Jfk-bru Service

I Imagine it will be the same as when we went codeshare with SwissAir.
It is good business for both of us and hopefully NOW we will keep our commitment to BRU. Personally I think it is great.

upsilon said:
twasilverbullet, " I wrote above, "Flemish is a dialect of the Dutch language ....". You responded with "I must disagree with you. Flemish is not a dialect; it is a regional variety of Dutch.

You make my case! My desk Merriam-Webster's leading definition of "dialect" is "a regional variety of language distinguished by features of vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation...". Others dictionaries add the phrases "local" and "provincial".

I'm not a Dutch speaker; but I have enough reading ability in the language to translate your last post (in Dutch) to a backhanded and gratuitous suggestion that I follow your example of not discussing what I know nothing about.

Since your only quibble about my lengthy post on the historical basis for the three languages of Belgium is my use of the English word "dialect" to describe Flemish, I respectively and politely suggest you follow your own advice. :)

Otherwise, Best Wishes

Y
touchy!..... are we! :lol:

and I thought I was being polite!!!....go figure!

again, Flemish is not a dialect!

end of story!!!

No more mincing words:

upsilon says: "Flemish is a dialect of the Dutch language"

twasilverbullet says "Flemish is not a dialect; it is a regional variety of Dutch"

Merriam-Webster defines "dialect as "a regional variety of language distinguished by features of vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation...".

twasilverbullet responds "again, Flemish is not a dialect!

twasilverbullet adds "end of story!!!"

Well, it should be the end of the diversion of this thread about the future of the JFK-BRU flights. I have initiated a new thread based on the AA-SN news I posted above.

But obviously, it is not going to be the "end of story" for twasilverbullet because he obviously always has to get in the "last word" - even when it is wrong.

I think I see a pattern of posting syles and language I have seen before. Time will tell.

I have to agree with Silver Bullet on the language/dialect issue. To call Flemish a dialect of "Dutch" is like calling Cuban Spanish a dialect of Puerto Rican Spanish. In reality Flemish and Dutch are variants of the language which the Dutch call Dutch and the Flemish call Flemish. The dictionary definition cited here would not be accepted by a linguist.

The Britannica has a more scientific explanation:

Netherlandic is the national language of The Netherlands and one of the two national languages (besides French) of Belgium. Popular English usage applies the term Dutch to the Netherlandic of Holland and the term Flemish to the Netherlandic of Belgium, but in fact they are one and the same standard language.

MK

Kirk, I see what you mean. Its like saying American English is a dialect of British English; or that the many, many different "Southern" accents are dialects.

But I was careful to say above that it was an English dictionary definition of dialect that referred to "regions", etc. Maybe it is the only single English word that can inadequately cover the "variations" between Flemish and Dutch.

I have read on the English web pages of many Belgium travel sites that the spoken Flemish is a dialect of Dutch. My English speaking friends from Flanders use dialect to differentiate – but of course speaking in English.

I went off on this thread (JFK-BRU) about the history of the language differences because I’m a history buff, and also a student of the derivation of American accents. I firmly believe that the “contribution†of the Dutch to the accents in the former Nieuw Amsterdam region is obvious. The Dutch that left Manhattan (and Harlem) joined the Dutch farmers in Brooklyn. Others moved over to New Jersey, where the Dutch colony continued until the 1660’s. This is the basis for the “D'ems†and “D'os†for “Thems†and “Thoseâ€, as in “Dem Bumsâ€. Just listen to Dutch vocalists like Rita Reijs (Reys) singing American song lyrics and you will frequently hear “de†instead of “theâ€.

BTW, there is a new book "The Island At The Center Of The World - The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and the Forgotten Colony That Shaped Americaâ€. I have ordered a copy and look forward to reading it.

But to return to your point, I quickly came up with the following websites that seem to back up what you say about the common origin and the difference between Dutch and Flemish; but also use the controversial word "dialectâ€

http://www.theotherside.co.uk/tm-heritage/...nd/language.htm

http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/F/FlemishL1an.asp

http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/D/Dutchlan.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org

I hope one day I have the pleasure of flying with you

Best Wishes,

Y

I've bookmarked your sites and will check them out later but now I have to be at work by 6am.

I share your fascination with languages, and agree that the word "dialect" evokes a lot of emotion, especially when national borders cross through language areas. A somewhat similar situation arises with the Catalans of Spain and France, who are very touchy about people calling their language, with its own parallel development, history and literature, a "dialect" of Spanish.

MK

Latest posts