How to make US better

Carts = West Way

Door Op's = West Way
JMM, what's better about the WEST carts? We have not had any of the EAST carts to make that comparison. We have been getting the light blue nylon drawers, and those are far better than ours that warped in the SkyChef dishwasher.

Door ops, come on, we all hate the monitor challange prodedure.

I should have used the word "people" instead of "you" as my post was not directed at you, but after re-reading it the "you" and "your" do make it sound personal toward you and I apologize.

Needing/wanting something and being foced to do something are different things entirly. People are free to choose to commute or not. They may feel like they do not have a choice, but they do. Commuters have my full sympathy when they have to arrive hours early or encounter problems with their commute. It is not an easy lifestyle, but they each have their reasons for doing so.

As for me, I have made my choice not to commute it is not a lifestyle I enjoy. I either live in base or I walk away from this job.

Anyway, the point of my orginal post was simply that people commute by choice and do not deserve a higher priority in boarding as the orginal poster stated.

Again, I apologize for using "you" and "your" instead of "people" and I should have replied to the orginal poster and not your post.

:)
Zarah,

Once again, I have to disagree. You say people have a "choice" to commute. What is their choice? In some cases, finding a job with comparable benefits where you live is not as easy as you may think. You and I may be healthy. We may be junior. We may be single. We may be without children....

Just think, for a moment, what it would be like, if you were a single mother, with 3 children, and you have had this job, based in, say Greensboro (a former crew base), for 21 years. All of a sudden, they close the base. You have children to think of, you are towards the top of the scale, and this is the job you had out of college, or high school.... Tell me what is their "choice?" To quit? Where exactly, in my hometown, can I find the benefits and the rate of pay that I am currently making? Remember, I have children, a house, a car.... Sure, it may be possible for you or me, but not for everyone.

I won't post any more about this, I feel I have said enough. Just remember, every single situation is different. The bottom line is, people commute for different reasons, good or bad, and while I am not advocating any special "non rev" priorities for them , I think it's fair to understand why they do it.

"Choose" is not the best word....

Could we just start ANOTHER FCFS/DOH threat PLEASE? It is so old now. You and I have NOOOOO choice in the matter. What will be will be and we shall still live and breathe. As for express service, when you are on the airbus or 757 the cart is MUCH easier. If I get someone that doesn't want to do it fine. Don't come back to me and say you need 3 cokes 1 sprite and 2 waters....over and over. Save the running. Oh wait, I do think some could use the walk.....to say the least. :lol:

Just think, for a moment, what it would be like, if you were a single mother, with 3 children, and you have had this job, based in, say Greensboro (a former crew base), for 21 years. All of a sudden, they close the base. You have children to think of, you are towards the top of the scale, and this is the job you had out of college, or high school.... Tell me what is their "choice?" To quit? Where exactly, in my hometown, can I find the benefits and the rate of pay that I am currently making? Remember, I have children, a house, a car.... Sure, it may be possible for you or me, but not for everyone.

What do you do? In the situation you describe I guess it's move to the city the job has moved to. Before you say yeah but the kids or yeah but this or that think for a minute. What if you were in the situation described above, but not in this industry? What if say you were an auto worker? No comparrison you're thinking? Sure, go ask a Ford employee at the St. Paul, MN truck plant. Like has bee said before the choice to commute is just that a CHOICE.

It's just a really crappy position to be in. NOBODY wants to commute. To be honest here...MANY and I do mean MANY commute from places that were NEVER crew bases. A large majority. We only bring up the west coast commuters here due to the nature of the conversation between east and west. We have hundred and hundreds of commuters from florida, new york and the midwest. I was displaced in 2003 and all I thought when I got my "welcome to PHL" packet in the mail was the voice years back saying the chance was always possible to relocate. Also how I crossed my fingers in training and was the 2nd from the bottom to be in PIT and not have to relocate anywhere else until the next few classes graduated. It is a choice. While being sympathetic to employees with small children, spouse who can't relocate, sick or elderly parents there is a choice to be made. Do you LOVE this job enough to stay and do you do what it takes to keep you in the job or find new? I know it's easier said than done to leave and am NOT giving advice on how to make it work if you do. Bottom line as a former commuter is there is a CHOICE to be made. I feel for all as the suitcase sucks to live out of. I have been there and always found it unreal that some would leave their children and families for this BS.

It's just a really crappy position to be in. NOBODY wants to commute. To be honest here...MANY and I do mean MANY commute from places that were NEVER crew bases. A large majority. We only bring up the west coast commuters here due to the nature of the conversation between east and west. We have hundred and hundreds of commuters from florida, new york and the midwest. I was displaced in 2003 and all I thought when I got my "welcome to PHL" packet in the mail was the voice years back saying the chance was always possible to relocate. Also how I crossed my fingers in training and was the 2nd from the bottom to be in PIT and not have to relocate anywhere else until the next few classes graduated. It is a choice. While being sympathetic to employees with small children, spouse who can't relocate, sick or elderly parents there is a choice to be made. Do you LOVE this job enough to stay and do you do what it takes to keep you in the job or find new? I know it's easier said than done to leave and am NOT giving advice on how to make it work if you do. Bottom line as a former commuter is there is a CHOICE to be made. I feel for all as the suitcase sucks to live out of. I have been there and always found it unreal that some would leave their children and families for this BS.
Some will chase a line, you just wait and see now with this 24/7 ruling. Reserve in PIT in at 1983. There will be very limited ETB time awarded to reserves, particular in bases where trips do not have 24 hr layovers. If they open up PHL or CLT for transfers, move over because they will be coming.

I am not one to chase a line, however, I am now commuting because I was kicked out of PIT. I cannot move, my husbands job is here. Believe it or not, there are still some of us that love this job. I also am enjoying my seniority in PHL. I would gladly welcome FCFS because it will only make my seniority better in PHL when all those senior people transfer to PHX because they cannot get to/from work. I keep telling all the jr folks in PHL, let them do FCFS you'll be off reserve soon.

Also, keep the Express Beverage Service (in coach) the East way, no heavy carts out in the aisle on the short flights, just a 9-hole tray with (before 9am) OJ, H2O, Coffee (after 9am) Coke, Sprite, Diet Coke and H20. Additional requests honored as time permits.
No way that limited service is cheap and tacky. If Air Tran can do a full bev from Clt-Atl then we should do better. That is just lazy and we need to better are service. We are bottom of the barrell in everything else at least we can do is serve them a drink of choice.

No way that limited service is cheap and tacky. If Air Tran can do a full bev from Clt-Atl then we should do better. That is just lazy and we need to better are service. We are bottom of the barrell in everything else at least we can do is serve them a drink of choice.

I say take out the bev cart and serve until out of ten. Then put that sucker up and clean up. Let's see how many customers will biitch and moan about not getting SOMETHING as opposed to NOTHING. We've been there and have done that. I flew SWA ISP-BWI...longer flt in the am and just got juice, coffee, or water...they don't have carts. I am SOOOO sure the customer knows or gives a crap at what you throw them on a 30-35 minute flight. Lazy? Give me a break. :down:

LIFE in many ways is nothing but a series of choices. So YES you as an employee have a choice to commute or not commute.

Just as I have a choice I made when I took a job that involved extensive air travel.

Just as I had a choice when I decided to divorce "War Bunny"

Are the choices available equally good? Of course not. But ultimately YOU are the one in control.
PB --

As I was reading this thread I was thinking the same words "Life is choices!" Everyday! Some are easy, some are hard, and some are difficult.

Funny, isn't the difference between animal behavior and human behavior the very fact that we have "choice"?

Basically, when I hear an F/A say they don't have a "choice" that they HAVE to commute (no one "has to" do anything -- they CHOOSE to commute!), I hear them saying "I don't want to give up XXXX". I think the poster that continues to defend commuting as not having a choice needs to realize that it is a choice and a benefit that very, very, very, very few other professions offer. When a regular worker is offered a job in another city (and I'm talking 300+ miles away) -- because his office is closing or to take a promotion -- do you think that worker can commute to the new job? I think not. Yes, the F/A job is unique in it's flexibility; however, choosing to commute is an option and you should not get boarding priority over "regular" non-revs because of a life-style/job choice that you have made.

WE HAVE ALL MADE SACRIFICES IN THIS INDUSTRY, except for executive management and it looks like that isn't going to change anytime soon. Let's try to respect each other because believe it not, we need each other -- the airplane can't fly with just one working group. We have all CHOSEN to be employed and continue to be employed in this industry -- do not ASSUME your pain is any worse than anyone else's and that because of choices you've made that you get priority over someone else. We've all made choices that are difficult and that we have to live with based on our personal priorities. Everyone comes with "baggage" (spouse, parents, kids, school, house, etc, etc, etc) and we all make CHOICES in how we deal with it. No ones CHOICES gives them a priority over anyone when it comes to non-revving. Period.

(stepping down from soap box now...)

PB --

As I was reading this thread I was thinking the same words "Life is choices!" Everyday! Some are easy, some are hard, and some are difficult.

Funny, isn't the difference between animal behavior and human behavior the very fact that we have "choice"?

Basically, when I hear an F/A say they don't have a "choice" that they HAVE to commute (no one "has to" do anything -- they CHOOSE to commute!), I hear them saying "I don't want to give up XXXX". I think the poster that continues to defend commuting as not having a choice needs to realize that it is a choice and a benefit that very, very, very, very few other professions offer. When a regular worker is offered a job in another city (and I'm talking 300+ miles away) -- because his office is closing or to take a promotion -- do you think that worker can commute to the new job? I think not. Yes, the F/A job is unique in it's flexibility; however, choosing to commute is an option and you should not get boarding priority over "regular" non-revs because of a life-style/job choice that you have made.

WE HAVE ALL MADE SACRIFICES IN THIS INDUSTRY, except for executive management and it looks like that isn't going to change anytime soon. Let's try to respect each other because believe it not, we need each other -- the airplane can't fly with just one working group. We have all CHOSEN to be employed and continue to be employed in this industry -- do not ASSUME your pain is any worse than anyone else's and that because of choices you've made that you get priority over someone else. We've all made choices that are difficult and that we have to live with based on our personal priorities. Everyone comes with "baggage" (spouse, parents, kids, school, house, etc, etc, etc) and we all make CHOICES in how we deal with it. No ones CHOICES gives them a priority over anyone when it comes to non-revving. Period.

(stepping down from soap box now...)
OKay, so with 17+ yrs seniority that has been displaced from PIT,our home for all of our lives, should just quit? So that the seniority of everyone else can rise? The company does not give you a bonus for displacing you to another city,state. You are right, that is the beauty of this job, you are able to commute to work in order to stay employed. I do not think its fair to expect those that have been displaced to quit their jobs. Many of use cannot do without the income, nor can we move. I am happy for those that are in a position to pack up and move for this company. Sad to say, most are not. For those of us that are commuting because our base was closed or we were kicked out of our base, thats not our choice, I would of gladly stayed in my base and not commute but I was told by the company I had to go. God forbid someone have some sympathy for people who have been displaced. I hope it never happens to you. (not necessarily directed at you Breath)

Now I will step off my soapbox.

OKay, so with 17+ yrs seniority that has been displaced from PIT,our home for all of our lives, should just quit? So that the seniority of everyone else can rise? The company does not give you a bonus for displacing you to another city,state. You are right, that is the beauty of this job, you are able to commute to work in order to stay employed. I do not think its fair to expect those that have been displaced to quit their jobs. Many of use cannot do without the income, nor can we move. I am happy for those that are in a position to pack up and move for this company. Sad to say, most are not. For those of us that are commuting because our base was closed or we were kicked out of our base, thats not our choice, I would of gladly stayed in my base and not commute but I was told by the company I had to go. God forbid someone have some sympathy for people who have been displaced. I hope it never happens to you. (not necessarily directed at you Breath)

Now I will step off my soapbox.

I don't think it's a matter of not having sympathy. It appears that most here are simply pointing out that no other industry even GIVES you the option of commuting. Airline employees should be THANKFUL to be able to commute.

If ANY company displaces you, that person DOES have a choice...move or quit..but you DO have a choice.

This will sound cold and it is totally my opinion, but I just don't think the f/a job is good for having children and it is very selfish to both the children AND fellow employees. :unsure:

I don't think it's a matter of not having sympathy. It appears that most here are simply pointing out that no other industry even GIVES you the option of commuting. Airline employees should be THANKFUL to be able to commute.

If ANY company displaces you, that person DOES have a choice...move or quit..but you DO have a choice.

This will sound cold and it is totally my opinion, but I just don't think the f/a job is good for having children and it is very selfish to both the children AND fellow employees. :unsure:
I respect your opinion, however I couldnt disagree with you more. I have been married for 19 yrs been doing this job 18 yrs, have 2 beautiful children ages 15/13 who have been around the world and back again. They have a wonderful father who take incredible care of them while I am flying. I have missed very few precious moments in their lives, my children and husband understand the devotion that I have to them and to my job. I do not understand why you think this job is selfish to children. When they were very small, I worked 75 hours a month. They were with a sitter a day and a half a week. That adds up too 6 days a month. Most kids are in day care or some sort of child care 5 days a week. Nothing selfish about that.

It's in the best interest of the company to get commuters to work. A displaced person who does not take the paid move has saved the company money. I would think they would make a higher boarding priority for commuters right off the bat. Non-rev travel is not a right.