How Greener Is It On The Other Side

madders

Senior
Nov 23, 2003
www.bookutravel.com
I have read on here where a few Usairways employees have found other jobs elsewhere and loving every minute of it..
I have a few questions for you:
Are you making more,less or same?
The new job you got were there many position opened ,were there a lot of applicants are there more work available ?

For me I am going to try to do something for myself ..start my own business

by the way are you in the same industry ??

madders said:
I have read on here where a few Usairways employees have found other jobs elsewhere and loving every minute of it..
I have a few questions for you:
Are you making more,less or same?
The new job you got were there many position opened ,were there a lot of applicants are there more work available ?

For me I am going to try to do something for myself ..start my own business
[post="233938"][/post]​

I'm with a different airline. I used to work for one of the wholly owneds. I took a slight paycut coming here. Sad thing the pay here at my new airline in the long term is much better. Life is better here too. Not too many applicants, and only one position open which I got.

i find this quite the interesting topic.

for no particular reason i was thinking the following:

upon retirement from a company (whether forced or planned) the income simply stops thats it game over. good luck you now survive on income from other sources, investments, pensions?, savings, 401ks, Social Security...ect.

so you spend your life working, working hard, dedicating (loyalty) your life to a company only to have the income stream one day stop.

yet if you build something (a company) (franchise) or what else have you, the income only stops if you decide to turn it off

taking it a step further, you can not pass on your job to you childern, a business however can (even if they decide to sell it) neverless there is something there to pass on.

so in looking for a continual income stream one turns to building something for themselves. i encourage everyone to post something you never no which idea is the one for you.

as for myself i have in years past investigated, franchises (subway/alphagrapics/drycleaning) just to name a few.

:unsure:

Best move I ever made.Left last year after 22 years of midnight shift ,working outside,holidays and every combination of days off you can imagine.Now I'm working days with weekends and holidays off.Starting pay was slightly higher than what I was making and has already gone up 6K.I'm happy with the other benefits as well.Best of all,not only do they reward you for your skills,knowledge, and experience,they appreciate it.There is life after US.

:D The company that I work for now treats their employees with dignity and respect. My salary is a little higher than before the first paycut and I work close to home. If fact, I can come home for lunch every day! There are now two other employees hired since I was and we occasionally have openings although not all employees are compensated at my rate. Still, everyone works hard and works together and we all enjoy ourselves. There really is life after USAirways!

Left about 2 years ago..less money but it stills feels good to be detached from the dark cloud that has loomed over this company for so long. The lesson learned is there is life after USAirways. You find that your keeping your head above water, adjust and move on. I do remain hopelessly optimistic for this company however.

Left the company about 5 months ago now.. Wanted to get out before they asked me to leave.. It's nice to come to work now and not have to hear about the sky falling every day.. Same pay, benefits are a little better, working conditions are much better.. And yes its another Airline. I need to change my ID on here.. It should now be "FormerUmechanic"

Good luck to all of my ex-coworkers in PIT.. The best of the best..

Go Steelers!!!

I left awhile ago. I figured my best case scenario at U would be a life of unacceptable wages. I have a salary that would make USA320Pilot jealous. This figure worked out to be quite a bit more than U was paying. The company is profitable and does hire people as needs arise. I intend to bring on more U employees that I know personally to be worthy. They will make close to six figures.

-There are jobs out there. Good jobs. Not allot of them. Network and be positive and go get them.

-If I was there I would vote 'no' for any cuts. To me it would not be worth it.

Best of luck and best wishes to all U employees.

*****HAPPY NEW YEAR*****

pitguy said:
I left awhile ago. I figured my best case scenario at U would be a life of unacceptable wages. I have a salary that would make USA320Pilot jealous. This figure worked out to be quite a bit more than U was paying. The company is profitable and does hire people as needs arise. I intend to bring on more U employees that I know personally to be worthy. They will make close to six figures.

-There are jobs out there. Good jobs. Not allot of them. Network and be positive and go get them.
-If I was there I would vote 'no' for any cuts. To me it would not be worth it.
Best of luck and best wishes to all U employees.

*****HAPPY NEW YEAR*****
[post="234027"][/post]​

I retired five month ago and never regretted it for one nano second. That was my plan ever since 9/11. Although retired I am too young to be completely retired. I will be starting my second job since U next week which has better benefits with the money on par with U, and very close to home. I also have yet another and third opportunity for a lot more money. I already went thru the hiring process with tests, interviews etc. They are waiting for the first of the year to hire anyone. This job is like pitguy’s, big money, for me anyway, but I don't know if I'll take it because it's a longer drive and I have a wife with health issues and don't want to be far from her. I am financially secure with no debt and I thank U for that fact. Working at U made me very conscience of debt. There are definitely opportunities outside of U. Having U on my resume didn't hurt me one bit either. Good luck to all, I'm sure you will do well without U.

Curt

I left CLT 8 months ago to work biz jets for a fractional provider, and can tell you that we "Airline Mechanics" have been very spoiled by our employers, for a long long time! The " Average " technician I work with is at least twice, and some times they are three times as productive as I was expected to be, in my former work life. I am making alot more money than I would be making, because I havent been " Pay Cut" and can work unlimited overtime, at my convenience, without all the silly Union overtime rules. Get this, my employer actually appreciates me coming in on OT ! The guys I work with are very knowledgable , have skills in most all disciplines as we cant call an electrician when we find broken wire, and are very talented troubleshooters, a skill I didn't develope too well, due to " Maint Control" and/or somebody else telling me what they wanted changed. I can tell you that overall, it has been very rewarding to break off the airline chains, and go free ..."but"..... learning a new part of this business has been extremely demanding as well ! There are lots of jobs available here, and will continue to be as there is pretty high turnover due to both well justified terminations ( no " they cant fire me, I'm in the union" here) and people moving on to other and better opportunities. Nearly everyone here has perfect attendence, we all get raises based on our " Preformance", and the leadership is comprised of the smartest and best technicians , so there is no BS'ing your way thru or out of anything, if you break stuff, waste your time, "screw the pooch" or maybe just feel like taking a couple of sick days in conjunction with your weekend ? , you're sent back to the airlines, where that stuff is just " Normal " ;) .

I took the layoff 3 years ago while I started my own business. I was scared at first, but realized a life long dream. I recently went back after my 3 year leave was up. I'm hoping to get into a severance deal or a buy out. I've been cashing out my swaps 4 days a week. Also using my vacation time. I have no desire to go back fulltime, if I dont get layed off by Feb, I'll throw in the towel.
At this point US is a dot on my distant radar!!

usairmech41 said:
I took the layoff 3 years ago while I started my own business. I was scared at first, but realized a life long dream. I recently went back after my 3 year leave was up. I'm hoping to get into a severance deal or a buy out. I've been cashing out my swaps 4 days a week. Also using my vacation time. I have no desire to go back fulltime, if I dont get layed off by Feb, I'll throw in the towel.
At this point US is a dot on my distant radar!!
[post="234083"][/post]​
Is that you Paul????

If not a good guy I know named Paul did the same thing threes years back.

I say GOOD for you Guys, give em hell!!

Curt

I had 20 years with US. I had enough and moved on. I got a very good job
locally with just a little less pay. Nice thing is I'm doing the same thing I did at Usairways. We even have to work. No screwing around. This took a little getting use to because I got lazy and unproductive because of the daily doom and gloom at US. We even had a Xmas party and our President give us gifts and thanked us. Imagine that! I now get a pension plus a paycheck. I thank Usairways for putting up with me. It didn't take rocket science to fiqure out that Usairways management doesn't want to be in the business of baby sitting employees when it can be done cheaper. Life is to short to take so seriously. We have a web site and take resumes. Probably will be expanding. We are a part 145 repair station. I do miss my Mrs. Fields cookies however. :rolleyes: :p