Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
No more USAir for me to PHL! Looks like now every route USAir M/L serves from BOS has competion from B6 if you consider EWR/JFK the same market as LGA. Non-union jetBlue for me next time I go to Philadelphia (hopefully no time soon)

- Five daily nonstop flights between Boston and Philadelphia set to begin in May 2013-
- Starting today and until December 14, flights on sale for as low as $17.76, for travel between May 28, 2013 and June 19, 2013 (a) -

PHILADELPHIA, Dec. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --JetBlue Airways (Nasdaq: JBLU) today announces the launch of nonstop service between Boston's Logan International Airport (BOS) and Philadelphia International Airport (PHL). Five daily flights will begin on May 23, 2013 with low fares and an ideal schedule for the business traveler. To celebrate its 78[sup]th[/sup] city, the airline has launched a special $17.76 independence fare, for travel between May 28 and June 19, 2013, to please all clam chowder and cheesesteak fans alike (a).

http://investor.jetb...7030&highlight=

Southwest started this route a few years back but ended the service in February. I wonder how USAir will respond.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
All well and fine until they bail out as did SWA and several others. If SWA couldn't make a go of it, don't look for much more out of B6.

JetBlue will get crushed by US on this route . Wtf are they thinking ? And Josh , trust me . We won't miss ya ..

Reactions: 6 people
JetBlue will get crushed by US on this route . Wtf are they thinking ? And Josh , trust me . We won't miss ya ..

Still plan on flying Shuttle to DCA, its more convenient for me than jetBlue and they have more flights. Our company likes us to fly Shuttle for some reason, but I usually override it and book jetBlue anyway.

Guess you didn't see B6 chased USAir off the BOS-Caribbean flying a few years ago did you? They successfully drove AA out of BOS-Caribbean flying, including SJU a route AA once flew several daily 763 and AB6.

Josh

Still plan on flying Shuttle to DCA, its more convenient for me than jetBlue and they have more flights. Our company likes us to fly Shuttle for some reason, but I usually override it and book jetBlue anyway.

Guess you didn't see B6 chased USAir off the BOS-Caribbean flying a few years ago did you? They successfully drove AA out of BOS-Caribbean flying, including SJU a route AA once flew several daily 763 and AB6.

Josh
And your a Dick so who cares ?

Reactions: 3 people
i dont remember us doing any carribean runs out of bos and i worked there from june 99 to june00 and i know we had metrojet back then bec i workd them and 1 757 and then the second half i workd the shuttle strictly

AUA-MBJ-PUJ-SJU BDA & CUN too !
Heres a few facts for you Robbed....

• US Airways carried a total of 17,326 passengers from PUJ to BOS in 2009. The smallest aircraft servicing flights from PUJ to BOS for US Airways is the A319 built by Airbus Industrie with 124 seats

I think CUN still exists with Saturday seasonal service but the rest is all gone. Of course jetBlue operates daily CUN flights and DL has seasonal service as well on a 73H/757.

Josh

i thought they did away with those flights during the 2nd ch11 unless they kept those. its been a long time since i read about the bos to carribbean runs thanks hope if you have more please post it so i can see thanks bos cun still around even if its sat only? i know its done to phl and clt possibly phx too but not sure

The reason why BOS-PHL is attractive is because US has a near monopoly on the route and gets average fares considerably higher than on BOS-DCA, a route that B6 has successfully penetrated and gets average fares about 85% of what US gets. Notably, US' average fares on BOS-DCA are about 60% of what they are on BOS-PHL, a shorter route.

B6's CASM is lower than WN's so just because WN couldn't make it w/ larger aircraft doesn't mean B6 can't make it work. Also, B6 has a far larger hub at BOS than WN had at either end when it operated the route.

There have been a number of carriers that have tried to compete with US on BOS-PHL without success but B6 is probably the best positioned of any large US carrier to make it work. But there should be no expectation that US will roll over and play dead. This is one of their last high fare shorthaul large monopoly markets in the NE and they shouldn't be expected to walk away from it w/o a fight.

And notably, PHL is a tough market to fit into B6's network any other way so this is their best chance of serving PHL, even if it means a backhaul to many destinations.

SWA was a pretty decent size in PHL when they took on this route. They have cut back significany in the last year, with the BOS service being a part of it.

WN was never as big at either end of BOS-PHL as B6 is today.... and WN had to pull BOS-PHL down because so many other routes didn't work after they pulled down PHL.

Even though US has a large amount of local traffic on the route, they still are dependent on connections to help keep capacity in the market which helps them provide the frequency that keeps them as the choice among business travelers who look first to high frequency schedules.

That is the same principle, BTW, that DL is using to build LGA... and they said on their investor's call that they are carrying about 20% connecting traffic over LGA.... far less than over other hubs but enough to justify an additional frequency in alot of markets which allows them to offer more flights.

US hasn't said what the slot deal did for them at DCA - or I haven't heard - but that is the same principle they are seeking and are using in other hubs, just as hub carriers do.

Even low cost carriers have a hard time moving frequent travelers if they can't offer some level of flights comparable to the high cost (relatively) hub carrier.

Add in that B6 is connecting passengers "in the wrong direction" from PHL and they may get their foot in the door but they are not likely to be a large presence in PHL just because of the geography of their network.

structural advantage over B6 goes to US

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.