If they are On Board, write em up

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should see how most of the flight attendants leave the seats when they nonrev or deadhead. As a group, they have no room to talk.

Maybe the flight attendants you see, but the ones I non rev with are extraordinarily tidy. Most time we don''t even ask for anything to drink. we bring our own.

The bottom line is...were any rules and regulations broken? Mr Super Pilot can get his feelings hurt and decide that he will put the gates and ramps in their place by ratting them out, but what if the gates and ramps were in their rights to do what the squeelers accuse them of?

What if the pilot was testing the system? Did she breech security?

It isn't tattling if the rat is in the wrong. As long as the accused are in their rights, let the fool dispell all doubt :ph34r:

The bottom line is...were any rules and regulations broken? Mr Super Pilot can get his feelings hurt and decide that he will put the gates and ramps in their place by ratting them out, but what if the gates and ramps were in their rights to do what the squeelers accuse them of?

What if the pilot was testing the system? Did she breech security?

It isn't tattling if the rat is in the wrong. As long as the accused are in their rights, let the fool dispell all doubt :ph34r:

Stay the heck out of the way until the crew turns the plane over to you and the ramp gets most of their stuff done.
Plane is not going to be late if you wait 15 mins to do your walk around... rookie.

Rookie is right...12 years, big deal. Let them do their job, unencumbered by a zealous pilot wanting to prove his worth.
When things slow down and it's safe to get on the ramp, take possession of the aircraft and do your J.O.B.

Jeeze...

You were in violation of security procedure. Next time I hope they call the police on you.

I can't stop laughing. Are you actually an airline employee? Go ahead and call the police on a crewmember doing an aircraft preflight you bonehead. Second, go back and read my original post. I was not the one who was doing the walk around. This was an event report by another crewmember.

Stay the heck out of the way until the crew turns the plane over to you and the ramp gets most of their stuff done.
Plane is not going to be late if you wait 15 mins to do your walk around... rookie.

hahaha..hahhah..talk about a rookie....

The plane was already late, otherwise the pilot would not have been there to meet it!

this thread is a joke....right????

This airline will continue to suffer so long as antagonistic and toxic relationship exist between labor groups and management. Unfortunately, little is ever solved by petty acts of protest as it just worsen relationships between workers, other labor groups, management and the flying public. There isn't a legacy airline I know about who has not experienced the work slow, errrrr... safe mentality on the ramp or some silly turf war of "my ramp" or "my bags" as a defense of contract scope.

I honestly do not know what it would take to make this airline to be "One Big Happy Crew" of Southwest employees where supervisors assist in quick turns (and it is allowed by contract) and pilots willingly assist in gate checks (and the ramp agents are glad to have the help). I know people would say, "Pay us more," and I doubt that it would even be enough assuming the company could even afford it. Personally, I think it has more to do with attitude and the corporate culture.

Do we need a Zig Ziglar as the US Chairman and CEO?

So Ponders Jester.

If you won't do your job, inconvenience and our passengers you are going to be written up. Remember that next time you are on board. You are not going to play games with our airline and get away with it. It is not going to be business as usual like it was at the old US Air. We are not going to put up with this type of non-sense.

I applaud this crew member for sending in a report. I hope few people will get to retire early after they get called in to explain their actions.

I'm getting tired of this "on board" non-sense.

Our inbound aircraft was delayed due to thunderstorms in the Charlotte area and eventually diverted. Our departure time kept getting delayed further and further.

After waiting around the terminal for over 2 hours, our aircraft was finally reported to be on the ground in CLT.

In an effort to expedite the turn of our aircraft and avoid further inconveniencing our 120+ passengers I proceeded down the jetway and on to the ramp to meet the plane as it arrived and get started on my pre-flight walk around.

Almost immediately upon setting foot on the ramp, a ramp agent (whom I assume was the ramp lead for that gate) approached me in what I interpreted as a hostile manner asking me what I was doing on the ramp. I informed him that I was there to meet the incoming plane and do my preflight duties.

As the aircraft approached the terminal area, he again approached me and asked me to leave "his" ramp. I was somewhat taken aback by this request and asked him to repeat. He informed me that he didn't want me in the way.

I offered to stand next to the terminal, some 40 feet away from the aircraft parking area to which he told me that he wanted me in the jetway and off the ramp so that I "would not be in the way of any of his crew" as they parked the aircraft.

I retreated back to the terminal. As a result, I was not able to re-gain access to the ramp until the onslaught of deplaning passengers were off the aircraft and out of the jetway. This caused a further delay of accomplishing my duties of pre-flight checking the aircraft.

Due to observing this behavior and the fact that my encounters with him had a borderline harassing and confrontational tone, I elected to report the incident to a supervisor.

In 12 years of working at America West/US Airways, I have never been asked to leave the ramp by a ramp agent.

In 12 years, any time I am present at the gate when the inbound aircraft approaches, I go down to the ramp to begin my walk around as soon as the engines are shut down in an effort to expedite the turn of the aircraft. There has NEVER been of question or problem of me proceeding in this fashion prior to this incident.

If there is a new policy in place that prohibits pilots from being on the ramp when an aircraft approaches the gate, it has not been brought to my attention. I request confirmation as to whether such a policy exists or is forthcoming.

Also, in both of my exchanges with this person, I felt that his behavior was aggressive, confrontational and borderline harassment and believe that further investigation might be warranted.
---------------------------------------------

Event report:

Due to a non-full flight, early departure and favorable winds, we arrived in Charlotte ahead of schedule in the early morning of June 7th.

We touched down in CLT 23 minutes ahead of schedule at 5:39 AM.

As we approached gate B4 we found the area to be blocked by cones. Inspection of ALL the other gates we could see revealed no cones blocking aircraft access to the J-line.

No rampers were present so we stopped short and waited. Eventually, rampers began moving around the gate area (very slowly) and none of them acknowledged that we were there. No hand signals were given.

At any given time there were 2 to 6 rampers present with no effort being made to move or communicate with us. At one point they all stood with their backs turned toward us and it looked like hands in pockets.

When one ramper removed the cones that were blocking us, another drove a tug and baggage carts across the J-line further blocking our progress.

We called operations to ask what was going on to which a voice replied "They are on board." We asked "What does that mean?" and the voice replied "They are on board for safety."

We do not know if the origin of the voice was from operations or another location.

In the end, we spent 9 minutes burning fuel while the rampers milled around, blocked, and stood with their backs toward us.

With all the flight information/tracking we employ in our operations and ACARS in-range communications I have no doubt that EVERYONE on the ground in CLT knew exactly when we would be there and were still not prepared when we arrived. In addition, they appeared to be intentionally delaying our arrival.

The behavior of the ramp personnel, operations personnel and potentially others on the radio was totally unprofessional and embarrassing. In addition, it caused the unnecessary waste of fuel.

Poor work ethics were exhibited by all ground personnel involved.

if you are half as annoying in person as you are on these boards, that would explain the rampers actions. you seem like your looking for trouble or a confrontation.

chock jockey,

Some years ago at DCA the chief pilot office put out a letter to the pilots advising that the pilots were gettiing in the cleaners way while the pilots were trying to get to the flight deck to do their jobs. The answer was simple back then and simple now. I will wait in the crewroom until somebody comes to tell me it is ok for me to board the aircraft of course the airplane will be late or later but hey at least we won't be gettiing in any other employees way!

Regards,

Bob
If hanging around outside the jetbridge or being in the way of the cleaners is a pilot's prerogative then by all means they should do so, as long as they realize rare protestations may arise from being in a shared work area with shared time constraints. Sometimes I think that at US Airways operational success is achieved not by strict adherence and observance of policy but rather by learning the sport of invoking or ignoring procedure as the task at hand warrants.

More often than not people want to see justice done by their own perspective, they have their proprietary concept of How Things Should Be and are made aggravated and angry when things don't go their way. This indicates a pride and overconfidence in their own opinions and experience, but since they never take the time or trouble to understand the practices and pressures under which their co-workers work they are capable or interpreting them only as inconveniences to their own agendas. Folks on here talk about having X number of years doing the same job or being in the same workgroup, but with that experience comes entrenchment and inflexibility, and with that factionalism, tunnel vision and incessant years-lasting bickering of which this thread is the latest example and incarnation.

Those who are unwilling to exorcise themselves of their vanity and self-righteousness will enjoy the rancid fruits they will bear them. I'm not a religious person, I don't know what it is about these boards that gets me all liturgic...maybe it's the arrogance that comes with anonymity?

name='Jester' timestamp='1307587622' post='807441
This airline will continue to suffer so long as antagonistic and toxic relationship exist between labor groups and management. Unfortunately, little is ever solved by petty acts of protest as it just worsen relationships between workers, other labor groups, management and the flying public. There isn't a legacy airline I know about who has not experienced the work slow, errrrr... safe mentality on the ramp or some silly turf war of "my ramp" or "my bags" as a defense of contract scope.

I honestly do not know what it would take to make this airline to be "One Big Happy Crew" of Southwest employees where supervisors assist in quick turns (and it is allowed by contract) and pilots willingly assist in gate checks (and the ramp agents are glad to have the help). I know people would say, "Pay us more," and I doubt that it would even be enough assuming the company could even afford it. Personally, I think it has more to do with attitude and the corporate culture.

Do we need a Zig Ziglar as the US Chairman and CEO?
I provide one example of a petty work action and it is snitching. These people completely missed the point. It's this all about me crowd. Who cares about the paying passengers anyway? Typical liberal I am entitled attitude. I'm not surprised because they complain about the company and probably could not run a lemonade stand.

Where the heck do some of you think you paycheck comes from? The government? There has to be a reason that this airline comes in last place in customer satisfaction. If it makes me a company man to get my passengers from point A to B safely and on time, fine I am a company man.

The rest of you can get up in the morning drag your butts to work, spend the day making your co-workers and customers miserable and then whine online when someone like me calls you out.

As we approached gate B4 we found the area to be blocked by cones. Inspection of ALL the other gates we could see revealed no cones blocking aircraft access to the J-line.

What year did this happen? There are no J lines on B ramp, they were removed years ago...If it was this year, B4 was being pressure washed that night, there were no cones put out for that operation....

I provide one example of a petty work action and it is snitching. These people completely missed the point. It's this all about me crowd. Who cares about the paying passengers anyway? Typical liberal I am entitled attitude. I'm not surprised because they complain about the company and probably could not run a lemonade stand.

Where the heck do some of you think you paycheck comes from? The government? There has to be a reason that this airline comes in last place in customer satisfaction. If it makes me a company man to get my passengers from point A to B safely and on time, fine I am a company man.

The rest of you can get up in the morning drag your butts to work, spend the day making your co-workers and customers miserable and then whine online when someone like me calls you out.

You know it's not what you say it's how you say it. You come across as a pilot with a "God Complex" and as you reported and very accurately I might add that a ramp crew can make you wait a good long time and there isn't a blessed thing you can do about it.

DUI Doug and his merry band created the atmosphere, not those who work for the company. Anyone who has spent 5 minutes in an HR class will tell you that it's Management that sets the tone of the work environment. So if you want to know why the Customer Satisfaction numbers suck the big one, step back from kissing Doug's ass so you get a big picture view. Doug has all but stated that Customer Satisfaction isn't part of the equation. So when he says it I believe him and the last $1,587.00 ticket I flew on was with Delta. Trust me when I tell you it was a purchase decision made not because the ramp doesn't always "Hop To It, but because the so called leadership has made it clear they don't value my business.

Want to know why the ramp and other work groups don't rush to Get R Done because Doug the Genius told them essentially "It;s a job, don't think of it as a career". Words like that would make me run at lightning speed to unload a plane, NOT, It would however make me spend hours on line searching for a new job. See loyalty for customer and employee is a two way street.

Look at your own dysfunctional work group BEFORE you criticize anyone. As a group you've lost in earning more than the entire executive teams bonuses since 2005 and that's just this year alone compared to 5 years of executive bonuses. Mr Pot, Meet Mr Kettle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back