HNL service

Busdrvr:

No...it doesn't take more miles. However it isn't as seamless and takes more time as opposed to a direct flight.

AND...America flies direct.

Again...i have no issue with the pilots and I'm sure they negotiated in good faith. My point I highly doubt United just decided to drop the route. The reason is most likely tied to the pilot contract.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/8/2003 3:32:54 PM UnitedChicago wrote:

UA suspended ORD-HNL due to the rest pilot issue on the 7673. Thorny issue!
----------------
[/blockquote]

Actually, we dropped it when the -10 was parked. The company oringinally wanted a 777. The pilots DID compromise.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/8/2003 5:31:27 PM UnitedChicago wrote:

ORD-HNL is an important route for UA FF awards.
----------------
[/blockquote]

By that, do you mean you must use more miles to do the same trip with a stop in SFO or DEN? Hmmmmm. If the company is able to funnel all it's traffic to one location to a few west coast hubs, cost go down. believe me, ALPA seems to be willing to do an awful lot (without compromising safety, to keep us flying as many routes as possible

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/8/2003 6:08:07 PM UnitedChicago wrote:

Busdrvr:

No...it doesn't take more miles. However it isn't as seamless and takes more time as opposed to a direct flight.

AND...America flies direct.

Again...i have no issue with the pilots and I'm sure they negotiated in good faith. My point I highly doubt United just decided to drop the route. The reason is most likely tied to the pilot contract.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Unlike cash, UA FF miles are no good on AA. Cargo doesn't mind changing planes. It boils down to just the paying passengers. Since the yield to HNL is pretty low, I can understand why UA will not resurrect the route with the pilot's demands.

Of course, sleeping in a jump seat wouldn't be a great idea before flying the remaining 4 hours. But come on, surely a pilot can sleep in a domestic First Class seat!