In sourcing ground handling

How does the local manager in GSO have the authority to make that declaration?

Performance metrics are nice, but at the end of the day, the deciding factor will be "who-can-give-us-the-most-performance-for-the-least-amount-of-money." Period. Just ask all of the NW & DL employees who have seen their stations closed over the years.

Yes, we know its about the almighty dollar. So, if the GSO managers make a statement like that about the contract. You would think he has a friend in the corporate office. If it was just about money at GSO jetstream would have all the contracts. You talk about past stations closing but you failed to realize the situation New Delta is having to deal with now. Since, this merger was approved now they have all eyes on them to see if it fails. Dgs has been in Gso for awhile and it has alot of friends in corporate that will overlook a slightly higher bid than Pinnacle and Jetstream. As I said before, everyone will find out about the decision at the beginning of the month. I would love to see just regular Delta employees but that wave has gone.

Yes, we know its about the almighty dollar. So, if the GSO managers make a statement like that about the contract. You would think he has a friend in the corporate office. If it was just about money at GSO jetstream would have all the contracts. You talk about past stations closing but you failed to realize the situation New Delta is having to deal with now. Since, this merger was approved now they have all eyes on them to see if it fails. Dgs has been in Gso for awhile and it has alot of friends in corporate that will overlook a slightly higher bid than Pinnacle and Jetstream. As I said before, everyone will find out about the decision at the beginning of the month. I would love to see just regular Delta employees but that wave has gone.
Any word on the other stations? (TYS, AVL, CHA)

Yes, we know its about the almighty dollar. So, if the GSO managers make a statement like that about the contract. You would think he has a friend in the corporate office.

Does he/she? I don't know; I'm asking.

If it was just about money at GSO jetstream would have all the contracts. You talk about past stations closing but you failed to realize the situation New Delta is having to deal with now.

What exactly am I "failing to realize?"

Since, this merger was approved now they have all eyes on them to see if it fails.

Outsourcing is not the answer it always seems to be, if that's what you're implying here.

Dgs has been in Gso for awhile and it has alot of friends in corporate that will overlook a slightly higher bid than Pinnacle and Jetstream. As I said before, everyone will find out about the decision at the beginning of the month. I would love to see just regular Delta employees but that wave has gone.

It's never too late to turn the tide.

Does he/she? I don't know; I'm asking.

I hope he does have friends in corporate and not just winking at me.

What exactly am I "failing to realize?"
Its very important that new delta have a good showing in a already decreasing percentage of revenue passengers coming through GSO. Delta cant afford to have damage planes, high loss of luggage(which pinnacle employees are now getting under great control), and delayed flts because of slow rampers.

Outsourcing is not the answer it always seems to be, if that's what you're implying here.
I would rather see Delta close DGS and rehire the workers with good records to Delta. Just keep the same pay scale if you work only on the ramp. Most people just want to fly.

It's never too late to turn the tide.
To me it seems like Dgs is putting alot of emphasis on finishing the year withoDut damage or oji's'. I think if Dgs keeps the contract; it will be because of the reputation and being the #2 station in the system. We all know that Jetstream under bids everyone. Pinnacle will be under biding as well. Dgs @ Gso has been under bidded everytime the contract has came up, but they still get the contract. So, performance (and who mgmt might know in Corp) could have a higher % of who gets the job. If you ask me; I say Dgs should keep the contract. Dgs at Gso has shown a good profit for delta. When you talk to people around Ptia(GSO). Dgs is consider the top 1 or 2 on the ramp for preformance. Pinnacle and jetstream has been consider the worst.

My gut feeling after listening to some people in corporate and from Pinnacle is that Dgs will lose the contract. Thats just my gut feeling but I hope I am wrong. Its all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$!

I would rather see Delta close DGS and rehire the workers with good records to Delta. Just keep the same pay scale if you work only on the ramp. Most people just want to fly.

Let me ask a stupid question?
Why did Delta start their own ground handling company in the first place? Why didn't they keep the mainline employees for the mid-sized stations and just have part-timers (with full benefits and seniority) to do smaller number of flights if it came to that? (IMHO - I think that would be the best way to go about it. A lot of people would like to work part time in some situations)

Why do they also have a "ready reserve" program? Makes no sense to me to have "temp employees" if they know that they have no chance to move up in the company.

And how many actual "mainline stations" do DL have anyway, besides the obvious? I know that they will have 40 with the NW stations coming in.

I pretty much know the reasons :rolleyes: But I wanted to hear it from someone who knows. Working in a hub, I don't know a lot about the life in an outstation, except talking to some of the people I meet when I fly.

Good luck with the merger and I hope that things will work out for all involved.

It all boils down to money..I've been on the ramp with AA for over 20yrs and i've seen a lot of stations outsourced. We had a V.P. tell us that it's not really the wage per say that costs the company'it's all the other things that add up.

He said:

Uniforms
Lockers
Rent on breakroom, etc.. facilities
Employee parking permits
Ground equipment and fuel /mx for it
And the obivious cost of medical and other benefits.
And the list go's on and on.

These are costs that the vendor is now responsible for.

We drilled this guy on everything' like the high turnover rate and A/C damage these vendors have. He said "so what"? AA still has 30yr rampers who still hit planes and cause damage. It's all about money!!

It all boils down to money..I've been on the ramp with AA for over 20yrs and i've seen a lot of stations outsourced. We had a V.P. tell us that it's not really the wage per say that costs the company'it's all the other things that add up.

He said:

Uniforms
Lockers
Rent on breakroom, etc.. facilities
Employee parking permits
Ground equipment and fuel /mx for it
And the obivious cost of medical and other benefits.
And the list go's on and on.

These are costs that the vendor is now responsible for.

We drilled this guy on everything' like the high turnover rate and A/C damage these vendors have. He said "so what"? AA still has 30yr rampers who still hit planes and cause damage. It's all about money!!
Sad but true. You and others with that many years of service may be the last bunch of airline employees to earn a decent long term living in that job. The job will be obsolete soon, as well as mechanic jobs.

Sad but true. You and others with that many years of service may be the last bunch of airline employees to earn a decent long term living in that job. The job will be obsolete soon, as well as mechanic jobs.
How many mainline AA mainline stations have been outsourced only to go back to mainline? (If any?)
Speaking of Pinnacle, DGS, Jetstream...when are the contract announcements supposed to be made?

How many mainline AA mainline stations have been outsourced only to go back to mainline? (If any?)
Speaking of Pinnacle, DGS, Jetstream...when are the contract announcements supposed to be made?

There are none as of now. There have been a few in the past such as RNO and PDX that were outsourced' then re-staffed with mainline employees after the Reno Air purchase' but those two are now outsourced again. At AA' we need 15-20 average mainline jets a day to have mainline/union rampers. Our last station to get staffed was FLL in 2001. We just lost CMH a few months ago. AA is now using American Eagle employees in outsourced cities even if Eagle doesn't fly there. This way they can pay a low wage and have control over the employees since their AMR employees...vs the vendors who they have no control over the kids they hire.

Its hard to hear that some of you will probably be out of work soon, Maybe including myself. Its even harder for me to read on as I'm a Vendor employee down in MIA....I wish that the airlines would be strong enough to keep their workers and then maybe I would go and work for them direct....Not to thrilled about being a VENDOR..(scap almost) but the reason in don’t go and work for any ARLINE is because I have seen what cost cuts can do, especially now days....

Right NOW in working with the NWA contract in MIA, Word is NW will turn over as early as FEB09. Our company is Bidding for DELTA against others like, Swissport, Evergreen and COMAir. Not sure what will happen here, Com0Air is part of DELTA do it makes sense to keep the ground work within the Company but again, now days you just don’t know????

Well whatever happens.....I will try to stay in the Airline Industry somehow... Its what WE are good at and I can’t picture myself doing anything else.........GOOD LUCK TO ALL>>>>

I hate to hear that. Most of us are in the same boat. Our station is up for bid (below wing).

The cities around us were all awarded to Comair...AVL, CHA and FWA. Comair =3, Pinnacle (et al) = 0

More to come, I'm sure.

If DL was going to award all the ground handling at ALL of the stations out to Comair, why did they even bother with the bidding process?? I read on another thread somewhere that the 'inside story' was Comair was told that no matter who bids on the ramp work, Comair is going to get it. What a bunch of bull!
:angry: :angry: :angry:

Anyone know of anymore stations that the ramp bid was announced? We're supposed to know something by 4 Feb, although we all know who DL is going to award the bid to...Co..ugh..mair...ugh

We have GOOD relantionship w/ the DL Station Manager in our station, but that wont matter when the BID is final... We have to pay alot higher living wage then ComAirs' pay their employees.. We PAY $12.95 w/out benefits and ComAir Starts at $9.35 w/ benefits, Not sure what that adds up in dollar$ and cents but all we can do is wait and see. My opinion is that Comair will keep it. They have been providing the service for some time know, why change it. Even do, In my opinion, They SUCK. Sloppy work...

Hope to hear soemthing soon. Everyone here is on the edge wating for some news, Somone already knows but they are not saying much....

.I wish that the airlines would be strong enough to keep their workers and then maybe I would go and work for them direct....Not to thrilled about being a VENDOR..(scap almost) but the reason in don’t go and work for any ARLINE is because I have seen what cost cuts can do, especially now days....

Do you not see the role vendors-and employees that are willing to work for them- play in that?

Right NOW in working with the NWA contract in MIA, Word is NW will turn over as early as FEB09. Our company is Bidding for DELTA against others like, Swissport, Evergreen and COMAir. Not sure what will happen here, Com0Air is part of DELTA do it makes sense to keep the ground work within the Company but again, now days you just don’t know????

Well whatever happens.....I will try to stay in the Airline Industry somehow... Its what WE are good at and I can’t picture myself doing anything else.........GOOD LUCK TO ALL>>>>

If not mainline, then "keeping it in the family" is absolutely the next best option.

If DL was going to award all the ground handling at ALL of the stations out to Comair, why did they even bother with the bidding process?? I read on another thread somewhere that the 'inside story' was Comair was told that no matter who bids on the ramp work, Comair is going to get it. What a bunch of bull!

I haven't heard anything close to that, though in my station (NW mainline) the plan is to take over Comair's operation.

Even do, In my opinion, They SUCK. Sloppy work...

I have actually heard the same thing multiple times about the NWA vendor operation in MIA...

Do you not see the role vendors-and employees that are willing to work for them- play in that?

If not mainline, then "keeping it in the family" is absolutely the next best option.

I haven't heard anything close to that, though in my station (NW mainline) the plan is to take over Comair's operation.

I have actually heard the same thing multiple times about the NWA vendor operation in MIA...
Much nicer than I wanted to put it. Way to build that bridge and spread that DL love.

1st time poster. Long time reader. My question is what's going to happen at ORD? Aramark ground handles Delta Air Lines and Northwest has their own employees. Word on the street at ORD is that Delta is moving to the E concourse at terminal 2. So is Northwest taking over the combined operation?

Back