In sourcing ground handling

Apparently not- I don't know what the threshhold was but the combined NW/DL flights in our city (an outsouced station) would be around 16-18 (according to the projected schedules) with 50-70 employees- its definitely staying outsourced and is up for bid. Maybe someone from NW M/L will add a post.

I also heard comments from a senior Comair employee that DL is "letting" other companies bid but Comair will retain the contracts in the cities they are in because they are wholly owned- is that just wishful thinking on their part? I heard Mesaba will also become wholly owned by DL in addition to being a DL Conx Carrier. Anyone know this for a fact? Hard to believe any of the rumors flying around this past week since the "Day One" intergration letters were released......

Thanks for the info Kev.
My nephew said that the RR slot(s) are for the Nov/Jan holiday travel seasons, and they would schedule him according to need. But they also told him that he would probably have a schedule too.
He also said that the pay is a bit better than DGS, but it is no guarantee that he can get "promoted" into mainline, because no one knows about the staffing situation between NW/DL. (I'm hoping that the flight schedules and destinations would probably be the same for the combined carrier - for my own selfish non-revving interline reasons - LOL!) Since he works "within Delta", I figure he would have the inside track into the job offer. wand would take it to fit his needs.

BTW: My nephew also said the turnover at DGS is crazy!
Some of them went to Signature (who pays slightly better) and has more flights; WFS (all Int'l flights); and Omni-Serv - either above or below wing.
I tried to get him to work with me, but he put his app. in Feb 2008, and it was put on hold because of the "fuel crisis" that stopped the hiring here at CO. (we were supposed to lose 3000 people, but most people took early outs and only about 150 or so pilots lost out.) I don't know when we will be hiring for the ramp again here at the hub.

And thanks for the info about DGS and the fact that they can be replaced by another outsourcing outfit.
Imagine that......... an outsourcer being replaced by an outsourcer.

Bring back the mainline employees.........

At this point I don't know what type of a contract the combined airline will have. I know that ours over at US has some crap about stations that were outsourced in the past won't be brought back. I would hope that if any station became large enough that they would be able to get the work back in house, but you never know.

I have know several people that started out at DL as a RR, with most being hired on after time. At this point he has nothing to lose since he could go back to DGS anytime with their high turnover rate.

Apparently not- I don't know what the threshhold was but the combined NW/DL flights in our city (an outsouced station) would be around 16-18 (according to the projected schedules) with 50-70 employees- its definitely staying outsourced and is up for bid. Maybe someone from NW M/L will add a post.

The threshold(s) at NWA are:

You had to have 50+ mainline departures/week to stay staffed (based on '05 schedules)

To stay open, you need to maintain 30 departures/week (this includes CP, but not XJ or 9E) over a 9 month period.

To reopen, you must have 70 departures/week over a 9 month period. There's a max of 4 stations that can be reopened annually.

Hard to believe any of the rumors flying around this past week since the "Day One" intergration letters were released......

Too true....

Thanks for the info Kev.
And thanks for the info about DGS and the fact that they can be replaced by another outsourcing outfit.
Imagine that......... an outsourcer being replaced by an outsourcer.

You're very welcome! If you have any other questions, post 'em here!

Bring back the mainline employees.........

AMEN!!!!!!

Thanks for the info Kev- no one I asked knew the numbers.
So given the number of regionals in this part of the country the chances of having 70 mainline flights a week is slim to none. Daily our city will have one A320, two DC9s with NW and 2 MD80s with DL daily and the rest will be regionals. Bid awards should be out in 60 days.

DL will be taking over above wing in GSO May 18th, winning bid for ground work will be announced in Jan.

Any word on any other stations for ground work?? I've been anxiously awaiting to hear about my station, where Comair and Pinnacle both are... :blink:
Seems no one knows anything and we are kept in the dark. :down:

Any word on any other stations for ground work?? I've been anxiously awaiting to hear about my station, where Comair and Pinnacle both are... :blink:
Seems no one knows anything and we are kept in the dark. :down:

From what I've heard, anyone can bid, i.e. ATS, Swissport or other ground handlers not just Airlink or Connection partners. It would be nice to have mainline folks, but I think we all know that's not going to happen in these smaller markets. Lots of folks polishing resumes, gotta love the airline industry.

Yeah, I'm sure everyone will bid. Reading a lot lately about Comair - future seems pretty bleak there. Who knows what will happen. I just wish they would let us know 'something'. Word is, the integration will be sometime in May - at least for the outstations.

From what I was told by mgmt @ GSO, there is no chance of DGS losing the contract. That station is #1 or #2 station in the whole DGS system. They havent had a OJI or Aircraft damage this year unlike Pinnacle. Pinnacle employees have had 5 aircraft damages within the past year. There manager was fired for poor performance and there turnover rate is crazy. Simply put by mgmt, there is no way they will allow Pinnacle to have the contract. DGS employes @ GSO are more qualified and more dependable. The companies will receive conformation at the end of the month.

From what I was told by mgmt @ GSO, there is no chance of DGS losing the contract. That station is #1 or #2 station in the whole DGS system. They havent had a OJI or Aircraft damage this year unlike Pinnacle. Pinnacle employees have had 5 aircraft damages within the past year. There manager was fired for poor performance and there turnover rate is crazy. Simply put by mgmt, there is no way they will allow Pinnacle to have the contract. DGS employes @ GSO are more qualified and more dependable. The companies will receive conformation at the end of the month.

How does the local manager in GSO have the authority to make that declaration?

Performance metrics are nice, but at the end of the day, the deciding factor will be "who-can-give-us-the-most-performance-for-the-least-amount-of-money." Period. Just ask all of the NW & DL employees who have seen their stations closed over the years.

How does the local manager in GSO have the authority to make that declaration?

Performance metrics are nice, but at the end of the day, the deciding factor will be "who-can-give-us-the-most-performance-for-the-least-amount-of-money." Period. Just ask all of the NW & DL employees who have seen their stations closed over the years.
I would like to see Pinnacle, DGS, and Comair all to be shown the door and the work returned to it rightful owners.

Back