How can we make this a better airline?

Fly4Free

Veteran
May 31, 2006
Wherever.
Visit site
Besides Management stepping in and reversing changes / making new changes / stuff out of our control.. but what is in our control?

Customer contact.. treat customers kindly? Will that go far? I've had calls where they almost expect you to be nasty to them and then are astonished at how well they are treated. I hope eveyone is nice to our customers on the phones and in person.

FAs? Well, I don't have any specialization in this area, nor would I ever be a FA. (Not that I don't want to be or anything, I'm just not into flying a whole lot.) I know when I've flown, FAs have been very friendly regardless of anything that may be going on such as worrying about 150 passengers or safety etc. I know there have been isues here created, like pushing products, that are out of FA's hands.. and it's up to management.

LOWCOST. It's synonomous with dirty, old, tired imo. I go to a low cost hotel, what do I expect? Well.. I get what I pay for. Why not be an airline that isn't "high end" (??? What would be a high end airline??) or "low cost cow herders" (no explanation needed there.) Why not make OUR OWN identity. Why can't we go out on a limb and reshape the industry? Why do we have to follow and not lead? We're following.. and we're following farther and farther behind.

It's just things I contemplate while sitting here not taking any calls. Instead of everyone talking about how bad it is, why don't we come up with ideas we could send to corporate in a respectful and meaningful way? We all have ideas, so please.. share what you want and then we could send it to corporate. MAYBE just MAYBE they'll open it and some suggestions might be considered, who knows? It couldn't hurt to try could it? Spill your ideas please!

Settle all Collective Bargaining Agreements and have a happy workforce.

I think "Happier" would be a better word. Some who work for US will NEVER be happy. It's not in their DNA.

Otherwise I think you're dead on in your assessment.

You got that right PineyBob, there are many that are not happy...its time for them to close this chapter in their career and enjoy life outside of the industry. I mean after 40yrs they cant continue to push a cart up the aisle and be happy to their passengers?? Its time to give up your senority number to a less junior person and move on.

You got that right PineyBob, there are many that are not happy...its time for them to close this chapter in their career and enjoy life outside of the industry. I mean after 40yrs they cant continue to push a cart up the aisle and be happy to their passengers?? Its time to give up your senority number to a less junior person and move on.
That is such a rude thing to say. I am in my 9th here at east and let me tell you, I have worked with some of the best people in my life that are senior. These gals and I say gals cause they ARE the majority of the senior folks worked hard and deserve to stay if they want to. Because this is a seniority driven business (which it should be) does not mean that you need to retire after a certain number of years. Maybe some stay because it is truly in their blood. This is their life, their passion. They love to travel the world and work with their friends who over the years have become family. Maybe your shouldn't be so ignorant against a more senior flight attentand because you are more junior. You'll get there someday. Hopefully, with being as rude as you seem. Telling senior flight attendants to quit, complaining passengers to get over it....your a trip and I don't mean a 2day. All I can say is WOW. Come to PHL....they'd LOVE you.

Still unhappy non-revving will be DOH?

...the majority of the senior folks worked hard and deserve to stay if they want to. Because this is a seniority driven business (which it should be) does not mean that you need to retire after a certain number of years. Maybe some stay because it is truly in their blood. This is their life, their passion. They love to travel the world and work with their friends who over the years have become family....

Some really don't have a choice and have to stay. When the senior people started flying, it really wasn't considered a career. Unfortunately, they were not given comparable retirement benefits. Plus, 401K didn't start for us until the 80's (I'm not sure the exact date). Some has lost or frozen pensions. At any rate, many would love to be able to retire-but simply can't at this time.

The seniority of a worker shouldn't matter, but their attitude about staying and working is what will make or break them. If you can't stand people (and there are many in customer service that can't) then it's time to get out and do something else. There is nothing worse than someond who has "quit, but not left".

. . . The seniority of a worker shouldn't matter, but their attitude about staying and working is what will make or break them. If you can't stand people (and there are many in customer service that can't) then it's time to get out and do something else. There is nothing worse than someond who has "quit, but not left" . . .

Agree.

US Airways, the aviation industry as a whole, and almost any job in the world is not ever going to be a grand-slam-HR-bowl-of-cherries experience :shock: . So it comes down to how we face the challenge and what we decide to give or withhold of ourselves which counts. We can only control our own actions/decisions and not the world around us.

Regarding US, I think that the frontline folks try to put on a good face and I would hope that the rest of the lot will attempt to show up and do the job right. A collective bargaining agreement does not happiness buy, nor should any customer be held hostage to a labor grudge. In the labor relations game, the glass will always be half empty and some folks will want to smash the glass no matter how full it is -- this is pure and simple human nature.

Likewise arguments about conditionalities are meaningless -- complaints about what should be or what once was . The job is here and now. Get on with it and do the best you can at the moment -- even with poor, great or indifferent management.

Damn, I sound like my parents did 40 years ago! :unsure:

I'm certainly sympathetic to the tulmultuous plight of folks in the aviation industry. You've taken some big hits regarding pay, and more important benefits such as healthcare and pensions. But we're also getting whacked in the healthcare industry where I earn my keep for 30 plus years. So the complaints and issues are the same except some folks are holding bedpans and others a serving tray or a suitcase.

My own approach is to worry about what I can personally control or effect, and to let the rest of the water flow under the bridge. What you bring to the job and the folks you interact with is what counts. I'm no different than a gate agent or an FA -- I've got my ups and downs but I keep it movin'. However, as a nurse anesthetist, I do at least get the last word with a grumpy or recalcitrant patient who comes with an attitude. I simply push drugs until they stop bothering me.

Merry Christmas to all of you good US Air folks.

Barry

The seniority of a worker shouldn't matter, but their attitude about staying and working is what will make or break them. If you can't stand people (and there are many in customer service that can't) then it's time to get out and do something else. There is nothing worse than someond who has "quit, but not left".
:up: AGREE COMPLETELY! That nonsense of "I can't afford to quit" is bullsh*t!" Or is that individual really saying "I am INCAPABLE of finding another job"? There are many people in their current jobs that are quite unhappy and basically unproductive EVERY time they report to work...I find these same people pretty much INSIGNIFICANT in the Grand Scheme of things , usually pretty useless in anything they undertake in life. Like the old saying goes, "Don't let the door Hit You on the Way OUT"....what in the hell are they waiting for?

Customer contact.. treat customers kindly? Will that go far? I've had calls where they almost expect you to be nasty to them and then are astonished at how well they are treated. I hope eveyone is nice to our customers on the phones and in person.
Let's start, too, by treating each other -- fellow employees -- like treasured friends, not enemies!

If you're really brave, try "paying it forward" even, and doing something nice for a fellow, low-paid, hard-working employee. You'll feel good about yourself and "good goes 'round." It's amazing how far a little bit of kindness, a little bit extra civility, goes...and everybody wins -- especially customers.

Let's start, too, by treating each other -- fellow employees -- like treasured friends, not enemies!

If you're really brave, try "paying it forward" even, and doing something nice for a fellow, low-paid, hard-working employee. You'll feel good about yourself and "good goes 'round." It's amazing how far a little bit of kindness, a little bit extra civility, goes...and everybody wins -- especially customers.
I couldn't agree more!

Breath & NYC Delta:

I agree. We can disagree and that is healthy, but let's treat each other as a valued friend. We are the company and we need to pitch in, help one another, and be respectful.

It costs nothing to smile or help out and its a great way to live!

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Breath & NYC Delta:

I agree. We can disagree and that is healthy, but let's treat each other as a valued friend. We are the company and we need to pitch in, help one another, and be respectful.

It costs nothing to smile or help out and its a great way to live!

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Respect is a two-way street. You may not depend on the psuedo-respect of captaincy with which you were annointed.

When deliberately posting lies, your opinions couched as someone elses as well as just kyping someone elses work and passing it off as your own, you disrespect everyone here.

We can best help the company by forcing them to do their jobs and not let them wander off on some wild goose chase, MetroJet, business select, etc. come to mind. Concessions without management changes is like giving another beer to the drunk who just drove you off a cliff. He may not feel the impact but it does nothing to change your fundamental direction, down.

Near as I can tell, our mission is to transport, via aircraft, cargo, be it animal or box, from A to B. We do not do that very well. We might wish to focus on fundamentals.

Employees can help by guiding management in the correct direction, by not taking on managements responsibilities without the appropriate authority. ex. cockpit responsibility for baggage without the appropriate authority over the gate agent to hold the entry door open, in order to accomplish the above.

I am not alone in thinking there should always be a healthy separation between labor and management, if for no other reason than disparate viewpoints will find solutions much better than if everyone is in lock-step. The unitary executive thing, historically, has never worked for the corporation, only individuals.

You seem to want to do not only your flying job but managements job as well, a fallacy for which well-informed employee-owned company know enough to put into place a separate management group. Perhaps you should quit one to focus on the other.

Latest posts

Back