Some Layovers Being Affected As A Result

MarkMyWords said:
I agree Jim....

And you've seen some of that already. Not mailing receipts is an example of lowering distrobution charges. I think everything is under the microscope. I would rather it be hotels (not just crews either...all the ccy types too.) and receipts then my wallet.
[post="303880"][/post]​

maybe that's because you are NOT a crew member.

MarkMyWords said:
I agree Jim....

And you've seen some of that already. Not mailing receipts is an example of lowering distrobution charges. I think everything is under the microscope. I would rather it be hotels (not just crews either...all the ccy types too.) and receipts then my wallet.
[post="303880"][/post]​
US1YFARE said:
maybe that's because you are NOT a crew member.
[post="303903"][/post]​

My point, which perhaps was too subtle. When you spend up to 1/2 the nights every month in a hotel, it'd be nice to have more than one place to eat or something to do besides watch CNN cycle over and over. At least on the long overnights.

Many crewmembers walk or jog for exercise - it'd be nice if the hotels were in safe areas for those activities.

Jim

Not to be flip....but how much more of your pay/work rules are you willing to sacrifice for those things? Not to say they should be putting crews in the red light district (though some may not complain), everything is under the microscope.

nycbusdriver said:
Here's a novel idea:

Charge appropriate prices for the tickets that will cover the fuel charges!!!!

WHAT A CONCEPT!!!
[post="303835"][/post]​

Here! Here!
Why is it that because of increased fuel costs, that the employees have to pay for it. What happened to the consumer paying their fair share. My father-in-law is a contractor and he is adding fuel surcharges on his bills. Another friend is a commercial Heating and cooling contractor and he has added surcharges. Not one of their customers has said a word. I just received my trash bill and that has a surcharge. Why does the airline industry think that they cannot raise prices to cover their costs. The employees can only bear so much. I am tired of subsidizing these low fairs so people can fly cheaper that it is to drive.

crazyincanton said:
Here! Here!
Why is it that because of increased fuel costs, that the employees have to pay for it. What happened to the consumer paying their fair share. My father-in-law is a contractor and he is adding fuel surcharges on his bills. Another friend is a commercial Heating and cooling contractor and he has added surcharges. Not one of their customers has said a word. I just received my trash bill and that has a surcharge. Why does the airline industry think that they cannot raise prices to cover their costs. The employees can only bear so much. I am tired of subsidizing these low fairs so people can fly cheaper that it is to drive.
[post="304017"][/post]​

Because the costs of airlines providing service to markets smaller than 500,000 people, intl service, etc., is inherently higher than airlines like jetBlue and Southwest who cherry pick the best routes and have simplistic operations that allow lower costs.

They've got to set fares to match the most suicidal/idiotic people in the market in order to compete. That means cheapo fares on PHL-BDL and PHL-PIT. Unfortunately for airlines like US, Southwest has some decent fuel hedges allowing them to keep their own fares down and actually make money (most doubt WN would be in such a rosy world without fuel hedges).

MarkMyWords said:
Not to be flip....but how much more of your pay/work rules are you willing to sacrifice for those things? Not to say they should be putting crews in the red light district (though some may not complain), everything is under the microscope.
[post="304011"][/post]​

We already have sacrified, let me count the times. No more sacrifices are forthcoming.

Not asking for the Ritz Carlton, just a clean accomodation with some decent place to eat, excercise, and relax in a safe location.

And you did mean to be flip didn't you?

No I didn't mean to sound flip at all, but to play devils advocate. When we were in concession talks, everyone asked what was being done, besides taking from the employees, to reduce costs. You can see some of that in decisions like not mailing receipts, not providing inflight oxygen, not carrying animals, etc. If you can find crew/employee accomdations for less - helping to reduce costs on a non-employee concession - then wouldn't you prefer to stay at a Holiday Inn Express with a little less to do around the hotel, or would you prefer to give another 5%?

Cost cuts are coming from every aspect of running the airline. I would rather they turn every stone in the company looking for ways to cut costs than come looking to the employees for another hand out, wouldn't you?

MarkMyWords said:
No I didn't mean to sound flip at all, but to play devils advocate. When we were in concession talks, everyone asked what was being done, besides taking from the employees, to reduce costs. You can see some of that in decisions like not mailing receipts, not providing inflight oxygen, not carrying animals, etc. If you can find crew/employee accomdations for less - helping to reduce costs on a non-employee concession - then wouldn't you prefer to stay at a Holiday Inn Express with a little less to do around the hotel, or would you prefer to give another 5%?

Cost cuts are coming from every aspect of running the airline. I would rather they turn every stone in the company looking for ways to cut costs than come looking to the employees for another hand out, wouldn't you?
[post="304129"][/post]​
Yes, I understand cutting costs, but haven't we already given enough. Most of the layovers were already at cheap hotels. We had about 5 descent hotels remaining; PHX/L, SEA/L, FLL(not Plantation), LAX/S , ORD/L. Given that we now have to work a lot more, it was nice to occassionally stay at one of these hotels. It feels like a slap in the face to work a 14 hour day and then spend the night at the Plantation. This is definitely a quality of life issue for crew members who spend 1/3 of their life away from home. This is another cheap management decision like getting rid of pretzels for a month to pay $1,000,000 severance packages. Thanks again CCY. :down:

So you'd rather stay at a better hotel and have them come back for an additional pay cut? You can't have both.

MarkMyWords said:
So you'd rather stay at a better hotel and have them come back for an additional pay cut? You can't have both.
[post="304203"][/post]​
How much more of a paycut would these 5 overnights cost?

Where's the hotel committee? F/A and pilot groups both have them, they approve the facilities....Complain to them, or if you have hotel issues, report them! There is a prompt on the pilot 800 line to do that.....it can also be done through the hub, under flight crew news.

As far as the cost...you'd be surprised at the rates we get at "good" hotels. I've seen some rooms that go for 200/night that we pay 32/night for.

Seems to me that some changes need to be made in the make up of the hotel committees. Wouldnt hurt also, to have access to committee memebers, and perhaps have them explain why one property was chosen over another.

mmw,

you don't seen to understand by changing our overnights to a hotel that is in an isotated area no resturants/fast food/grocery store/in house gym/movies/libary/drug store. For a crew member this translated to a paycut. Without these things we are forced to purchase all of our daily essential items at an overpriced hotel room service/gift shop/ off location gym. Also how much of a price tag to you put on saftey?

How does safety tie into this? No Gym, no fast food, etc etc.....where is the safety issue?

oh,ok gotcha mmw. Thanks for the clarification.

Again....where are the hotel committee members??????