Hub In Indy?

Here's a marketing scheme I wish I could take credit for, but it was successfully implemented almost 20 years ago.

Utilize an underserved airport as a hub. The location needs to be in an area with high metropolitan populations, and a strong business base.

Advertise to these second tier cities, we can take you to the financial, industrial and international destinations, while bypassing huge and slow hubs like ATL, ORD, or DFW. We can get you from TOL to LAX or LGW quicker, and at the same price as the big boys, and we serve places large AND small the WN's of the world will not serve.

Think it can't happen? Go look at the advertisements at jetpiedmont.com, and keep in mind PI pulled off the DAY hub miracle in the midst of a nasty recession, and when the Rust Belt was flat on it's back.

:shock: Nevermind - that would require leadership <_<

diogenes said:
Here's a marketing scheme I wish I could take credit for, but it was successfully implemented almost 20 years ago.

Utilize an underserved airport as a hub. The location needs to be in an area with high metropolitan populations, and a strong business base.

Advertise to these second tier cities, we can take you to the financial, industrial and international destinations, while bypassing huge and slow hubs like ATL, ORD, or DFW. We can get you from TOL to LAX or LGW quicker, and at the same price as the big boys, and we serve places large AND small the WN's of the world will not serve.

Think it can't happen? Go look at the advertisements at jetpiedmont.com, and keep in mind PI pulled off the DAY hub miracle in the midst of a nasty recession, and when the Rust Belt was flat on it's back.

:shock: Nevermind - that would require leadership <_<
That's exactly right Diogenes. Piedmont had one thing that U is lacking right now and that is a GROUP of LEADERS with a VISION. Mr. Davis, Mr. Howard, Gordon Bethune, and I'm sure there are many others that I'm leaving off but the fact remains there is NO ONE in the stable at this airline that could shine any of the above mentioned shoes.
The VP's in the stable now are too busy keeping those that could truly fix this airline under their thumb and telling them how stupid they are. The talent to fix this airline is within it's ranks right now but when you have upper management constantly keeping them under wraps there is no place for them to go except to other companies. These VP's keep themselves looking good by hiding the true talent in this company and taking credit for their ideas. I know for a fact it's happening in Customer Service under Al Crellin and I'm sure there are many others in the ranks that are doing the same. God save US Airways....they're going to need divine intervention if this group stays at the helm much longer. <_<

If US wants a hub bad enough, they should consider OKC. A little over 1 mil people in the city/metro with another mil within an hour to 2 hour drive (thanks to 75mph speed limits on the turnpikes). Southwest has really shown no interest in expanding (they are actually going to be cutting down to 1 flight to STL from 2 now, even with AA dropping 5 daily MD-80s). The have recently opened the new west concourse featuring 11 gates with another 14 gates to be opened in the new east concourse - there will be plenty of room (the original terminal had 17 total).

Also US Airways would easily be able to establish a relationship with Great Plains (although it sounds like they found a new dancing partner) and OKC is home to the AAR paint shop and mx facility - not meant to start a debate.

Just an idea...it is in the middle of the country, so the location is great. It has plenty of room to expand. Not to mention...the state of Oklahoma offers very attractive tax breaks to airlines that offer nonstop service to either coasts.