In sourcing ground handling

The paper I viewed had Pinnacle Airlines at the top, it went on to state after a conference call with Delta this is what will happen in these steps at stations 9E operates. It stated the changeovers would occur around Feb. or March in station where 9E/XJ , OH/EV were the contractors in stations where the other airline is mainline. If I can recall station are designated by 4 levels. Summed up bids for ramp handling go out in two weeks. DGS believes they have a leg up on other bidders in GSO is the word going around.

With BDL already having been taken in by DL, could CLT, RDU and others stations come back under the Delta umbrella even sooner than the Feb. or March timeline customer service wise.

With BDL already having been taken in by DL, could CLT, RDU and others stations come back under the Delta umbrella even sooner than the Feb. or March timeline customer service wise.[/quote]
Well I got the memo tonight when I went in from Russ/9E. Sounds promising 9E will get some cities but who knows. There are 4 'buckets' - or categories - of stations on this letter. There is supposed to be a conference call "on-line" this Tuesday for 9E employees...should be interesting. I wouldn't necessarily say DGS would have a leg up - it's too early to tell. Just because they are a wholly-owned subsidary of DAL, does that give them preferences? Their flying benefits suck! They don't even get ID-90/95's or ZED's on other carriers...and they fly at a lower category when they do fly on DAL. ugh! make this madness stop. 9E is very competitive and should have some room to negotitate on their cities...hopefully they will come out on top...

The paper I viewed had Pinnacle Airlines at the top, it went on to state after a conference call with Delta this is what will happen in these steps at stations 9E operates. It stated the changeovers would occur around Feb. or March in station where 9E/XJ , OH/EV were the contractors in stations where the other airline is mainline. If I can recall station are designated by 4 levels. Summed up bids for ramp handling go out in two weeks. DGS believes they have a leg up on other bidders in GSO is the word going around.

With BDL already having been taken in by DL, could CLT, RDU and others stations come back under the Delta umbrella even sooner than the Feb. or March timeline customer service wise.
BDL was not take in by DL. DGS is doing the work. They are a contractor, not mainline Delta.

BDL was not take in by DL. DGS is doing the work. They are a contractor, not mainline Delta.

Within the next few months, Mesaba will become a Delta Conx Carrier. The 18 stations that are handled by both Mesaba and Comair (above and below wing) will be up for bid and will go to the lowest bidder. The employees from the losing company will have to apply for jobs with the company that wins the bid. If you do get hired by the winning company you will not have any seniority.

So what happens if Comair is doing below ground for Delta (and Skywest- at my airport anyways), DL is mainline above wing and 9E is doing ticket counter and ramp for NWA? Is Comair's ramp also being bid out or is it just 9E work that's being bid out?

I would do as I am doing now. Update your resume and brush up on your interviewing technique.

Resume is up-to-date and interviewing skills are sharp. Fortunately, this isn't my livelihood - only a p/t gig for non-revving. Who knows, maybe Pinnacle and Comair employees both may both be interviewing for their jobs back. If 9e and Comair are not the winning bidders, I would hope Mesaba would come in - definitely not DGS.

So what happens if Comair is doing below ground for Delta (and Skywest- at my airport anyways), DL is mainline above wing and 9E is doing ticket counter and ramp for NWA? Is Comair's ramp also being bid out or is it just 9E work that's being bid out?

I dont know for sure- I have a relative working for Mesaba and one for Comair. They got noticed that the 18 stations that Comair and Mesaba are servicing at the same airport for DL and NW above and below wing will be up for bid between the two. I think I heard them say that if DL mainline is above wing and the ground is outsourced then the ground will go up for re bid but I do not know that for a fact....anyone heard?

That's correct, unless there is NW mainline in the same city, in which case they'll take it over...
So even if 9E and Comair are the only carriers below wing at a particular station, other bidders can/will bid? (Mesaba, DGS, Jetstream, etc?)

I don't know- I think that most outsourced stations have a term contract for 2-3 years and after that the carrier can either renew it or put it up for bid. I wouldnt be surprised if post merger all stations that can go up for bid, will go up for bid. Fuel may have gone down and luggage fees up but the cost of the merger itself has to be $$$$$ and I am sure they will seize every opportunity to save a dime where ever they can. I can't imagine how many jobs will be affected....

So even if 9E and Comair are the only carriers below wing at a particular station, other bidders can/will bid? (Mesaba, DGS, Jetstream, etc?)

Yes.

My understanding is that if a connection carrier (from either side) is there, then it'll stay "Delta Connection" going forward. For the sake of discussion, that includes DGS, along with XJ, OH, 9E (I think???)... There's only a few cities that are completely vendored out to 3rd parties on both sides, BTW.

So in short, you have just as many questions as the rest of us at M/L....

I don't know- I think that most outsourced stations have a term contract for 2-3 years and after that the carrier can either renew it or put it up for bid. I wouldnt be surprised if post merger all stations that can go up for bid, will go up for bid. Fuel may have gone down and luggage fees up but the cost of the merger itself has to be $$$$$ and I am sure they will seize every opportunity to save a dime where ever they can. I can't imagine how many jobs will be affected....

Why pay someone else for the work you can do in house?

I have to ask this question. This may or may not be on topic, but wanted to ask someone who would be familiar with this.

My nephew saw an ad on Delta's site that had an opening for their "ready reserve" ramp slot at EWR. I have been told that that is part of Delta mainline, but technically, you are even less than a part-time employee. Presently he works for DGS (They handle the Alaska Airlines flights and I think Air Canada too.) and he wants to move over to Delta mainline ramp. (they have a presence along with Northwest - almost side by side with 10 or 11 gates in B-1 at Terminal B - which I know that NW has a A-330 flight - I think to AMS; along with the E-190's from Compass and of course the 9's; - and DL has some 73's; 75's; RJ's from Comair; and the occasional 767) (Side note: Terminal B has FIS so Int' flying takes place there) I would think that once the merger is complete, when Delta will have those 10-11 or so gates, they may or may not need the extra personnel. (Hell, I tried to get him to work with me at CO, but he waited too long just before the fuel crisis and the hiring freeze hit the hub.) I know a couple of the NW and DL people there, and they are a bit nervous about the merger, since if either NW or DL have stations in the same city (ex:EWR) and have mainline personnel above and below wing, no one would speculate or say how would that work out as far as seniority goes, and will there be room for new blood? He thinks that this is a better way to get him into DL, but I told him to wait and see..... He is tired of working at DGS and wants to pursue this opportunity

If DL have their own in house outsourcing outfit (which pays much lower, and less benefits), why can't they just take over ALL of the outsourced stations where DL / NW does not have mainline employees? Or do DGS have to bid against the likes of WFS and Servisair, and why? I thought that DGS is part of Delta - either just a stepchild of Delta, or a way to get their "entry level" employees into the door of mainline.

Just a thought...........

I have to ask this question. This may or may not be on topic, but wanted to ask someone who would be familiar with this.

My nephew saw an ad on Delta's site that had an opening for their "ready reserve" ramp slot at EWR. I have been told that that is part of Delta mainline, but technically, you are even less than a part-time employee.

That's correct. No benefits (unless you count non-revving), a max of 999 hours/yearly you can work & you're essentially on call.... Some stations set the schedule ahead of time, but not all...

... which I know that NW has a A-330 flight - I think to AMS

Correct.

I would think that once the merger is complete, when Delta will have those 10-11 or so gates, they may or may not need the extra personnel. (Hell, I tried to get him to work with me at CO, but he waited too long just before the fuel crisis and the hiring freeze hit the hub.) I know a couple of the NW and DL people there, and they are a bit nervous about the merger, since if either NW or DL have stations in the same city (ex:EWR) and have mainline personnel above and below wing, no one would speculate or say how would that work out as far as seniority goes, and will there be room for new blood? He thinks that this is a better way to get him into DL, but I told him to wait and see..... He is tired of working at DGS and wants to pursue this opportunity

Probably not the best time to be hiring on...No one knows how they'll integrate the staffing where both carriers are mainline. They also haven't said what the "new" number of people will be for any given station, or how they'll deal with any overages...

If DL have their own in house outsourcing outfit (which pays much lower, and less benefits), why can't they just take over ALL of the outsourced stations where DL / NW does not have mainline employees? Or do DGS have to bid against the likes of WFS and Servisair, and why? I thought that DGS is part of Delta - either just a stepchild of Delta, or a way to get their "entry level" employees into the door of mainline.

Just a thought...........

DGS is a wholly owned subsidiary of DL. They do have to bid against 3rd party vendors (or at least be competitive). DL has no problem replacing them with the likes of ATS, even when it comes to handling DL planes (this happened in PDX, by the way).

I have to ask the question. If I recollect correctly back when NWA closed numerous stations for the ramp it was based on the number of flights to and from the station. With a combined Delta/NWA and the number of flights to the stations will they continue to be outsourced? I suppose this should really be asked in the NWA forum but here it is. Also do the NWA ramp scope clauses have a minimum number for flights for the station to manned by mainline employees?

Back