Hawaii In-flight Service on HP

Please Etops, it is still America West as long as they have us seperated. When are you going to stop drinking the kool aid. This place is a disaster. How can you keep sticking up for this place.
When is the posted target date now?
If You Mean What Your Name Says...THEN GET THE HELL OUT!!!No One Is Keeping You Here!!

This post only backs up that I made the right dsecision to fly to HNL on UA.

ANd besides, UA only wanted 70,000 mile per First class seat rather than the 140,000 on US.

Many of our Flight Attendants that currently fly our Hawaii routes also worked PHX-HNL back in the early 90s when we flew 747s. Back then America West did it right and the service we offered to Honolulu was nothing short of spectacular. Back then we were given the tools and the product to provide a service to be proud of. The product that the Company provides today is embarassing and bare-bones.
For how long did HP have air service to Hawaii?

I have tried Hawaiian Airlines 3 trips SAN-OGG. The coach service is better the what you would receive on LCC.

You can't beat having people that live in the islands and fly for the home town airline as your operating crew. The boarding video and arrival video cater to the island experience and you just can't wait to get off the airplane and enjoy all the islands have to offer.

I hope Hawaiian and Aloha Airlines are able to send Johnny O's Go Jets straight the the Mojave Desert. I would never fly on that scab operation at any price and hope the good employees of all the airlines that sacrificed in bankruptcy so their airlines survived prevail over this ratjet imposter.

Very well said!!

For how long did HP have air service to Hawaii?

From November 15, 1989 through September 9, 1992 with their own (747) aircraft. From September 10, 1992 through March 31, 1993, wet-leased ATA L-1011 equipment (with ATA crew) was used.

ALOHA!
Just FYI, in regards to your level of service, US flight attndants have stated several suggestions for these Hawaiian destinations.

It would be great to treat these flights like they should be, starting with boarding music with the sounds of the islands...presenting every passenger with a lei, (it doesnt have to be a fresh lei, even a lei made of shells is a nice treat.)

How about a nice mai tai for pre-departure in First class?

Instead of the normal BOB in coach, offer additional choices, afterall, this is at least a 6.5hr flight.

In reality, the beverage service is limited after the first full can service, due to the flight being double provisioned out of PHX. (double provisioned with 2 full beverage/liquor carts and 2 support carts) These carts are to provide a service for the flight out to Hawaii and the return to PHX. The company feels it saves $ by not having to pay for full service out of the Islands. So there are times that we run out of several choices, and or alcohol.
This is the reason why when you request a certain beverage it is not available. We can apologize a hundred times over, but without the proper tools we can only do so much.

Glad to hear that your HP crew were pleasant, they should be as these flights are fun to work and especially knowing you will have a 32hr layover on the island after landing. Some of the crews even wear a Hawaiian theme styled apron that they have purchased on prior trips to provide a bit more ambience for your enjoyment. You may even see a few of us wearing a hawaiian styled lei.

No movies is due to the flight leaving after 10pm, you will find that on any other domestic flight as well. Too many people complained that they wanted to sleep and having the movie play in the cabin keeps them up. So a catch 22, cant please everyone. Guess thats why people bring their own DVD players.

Hope this helps explain why our service is so-so for the islands...hopefully we can improve the level of service for the future.

Again, thanks for the post.

Mahalo!

It is shocking that you can fly on a flight from PHL to DUB and get a full meal w/ drinks, OJ and water every 1 1/2 hours, movies, etc and it is the same flight time as the Hawaii flights. If I were working those flights I would definitely voice my concern of the lack of ammenities on those flights. They should be treated the same as transatlantic flights, even though that service has deteriorated as well. It is not the same as when I left, but my only hope is that it will get better soon.

From November 15, 1989 through September 9, 1992 with their own (747) aircraft. From September 10, 1992 through March 31, 1993, wet-leased ATA L-1011 equipment (with ATA crew) was used.
And for a while a wet lease Northwest DC-10 ran some of the flights.

From September 10, 1992 through March 31, 1993, wet-leased ATA L-1011 equipment (with ATA crew) was used.And for a while a wet lease Northwest DC-10 ran some of the flights.
So this could be HP’s MO for lack of equipment and front line tools to operate

It is shocking that you can fly on a flight from PHL to DUB and get a full meal w/ drinks, OJ and water every 1 1/2 hours, movies, etc and it is the same flight time as the Hawaii flights. If I were working those flights I would definitely voice my concern of the lack of ammenities on those flights. They should be treated the same as transatlantic flights, even though that service has deteriorated as well. It is not the same as when I left, but my only hope is that it will get better soon.

That's the thing, America West flight attendants & management are not USED to more service than they are giving!

they FA's do what they can to make the flight a good one, but man oh man....

If you have flown to HI on other carriers it is no different than their transcon service. HI service is consistent w/ what everyone else does. Some provide more than others- some F/As do more than others. I've nonreved on UAL, DAL,HAL even ATA it all shakes out how you might think.
How does LCC compare to other carriers transatlantic?

When US rolled out the A330 at the begining of the decade, its transatlantic product was one of the best. The idea was that Airways was the smallest, with the weakest hubs, and a relative newcomer to the market as opposed to the other carriers. They had the biggest east coast feed, where 60% of transatlantic travel originates, they just had to draw customers to US. They had a three class service, First, Envoy, and Economy... the IFE was ahead of its time and both the Envoy and Ecomomy service won several awards.

During the Siegel reign it went downhill and was far below the competition. First Class was eliminated, there are now two classes with the sleeper seats still on the A330 but sold as Envoy. Currently? I'd say Ecomomy is pretty much on par with the other US carriers. Envoy (A330) is slightly below the other US carriers, but keep in mind those carriers are also competing in the transpacific markets. US loves to be inconsistant, its three transatlantic fleets (A330, B767, B757) have no commonality at all as far as seats, meals, or IFE. Like everything on US, its hit or miss.

Having flown UAL the most, I'm suprised that LCC does not emulate their service. As much complaining from my brother-in-law who works for them, I think "it still looks like up to me".

Having flown UAL the most, I'm suprised that LCC does not emulate their service. As much complaining from my brother-in-law who works for them, I think "it still looks like up to me".

United and US Airways were very similar in service around the time they were to merge... Wolf left United, came to US and formed them into the missing piece of UAL.

Recent versions of US:
*Wolf- United Jr.
*Siegel- small mainline feeder for armada of regional jet providers
*Lakefield- just dont let it go under
*Parker- America West East, or Tornado Airlines (can empty a trailer park in 30 minutes... sorry I couldnt resist)

Ironically, US Airways has the largest presence in high end business markets but seems to be doing all it can to get rid of high end business travelers and instead seek flip flop crowds that might want an hourly service between New York and Washington, I guess?