INDY HUB

Re-establishing a hub in IND would only hasten LCC's next Chapter 11 filing.

It ain't gonna happen. Not a chance.

Just curious, is your son's wife cousin the one that hangs out at the Seashell Lounge in Moon Township that orders 2 Icy Lights at a time because they don't want to go dry? :lol:

An Icy Light? Where youns from?

ic_light.jpg

IND: The Rumor That Will Not Die.

Re-establishing a hub in IND would only hasten LCC's next Chapter 11 filing.

It ain't gonna happen. Not a chance.
I think your wrong sir,To stay with maintence in philly and pit and Charlotte is the mistake.The employees are all disgrunted,well a good portion are,and the orginating coustomers were higher from Indy than in Charlotte.The housing cost in Ftlauderdale are twice that of Indy.Soon ftlauderdale will be like Boston , Usairways wont be able to get any employees to move work there because people cant afford it on the wages they pay.Not a chance that maintence will stay in Ftlauderdale.we can see that there pulling out of Pitt and philly should be reduced to whatever is cost effective ,but Large International flights and domestic opperations on a large scale would be more cost effective from Indy because of there cost of living and there central location.There open for expansion
and not super congested like the cities in the east.We will see where they go too.They should have never left that location....I wonder why united built the largest hanger in the country there?...or Fedex has a huge new hub there?...The fact that United has a couple thousand layed off mechanics there and usairways has 250...tells me that labor cost will be the lowest in the country..plus the fact that they would mostly be new hires at a reduced rate
do the math...if I was the Usairways Id be thinking of how maybe 200 mechanics would move there and that usair could hire the additional 700 mechanics at a 15 dollar an hour pay for the first 5 years do to them being new hires...and youll quickly see that it would be a great move from the companys position...contrary to what you said about a route back to bank ruptcy....i see it as a great move to further the companys future toward lower labor cost and to get away from disgrunted workforce.Your thoughts.....

What quality of mechanic do you think you'd get for 15/hr?
SIR
i DO NOT THINK 15 DOLLARS A HOUR IS NEAR ENOUGH FOR WHAT WE DO.I THINK WE SHOULD ALL BE PAID 35 AN HOUR.But as far as the company is concerned thats what they would want to pay wich is terrible indeed, and i was repyling to a message as to why usair would want to move to Indy, not what I think the mechanics should be paid.Ive been lowered to 24 an hour with insurance costing me 296 per month, and it has been a terrible thing to go that far backwards for me and my family.The fact that i sighn a logbook almost everynight for airworthy condition is a lot of resonsiblity that a truck mechanic doesnt have to do and it certainly is worth more than 24 an hour when a truck mechanic is making the same money.A jet is more complicated by far and we have at least a thousand people a day who ride on the jets we inspect and work on everyday.To me it is a total outrage that we have been taken back to the same money i made in 1988 and that everything else has went up at least 30%...so im very upset at the rates of pay at 24 let alone 15 for a new hire.Im just saying what the company is thinking when I said that they would be money ahead to move to Indy.so that everyone would see why I thought they would do just that.So i hope you can see why I thought it would make sense to the new lcc to do just that.If I had it my way we all would be paid what we are worth 35 an hour with a pension.Like fedex ups southwest amr, But the company is concerned with getting the most from there dollars and moving to Indy with new hires working is where I think they will go to improve there finacial bottom line.
Your thoughts...?

The workforce will move where the jobs are. PS, Indy's cost of living is more than Pittsburgh AND Charlotte (according to homefair.com)
You must be crazy if you think Indy is more expensive than charlotte or Pitt...Gas is 2.04
housing is 139000 for a 4 bedroom new house 1850 sqaure ft.
pwr is cheaper as are taxes,plates and personal property and income taxes.Its across the board.You better check a another source.Its a lot less congested less traffic great schools.Less crime, and a lot more corn and beans, wich makes for great deer hunting.Its not heaven but its better than the congested city traffic of charlotte and the pollution of Pitt and Philly.

BTW I ran into HER again......she could Barely stand up, muttered something about a St. Louis hub too :lol:
Ill have one of your Icc lights..stlouis...sounds like a bad rumor.

SIR
i DO NOT THINK 15 DOLLARS A HOUR IS NEAR ENOUGH FOR WHAT WE DO.I THINK WE SHOULD ALL BE PAID 35 AN HOUR.......Your thoughts...?

I completely agree that AMT pay should be comensurate with their responsibilities. You'll get no argument from me there.

As for what HP/US will do? Good question. I honestly have no idea, but the "armchair quarterback" in me says they'll keep utilizing the facilities they already have in CLT & PHX.

I think your wrong sir,To stay with maintence in philly and pit and Charlotte is the mistake.

Maybe I am. But count on it - no way is Doug Parker gonna throw away the current nest egg trying to build a hub in Indy. And I really don't think mechanics (their pay, their availability, their standard of living, etc) figure into the equation at all. An IND hub would be a money-loser - simply not enough O&D to make it work. Much smaller market than even PIT, and US has basically given up on PIT.

Don't really care whether CLT or PIT or IND has the lowest cost of living - it just doesn't matter.

Look for LCC to keep reducing its in-house maintenance staff, not add to it. The former UAL maintenance base at IND will probably house a large third party maintenance operation for many years to come, but it's not gonna be staffed with anyone employed by USAir. Count on that.

Repetez apres moi:

I wish x because its good for me.

I recommend x because it makes good business sense.

Use them in proper context in order to clearly express your meaning, so that we have fewer threads with posters talking past each other for weeks.

FYI - Toothpaste was invented in Indiana and is still made there. The Colgate factory and HUGE neon sign are still visible from I-65 when coming north from Kentucky.

The former United facility is not completely full. It is at the moment just over half-full or just shy of half-empty depending on your take. It seems likely that witin the year there will be some additional hangar space available when ATA moves all of their operations (if they are still around) to MDW.

The new mid-field terminal project includes a seperate headquarters and maintenance facility for Republic / CHQ. They had threatened to move everything to CMH. The airport authority worked with Republic to keep them here and to aid them in expanding. So, if US was honestly looking to locate in Indy, the airport authority wouldn't exactly shoo them away.

The cost of living is Indy is far less than in any of the current hubs for US (gas prices, food, school costs, housing - all much below CLT or PHX), but that has never in the past meant anything to decision makers. The workforce here has also never really been a factor. You can use the IND REZ center as a good example. It was the most productive (more calls, less sick time, more bookings) than the other centers at the time. It was still closed though because of the high seniority (some rez agents with 30+ years). That however is harking on the past.

It would be great to see a midwest hub again, but very unlikely in the current situation.