Hub In Indy?

AM49AAA

Aug 20, 2002
Could mini-hub land in Indy?
Source: Indianapolis Business Journal
Publication date: 2003-08-04
Arrival time: 2003-08-18

Talk of US Airways Group Inc.'s expanding at Indianapolis International Airport might be just a ploy by the airline to gain leverage with officials in Pittsburgh, where it is negotiating a new lease on its hub facility.
But sources close to the company said the Arlington, Va.based airline, which emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy this spring, has taken a close look at Indianapolis as a site for a minihub offering more flights here using primarily small and midsize regional jets.

US Airways officials declined to comment on the matter and sources at BAA Indianapolis, the firm that manages the local airport, said they have not heard of any impending expansion.

"They certainly have a strong presence here and operated somewhat of a mini-hub here in the early 1990s, but we haven't heard anything recently," said Dennis Rosebrough, BAA Indianapolis public affairs director.

US Airways accounts for about 10 percent of the flights coming and going from Indianapolis International Airport, giving it the second-largest presence behind Indianapolis-based ATA Holdings Corp. Besides Pittsburgh, US Airways has hubs in Philadelphia and Charlotte, N.C., with major operations in Boston, New York and at Reagan National Airport in Washington, D.C.

"This talk of expansion in Indianapolis, I think, is US Airways trying to put pressure on Pittsburgh," said Joe Brancatelli, airline industry analyst and publisher of Joesentme.com, a Web site dedicated to business travel information. "The success of mini-hubs has always been questionable and US Airways doesn't appear to be in an expansion mode."

But others point out that US Airways has taken delivery recently on several 50- and 75-seat regional jets and that a Midwest hub in Indianapolis could be more cost-effective than one in Chicago, St. Louis or Cincinnati.

US Airways also reportedly has considered moving its maintenance hub into the vacated United Airlines maintenance facility in Indianapolis, which would make the mini-hub a nice fit here.

Mini-bubs surfaced in the mid- to late-1980s, with mixed results. They are often served by a combination of aircraft, but predominantly smaller planes that feed popular routes and fly to regional markets too small for jumbo jets. The emergence of small jets replacing slower, less-fuel-efficient turboprop planes has given the mini-hub idea new life.

If US Airways opened a mini-hub here, it would likely require several more gates and could offer 25 percent to 50 percent more flights.

"US Airways could be putting up a trial balloon here," said Morten Beyer, president of Morten Beyer & Agnew Inc., an aviation consultancy in McLean, Va. "US Airways is an important airline to Indianapolis already, so I suppose they could consider expansion there."

But the strong presence of ATA, Dallas-based Southwest Airlines Inc. and other low-cost carriers in Indianapolis, Beyer said, means a US Airways expansion could be difficult.

"They'd have to be competitive on pricing," he said. "There's a significant presence in Indianapolis demonstrating the will to treat airline tickets like a commodity and compete almost solely on price."

US Airways has come a long way in righting its financial ship since it filed Chapter 11 in August 2002. After controlling expenses and increasing ridership, the company reported July 28 that it turned a $13 million profit in its second quarter, compared with a $248 million loss the same quarter a year ago. And its emergence from Chapter 11 also makes it eligible for low-interest government loans.

The airline is scheduled to continue taking delivery on regional jets through 2005. It hopes the smaller aircraft will help it serve more markets while cutting costs. Hiring pilots for those planes - often done through contracts with nonunion regional airlines - also costs less than hiring pilots for larger planes.

This practice has met the resistance of US Airways pilots' union, but the company is determined.

"The [regional jets] will enable us to increase hub feed by adding new markets that were too distant for turboprop aircraft and replace current turboprop flying," said IMS Airways President and CEO David Siegel during a recent teleconference.

Indianapolis' central location, Beyer said, could make it ideal for a mini-hub. But Brancatelli isn't convinced a hub is the best thing for the Circle City.

"As one airline hubs in a city, others pull out," he said. "You have less competition and prices go through the roof. Look at Detroit with Northwest or Denver with United. Airline prices are far greater there. Indianapolis can play one airline against the other."

"The business community loves to tout the hub-city status because you can get more direct, nonstop flights," he added. "But the cost is too great. Indianapolis would be better off with service from airlines like ATA, Southwest and Jet Blue. The hub system works for airlines with a ferocious cost to everyone else."

The reporter needs to check facts before reporting, case in point.....But others point out that US Airways has taken delivery recently on several 50- and 75-seat regional jets and that a Midwest hub in Indianapolis could be more cost-effective than one in Chicago, St. Louis or Cincinnati. When did we take delivery of 50 & 75 seat RJS?

I'm in Indy and "furloughed", so while I think that would be wonderfull it doesn't seem to be something thats going to happen. There have been rumors in the papers and local magazines for several months about that. However, on Friday the final drawings and specs for our new airport were revealed and there was no mention of this issue. I would think if US were serious about it, they would have wanted some input on the new airport, especially since construction has already begun. ..... we can all dream

It would be nice if we were planning on some sort of expansion in the event things dont work out with PIT. Without Pittsburgh, two nearly coastal hubs and three down-the street focus cities dont amount to much.
After a quick spin through the OAG, it looks like there are about 30 cities served from PIT that arent served from PHL or CLT. All are Express, the majority being B19 routes, the Ogdensburgs and Parkersbugs of the world. The small PA city service could go to PHL while the WV cities could go to CLT, and all current air service could be maintained. PHL is near breaking point already, hopefully service would just be upgraded (eg replace a route once served from PHL/PIT with an ERJ with one EMB170 to PHL), rather than dumping more planes into that busy airspace.
Having a Midwest hub would be beneficial to Airways in that many cities we fly to PIT from could be replaced with service to the new hub. With a more westerly location, we could also expand throughout the midwest and grow the network. Most of our cities would have an option for southern service (CLT) northeast (PHL) and central midwest (XXX). The EMB family of aircraft are well-suited to serve east coast cities from the center of the country. Mainline flights to key US cities and the West Coast would benefit from better O&D traffic, and more cities out west could gain service. Most importantly, the airline could retain its current size and "spread its wings" into being more than the airline with six hubs on the same street.
I'm certainly not advocating a PIT closure or anything happening to another carrier, but US's current route structure needs to grow if it wants to be a stand-alone carrier (well, at least we employees want it to be...). Unfortunatly, low cost carriers are everywhere these days ("theyll never come to the east coast") but they dont serve Latrobe and they dont serve London. There seem to be opportunites in Indianapolis and to a degree in St. Louis with American cutting thier ops in half. Any other ideas or opinions?

It will never happen. US Airways is shrinking not growing. It doesnt appear the leaders of US are looking ahead into the future for possible lage growth. They are far too busy shrinking the airline and putting massive hurt on the employees.

I highly doubt US will invest time and money into IND. I don't think they will be setting up any hub, or minihub for that matter in the near future. I've heard ramblings about IND and STL but I really think nothing will come of it. Now is not the right time to expand. Maybe when they start turning a consistent profit, then it maybe time to expand and look at options out west. But now, if I were US I wouldnt start anything that you dont know what you are gonna get back out of it. STL and especially IND are not great gains for anyone. STL you have WN and a limited AA presence, and IND the O & D isn't good, along with WN and TZ, IND really isnt the place too look if you ask me. I wish we were back in 1991 when US would have killed for St Louis.

TheWatcher said:
It will never happen. US Airways is shrinking not growing. It doesnt appear the leaders of US are looking ahead into the future for possible lage growth. They are far too busy shrinking the airline and putting massive hurt on the employees.
That's a "brilliant" message post

This really wouldn't be an expansion, per se. At least not at first. Wouldn't this be relocating existing PIT operations to PHL, CLT and IND in a pattern that made since? The growth would probably come in later as RJ's are intergrated into network. IND and RJ's would probably allow for greater coverage of Midwest. IND would provide more East-West connecting opportunites but I would imagine for the next year or so it would just be a relocation of existing PIT mainline flights.

Forget about INDY!

Nashville (BNA) is extremely centrally located for just about anywhere east of the Mississippi River. BNA would make a great RJ hub! One possible problem is that Southwest has just about ran everyone out of BNA! But BNA has a lot of room and lot of potential. Big airport, Lite air traffic, and all the bells and whistles that a modern BIG airport has today!!! Just take a look U management. BNA is 500nm or less from 95% of all major cities in the east!

I think with our fleet and current geographical strength the natural progression would be less south and more Midwest. STL would have been the best option. If anything were to happen to our codeshare partner you'd better believe AA would pull every resource back out of there, to go back upstate to ORD.

Latest posts