In Case You're Wondering What Will Happen...

NYPD

Sep 7, 2002
Just in case the other work groups don't get it, and in case upper management thinks that maintenance employees can't see what's happening, let me point out one more time: Heavy maintenance isn't part of management's "going forward plan". Therefore, you will not see that group participating voluntarily for any concessions.

Until there is a commitment by this management team to the thousands of maintenance employees, there will be no "going forward". This, I'm afraid, is exactly what management wants...an excuse to pull the plug and take the money and run. Siegel takes the CEO reins at another corporation and Bronner puts his money into some other "project". The 30,000 employees are left without a company or a livelihood.

It is all so sad and CRIMINAL!

That fat lady is Kate Smith. She used to sing God Bless America before Philadelphia Flyers games in the early 70s and they were sucessful with their fat lady good luck charm.

:D

Jay

dont forget the folks who ar stuck at the expressed mainline cities that were outsourced just late last year. count us as a no vote especially when it comes down to a concession vote for paycuts.

AIRLINE FOR SALE BY OWNER!!!!!!

Price drastically reduced!!!! Many extras......will sacrafice more for quick sale!!!!

No reasonable offer will be refused :blink:

Contact Dr. Dave Boner or his faithful stepson, Dave Lorenzo. :lol: :lol:

You are correct, managment has left the MAJORITY of maintenance employees with no option but to stand firm with our current contract. Contrary to some peoples opinion on this board most maintenance is not to be included in the now famous "going foward plan", so trying to strike a deal is of no use to the majority of the employee group.

AP Tech said:
You are correct, managment has left the MAJORITY of maintenance employees with no option but to stand firm with our current contract. Contrary to some peoples opinion on this board most maintenance is not to be included in the now famous "going foward plan", so trying to strike a deal is of no use to the majority of the employee group.
You think it will be a majority, but no one will know for sure until the vote is taken. One employee, one vote. However, with the IAM track record as an indicator, I can't see them breaking with tradition which is to vote each and every contract or amendment down at least once. Difference is, we may not get but one crack at it this time, who knows? But it still comes down to a vote in any case.
I'd like to think that everyone sat down and weighed the issues and made an informed decision, but emotions are running higher this time and I can't help but wonder how much that will play into the big picture. Probably a lot. I am very disheartened that all the talk the first of the year from management was about productivity, but soon as we (ALPA) assumed a concessionary posture, management went for the throat with all of us.
At the meeting with Dr. Bronner, he was very addement(sp) that we work together with management to come up with solutions to our probems operationally and financially. Someone forgot to mention that to the brass that run the show around here and it sure looks like business as usual to me.

Well, enough of these ramblings!!! I gotta work in the morning. Good evening to all.

A320 Driver B)

A320 Driver said:
You think it will be a majority, but no one will know for sure until the vote is taken. One employee, one vote. However, with the IAM track record as an indicator, I can't see them breaking with tradition which is to vote each and every contract or amendment down at least once. Difference is, we may not get but one crack at it this time, who knows? But it still comes down to a vote in any case.
I'd like to think that everyone sat down and weighed the issues and made an informed decision, but emotions are running higher this time and I can't help but wonder how much that will play into the big picture. Probably a lot. I am very disheartened that all the talk the first of the year from management was about productivity, but soon as we (ALPA) assumed a concessionary posture, management went for the throat with all of us.
At the meeting with Dr. Bronner, he was very addement(sp) that we work together with management to come up with solutions to our probems operationally and financially. Someone forgot to mention that to the brass that run the show around here and it sure looks like business as usual to me.

Well, enough of these ramblings!!! I gotta work in the morning. Good evening to all.

A320 Driver B)
Once again you know not what you are talking about.

The IAM does not have a history of voting contracts down, since 1949 there has been one strike, and when times are good and the company does not pony up too bad, it is a democratic right within our union (unlike you'res) that the membership decides.

Your MEC with is tradition bending over for dave and take it every time, but my union and its members at least has the fortitude to stand up for themselves.

And I do remember the AFA voting down concessions in 1994 or so when Schofield came back for more.

And let me ask you this, dave and jerry have proven that they cannot adhere to the current collective bargaining agreements on the property, why would you trust them again?

By the way how is your pension?

To draw the ire of the cultists...is such a simple thing.

700UW asks:
By the way how is your pension?

36K and climbing last time I looked. That's since January!

A320 Driver

Well my good friend who is a A330 Capt lost $2 million and he is 55.

And I am not a cultist I am a trade unionist, why don't you look up what that means?

Do you know people have died to ensure we have the right to have a union and labor laws?

Go look up the Haymarket Sqaure or the Pinkertons of Maetwon, maybe you will learn something about labor history and how it evolved.

Yep, Jack London wrote about people like you.

So Freud was a cocaine addict yet he is still thought as the father of modern psychiatry.

700UW said:
Well my good friend who is a A330 Capt lost $2 million and he is 55.

And I am not a cultist I am a trade unionist, why don't you look up what that means?

Do you know people have died to ensure we have the right to have a union and labor laws?

Go look up the Haymarket Sqaure or the Pinkertons of Maetwon, maybe you will learn something about labor history and how it evolved.

Yep, Jack London wrote about people like you.
700, its me, i'm BACK....... Question, sir, Why do you seem to worry about 320 so much??? You almost seem to love the fact that he(320,pilots in general), lost money. Why? Does that make you feel better? I thought we were all supposed to be in this together! Pecking order: Pilots..Mechs..F/A's...Utility...Rampers. Pilots make the most, so they must give back the most???? Your a union man, correct?? They negotiated what they currently have, and they dont want to give up what they dont have to, anymore than you or I want to!!! Is that not correct?? I personally think your stuck on the class envy phenomenon, We need to stop going back and forth on who needs to do more!!! Let each UNION group do what they need to do. I understand your frustration with 320 constantly towing the company line. Lets just worry about what we need to do

As far as the Pinkertons, are you aware of Homestead,Pa?? A good read, if your interested is "Out of this furnace", The struggles of ordinary men who worked in the steel mills in Braddock, and Homestead, Pa, and who STARTED UNIONISM!!!! Right in my back yard!! :up:

PineyBob said:
Since you brought up Matewan, I thought I'd let some of the rest in on the historical significance of the Matewan massacre in the labor movement. Here goes:

The Battle of Matewan
by Lon Savage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A young John L. Lewis had just taken office as President of the United Mine Workers of America when, in January of 1920, he announced the campaign in Bluefield, West Virginia: The UMWA would organize coal miners in the southern Appalachians. Lewis knew coal operators would resist to the bitter end, but that didn't matter. The miners wanted to organize; the UMWA had to have their memberships; even coal operators from the midwest favored the drive which might reduce the competitive edge the Southern Appalachian coal mines enjoyed with non-union mines.
Miners along the Tug Fork were ready; many had long wanted to join the miners union. Miners at Burnwell, three miles from Matewan, sent a delegation to the UMWA offices in Charleston, and they returned with a charter of a union local. The drive had begun. It quickly grew.

The coal operators resisted as strongly as expected; when a miner joined the union, he was immediately fired from his job. If he lived in a company-owned home -- as most did -- he was told to move out. If he didn't move out, gun-bearing Baldwin-Felts "detectives" evicted him and his family, setting his furniture out on the road. Despite that kind of opposition, miners by the hundreds along the Tug Fork joined the union. By May 15, 1920, three thousand Tug Fork miners had joined.

Nowhere was union activity greater that spring than in Matewan. There, the police chief, Sid Hatfield, a former miner, and Mayor C. Testerman openly cooperated with the drive and protected the miners as they held organizing meetings in the town.

Despite efforts by Hatfield to keep the Baldwin-Felts detectives away from Matewan, they came anyway. On May 19, 1920, thirteen detectives, including Baldwin-Felts president Thomas Felts, younger brothers Albert and Lee, arrived in Matewan to evict miners and their families from their homes in the Stone Mountain Mine camp.

Nothing angered miners more than "thugs" forcing women and little children from their homes at gunpoint. Word of the evictions spread like wildfire. Angry miners from Matewan and the surrounding area grabbed guns and rushed to the town as the detectives evicted six more families in dismal rainy weather. Hatfield led a group of miners to the Stone Mountain camp and tried to stop the evictions, but the Felts brothers refused his plea. When the detectives returned to Matewan that afternoon, having finished their jobs, Hatfield, surrounded by armed miners, tried to arrest Al Felts for conducting the evictions without proper Matewan authority. As he and Mayor Cable Testerman glared at Al Felts and the other detectives outside the railroad depot, someone fired a shot, and the battle was on.

It lasted about a minute, but hundreds of shots were fired. Al Felts and Cable Testerman fell in the first volley. When it was over, seven detectives, including both Al and Lee Felts, Mayor Testerman, and two miners were dead or dying.

The battle made Sid Hatfield a folk hero for miners throughout the nation. Fifteen months later, the Baldwin-Felts detectives retaliated by killing Hatfield on the McDowell County courthouse steps at Welch, in a murder so brutal that it touched off an armed rebellion of 10,000 West Virginia coal miners in the largest insurrection this country has had since the Civil War.
Piney Bob,
I've got a great collection of video's(VHS), and I'm proud to say that "Matewan"(Chris Cooper/James earl Jones/Mary McDowell, is one of my VERY favorites :up: :up: :up:

NH/BB's

Latest posts