would be free to do whatever they want.
This would have allowed them to get all 10 aircraft done before a decision was rendered. The I.A.M threw a wrench into the evil plan when they decided to fight for it's membership and the agreement that they voted for.

I still feel confident that the I.A.M. will prevail when this goes to arbitration, but in the end management will have gotten what they wanted for the short term.
And short term is the only thing Dave can handle.

linemech.