Is It Worth The $$$$ For A Type?

Hurry-n-wait

Jan 17, 2004
:huh: Is it worth to pay for a type rating? I am get conflicting views on this.

I am 40 yrs old @ 1405TT;PIC= 1190;Turb= 283; MEL=331; Inst.=642; Instrument (act. / sim.): 180 (73 hrs / 106 hrs). I've sent my resume to the Regionals who don't require a bag of cash to pay sending my application in.

I have Regioanl Airline Academy on the phone saying it would get me in the door for an interveiw but what I've been hearing in the forums is I need to know somebody to get the interview. I am likable person wife has been w/ me 17 years. If I can just get past the front door at least I'll get the chance. It's the people over me in quals and under me getting the calls and letters that is causing the hair loss. :shock: If you are in my age range and can offer valuable assitance please respond.

No, Save your money. You do not need a type rating to get into a regional - what you need is for someone to walk in your resume. Right now, the regionals have more applications than they know what to do with - I was told that ASA has several thousand on file. Likewise, the "competite mins" at Comair are several thousand hours of turbine time. Its not a good time to be an airline pilot and the future is not promising - I myself am looking at different options.

Hurry-n-wait said:
:huh: Is it worth to pay for a type rating? I am get conflicting views on this.

I am 40 yrs old @ 1405TT;PIC= 1190;Turb= 283; MEL=331; Inst.=642; Instrument (act. / sim.): 180 (73 hrs / 106 hrs). I've sent my resume to the Regionals who don't require a bag of cash to pay sending my application in.

I have Regioanl Airline Academy on the phone saying it would get me in the door for an interveiw but what I've been hearing in the forums is I need to know somebody to get the interview. I am likable person wife has been w/ me 17 years. If I can just get past the front door at least I'll get the chance. It's the people over me in quals and under me getting the calls and letters that is causing the hair loss. :shock: If you are in my age range and can offer valuable assitance please respond.
Are you retired military? Blow off aviation and enjoy life. Go to work at WALMART. They are opening over 300 stores this year. It is a much better future than aviation. Good luck!