IAM has reached a tentative agreement

Memo

TO: Crystal Palace
Out, Again
REF: Going Forward

Gentlemen;

The ball is now in your court. You have whipsawed labor in a way only possible in a wet dream two years ago. The upside to this, as far as I'm concerned, is you can't blame labor for all of your problems now. YOU are now, finally, responsible and accountable for YOUR actions.

Here's a little secret - remember all the nice DOT stats we, not you, produced while you were putting the screws to us? It wasn't because we're masochists or stupid - it was because we're professionals and because we realize a successful airline is the only real job security. In other words, we've BEEN living up to our end of the deal - and we are overdue for you to live up to yours. For what it's worth, a few thoughts.

1. Create a meaningful suggestion program. It must bypass current supervision and management(who, if they didn't think of it, it must be impossible), and land somewhere that can objectively analyze and act on the information. We don't need awards, or upgrades or any trinkets for the suggestion. A simple, sincere thank you and implementation will suffice.

2. Here's the one you'll hate. Let the troops evaluate management. There are plenty of scientific, valid, off-the-shelf means to accomplish this. Here's what you get. If the boss, and his department numbers, are the middle of the bell curve, ok, he's doing his job, but nothing special. If his numbers skew high, well, give that man a promotion. Observe and learn something from him. I'll guarantee he doesn't post solid numbers by abusing his people. If the numbers come in low, it's time to send in a troubleshooter and see what the problem is. Could be the troops, could be the boss, but a problem that needs attention. Put the whole deal in a database, and in one afternoon, one clerk could tell you how things are really going, and it won't be the BS you're currently getting fed.

3. Focus on the folks that pay your salary - the customer. Piney Bob, TomBascom, Art and a host of others have stuck with us through this nightmare. Find out why, and give them more of it.

4. Abide by the labor contracts, tattered as they now are, instead of ignoring and abusing them. Generate some trust.

And here's a little test. If this post made you think, damn, Dio is a SOB, but he's on to something, you pass.

If your first impulse is to track me down and fire me, you're part of the problem.

If the company goes out of business we wont have to complain about paying higher deductibles. Instead we will either not have or will likely have to replace insurance coverage for medical, dental, orthodontics, Life, workers comp, and long term disability. Instead of paying between $50 and $170 per month it could be either $600 or $1000 per month.

These are trying times and the cost of insurance is skyrocketing. US Airways cannot afford to pay its employees previous pay and benefits and a no vote is a mote for no company.

If somebody doesn't like the new TA's, they have a choice. Quit and look for employment elsewhere.

However, wouldn't even if you are going to be furloughed to vote yes and keep an income coming in, have severance pay, COBRA pass privileges, keep the vested portion of your retirement, keep your defined contribution plan in place, obtain a J4J job if necessary, and recall rights?

Or is it better to vote no so US Airways can permanently close its doors?

Chip

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chip, let the troops decide their fate without interference. Give these people, the ones who run this airline the right to choose what is best for themselves and their loved ones. Give them the dignity they desire by stepping down and letting their God given common sense guide them. Your endless rants on why everyone must submit no matter what are insulting to the men and women who make this airline what it is. Just this one time, take a seat and shut up Chip! Have some faith that your fellow employees are as smart as you.

Also....Merry Christmas to you Chip and every other U employee, we all desire it, especially this year.

Cavalier

Pit A&P Mechanic

If the company goes out of business we wont have to complain about paying higher deductibles. Instead we will either not have or will likely have to replace insurance coverage for medical, dental, orthodontics, Life, workers comp, and long term disability. Instead of paying between $50 and $170 per month it could be either $600 or $1000 per month.

These are trying times and the cost of insurance is skyrocketing. US Airways cannot afford to pay its employees previous pay and benefits and a no vote is a mote for no company.

If somebody doesn't like the new TA's, they have a choice. Quit and look for employment elsewhere.

However, wouldn't even if you are going to be furloughed to vote yes and keep an income coming in, have severance pay, COBRA pass privileges, keep the vested portion of your retirement, keep your defined contribution plan in place, obtain a J4J job if necessary, and recall rights?

Or is it better to vote no so US Airways can permanently close its doors?

Chip

Chip...

Honestly, the only chance I now have to get a 15 week severance is to vote YES..I'm willing to "give" for the LAST time. There will be NO more... I want to see what Dave can and will do, he has enough of "our" money and a loan {I hope}. Lets start to INCREASE revenue with some SMART business decisions and get rid of some real old management styles.

It's time for this current management to "mend" fences with Labor, but I don't know if they are willing or have the desire to do so...

Dio & MikeW:

I agree with your statements. The new agreements are distasteful for all of us. The company now has a significant cost advantage, will reveal its POR later this morning, and better now go out and compete.

It's time to rebuild this airline and move forward. I like you am sick of this whole situation.

In the end and all the in-fighting, the employees gave under duress because the liquidaiton threat was real. Now we all want our profit sharing, stock options, and incremental pay raises, so I say let's give the competition a run for their money and post sky rocketing profits.

Chip

Maybe he could hire Trent Lott to write his remarks to the press!

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/20/2002 10:16:28 PM A&P Tech wrote:
[P]Be Assured Dave and Co. will be back in 2 months or so asking for more!!!!! Just can't get it done..Give..Give..Give!!![/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P][STRONG]if thatts the way ,then....i must tell him,my cow died i don't need his bull ne more![/STRONG]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/20/2002 11:20:54 PM PineyBob wrote:

Bravo Diogenes! Bravo.
Very well said. We shall soon see what Mr. Siegel is really made of! I think he is up to the task at hand! My question is will he he be able to rally the management side in Fort Fumble to implement his plans. I have heard rumors that the Agh, PSA, Pdmt rivalries still exist and it is one of the things that constatnly drags down management. Any truth to those rumors?
----------------
[/blockquote]
-----------------------------------------------------------

PineyBob,

First, thank you for the kind words.

The PSA/AL/PI rivalry was deadly, and had consequences lasting unto this day. After merger, instead of rationalizing the operation, US kept a PIT/PHL centric attitude. It was, and is, foolish to have major hubs located so closely together. It has only now been partially addressed. Additionally, one of the contenders for the Colodny throne was a former AA veep who despised PI. It was open season on former PI employees, and the PI way. As one who loved PI, I nevertheless accepted the merger and worked my a$$ off to make US work, but I must say the antipathy from the Palace was palpable and unprofessional.

Now amongst the grunts, the rivalries have pretty much receeded to the level of "who's the best college basketball team". As there has been no steady hand on the tiller, we've been too busy steering the good ship US from deck level by sail management and weight placement - inefficient, but the only tool we have to hand.

But the effects are still with us. For example, why do we still have offices in PIT, INT and CCY - only some progress has been made on this front. This question goes back to the Schofield days, who promised "we'll get around to that." Under BK, abrogate and move to a cheap operating location, or renegotiate CCY to a reasonable rate.

As to the best college basketball team - University of National Champions - UNC

I was also with Piedmont, loved it, and you are right, the rivalry between US and PI was terrible. US threw out everyting good PI had, replaced it with outdated technology etc. We still to this day are re-implementing some of the things PI used to do! And by the way, the best Basketball team is not UNC, it is ANYONE that plays against DUKE!

Happy Hollidays

Hi Tugslug4hire?

I do have intellect....

All i am saying is how much can we keep giving.
Can you live on $13.00 an hour and send kids to college.

What will be next if this doesn't work

Give more.

The average wage in the USA is $15.00 an hour and we won't even be making that.

Oh, and if this country goes to war and we are laid off USairways doesn't have to pay us severence.

Read your so called contract.

Have A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/21/2002 7:35:18 AM diogenes wrote:

Now amongst the grunts, the rivalries have pretty much receeded to the level of "who's the best college basketball team". As there has been no steady hand on the tiller, we've been too busy steering the good ship US by sail management and weight placement - inefficient, but the only tool we have to hand.
----------------
[/blockquote]
Dio,

That's the way I see it in CLT. It doesn't matter what airline you came from, we just want somebody in management to act like they want to run an airline instead of a paper mill!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/21/2002 7:35:18 AM diogenes wrote:

But the effects are still with us. For example, why do we still have offices in PIT, INT and CCY - only some progress has been made on this front. This question goes back to the Schofield days, who promised "we'll get around to that." Under BK, abrogate and move to a cheap operating location, or renegotiate CCY to a reasonable rate.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Once agian spot on. As we've been trying to keep this endeavor flying, several things out of our control have been working agianst us. The two Dio mentioned are prime and highly visible examples.

Dear Management,

The ball is in your court. We'll keep doing what we have been doing. Please don't keep doing what you have been doing.

The success of the Plan of Reorganization filed with the court on Dec. 20 depends several remaining items:

1)Obtaining final approval of the federal loan guarantee from the ATSB
2)Resolving our pension funding liability
3)Ratification of additional labor cost savings from all of our union groups
4)If we do these things above, we will be able to satisfy RSA's concerns and we are on our way.

We are committed to our "fast-track" Chapter 11 reorganization that will position the airline for success. The employees have been incredible for participating and cooperating in a process designed to save the company.

Just like labor, management has stepped up with additional cost savings.

Quick ratification of the Tentative Agreements reached with CWA, TWU, IAM and AFA is critical to our successful reorganization. As you know, without the cost savings, RSA has said it may walk away from the deal. While we don't like hearing that, they are the "bank" and can do what they want.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/21/2002 10:12:57 AM PineyBob wrote:
[P]US has 500 laser printers using 1 cartridge per month @$100.00/ea. or a total $50,000 per month in printer supply costs. Well its great to say hey I can get cartridges for $95.00/ea and save $5,000.00 per month. But why not ask the question "Do we really need all those Printers?" Suppose I do an analysis and determine that the work could be done using 250 new printers that 3 times faster and also act as copiers and have a operating cost of half the older printers. Even with the cost of leasing all the new printers I have saved the company about $20,000 per month and made the workers more productive. That was a live example from my career but it proves my point that saving $5,000.00 was to be commended it was merely the tip of the icebeg in terms of what could have been saved. This is the kind of thinking throughout the enterprise that will save US.[/P]----------------[BR][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]As a complete aside,[BR][BR]Bob, I swear that you must work for Xerox and just pitched and sold that line to my company [/P]
6.gif']

PineyBob,
I read an article a couple of months ago that said US Airways pays some unGodly rent for their space at Crystal City.It was way above and beyond what the other tenants pay.Dave and all of his underlings should pack their things and rent four or five construction trailers and put them at DCA or some other airport where they can actually see the planes,move in and get to work.After all,they did say we had to get leaner and meaner.