Laura Glading

Status
Not open for further replies.
FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:
If I was an AA FA, i might be happy that my union is going to hire an independent person to investigate/determine if the former union pres did anything inappropirate while in office leading to a reward from the company.

However, I get the feeling that Marcus Gluth has already made up his mind regardless of what the investigation shows.
Bingo!  Marcus and all the twisted knickers posters on here.

Be Careful What You Wish For. said:
JIMNTX said:

"All of this Laura bashing is nothing more than a manifestation of American society today.  Nothing bad that happens to me is my fault."

You are naive and you are a fool.

"I am writing to you this evening to inform you of a disgusting betrayal. Late yesterday, I confirmed with American Airlines Management that the Company has hired Laura Glading as a consultant. This is the ultimate display of disloyalty from a former APFA National President. I am sure that I speak for many of us when I express my complete outrage and disgust.'
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.  Matthew 5:22  (Just sayin'.)

Irony at its best.

You all pushed her out, you didnt listen to her about the consequences of a NO vote and lost money.

Now that she is out at APFA and retired, you all have the nerve to complain that she will be a consultant on lobbying.

Unless you all pay her bills, you have no room to talk.

700UW said:
Irony at its best.

You all pushed her out, you didnt listen to her about the consequences of a NO vote and lost money.

Now that she is out at APFA and retired, you all have the nerve to complain that she will be a consultant on lobbying.

Couldn't have said it better.

700W!  What an outrage.  You are suggesting that the bitchers take responsibility for thier own actions  This is not about them.  This is about Laura.  (Who, if she took an overdose and killed herself, would start a firestorm over she should have used a gun.)  So, let's be clear, it doesn't matter what Laura does or doesn't do.  It's wrong.

I guess the folks in the union don't realize they work for AA as well - the statements above sound like the FAs think they work for the union not the airline

Let's see she is working for AA and not working with the FA Union in her role - so what is the problem

700UW said:
Irony at its best.

Exactly.

And if it turns out that she somehow "betrays" the APFA membership, we'll all know about it ASAP.

700UW said:
Irony at its best.

You don't understand. By taking this consulting position with AA, the angry birds don't get their pound of flesh. They don't get to place her in the stocks and throw vegetables at her.

They wanted her back among the ranks serving passengers so that when they ran into her they could laugh at and harass her. They're not getting what THEY want.

LG as a lobbying consultant will be beneficial to both the Company and (gasp) yes the FA's too. Many causes that the airlines lobby for on Capital Hill are also our own causes. Too bad we work with so many numnuts who can't grasp that reality.

Congratulations and good luck to LG.

The rock throwers will always have and find rocks to throw.

First off not listening to Glading was not a mistake. The members knew that they would not get the raise right away. It was a consequence. The only money the FA members lost by voting down the TA and having it imposed later was due to the timing the raises went in to effect. The problem was the signing of an LOA that restricted the time frame to negotiate. The APFA members are angry with their union leader engineering the LOA, giving away profit sharing, and agreeing with Parker's dishonest approach of how a fixed wage is worth more than DL + PS.

jimntx said:
 This is just Laura bashing plain and simple.

Jim, I agree.  The whole thing was a witch hunt, and now that she's been run out of town, they still want to chase after her.  Leave her alone.  She isn't the cause of any problems we may have, if in fact we actually have any.

MK

Overspeed said:
The APFA members are angry with their union leader engineering the LOA, giving away profit sharing, and agreeing with Parker's dishonest approach of how a fixed wage is worth more than DL + PS.

Well, okay, but everything has a price.

Whereas 3-4 years ago all of this hatred and vitriol - here and elsewhere - was directed at Tom Horton, it's fairly obvious why Laura Glading (along with, lest we forget, the leaders of most of AA's other major unions) got the message loud and clear that the rank and file's priority was getting rid of the management team they hated and securing higher compensation than the 1113 term sheets (which was ultimately facilitated by the merger).  And ... lo and behold ... that is exactly what happened.  But contrary to popular belief, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The price to pay for getting the merger done with the speed, and in the manner, with which it ultimately occurred was giving AMR's creditors committee credible visibility into the airline's labor costs post-bankruptcy, and that necessitated agreeing to negotiating protocols (including binding arbitration) in advance.  Could AA's unions have gotten a better deal had they not agreed to those protocols?  Quite possibly.  But that would have been far riskier than it appears today in hindsight, with the merger in the rear-view mirror - because absent those protocols, it is entirely possible if not probable the merger would not have taken place, or would have taken place later and - horror of all horrors! - with Tom Horton at the helm of the combined airline.

Given that in 2012 it appeared that AA's union members - and perhaps its flight attendants most of all - had the dual goals of protecting their contract/compensation and changing management, it seems that the approach pursued by Glading, et al was highly effective and offered the best, balanced set of outcomes on both of these fronts.

Overspeed said:
>> The problem was the signing of an LOA that restricted the time frame to negotiate.

That was actually the smartest thing we could have done.  It ensured we'd end up with a contract and not still be where UA/CO are; still negotiating.  We got a big raise, raises every year for five years, and a lot of important work rule changes.  Plus a clause that gives us more raises if DL and UA get them.  If we hadn't agreed to binding arb, we'd be sitting here with squat.

The only thing that's certain is that no matter what might have happened, or what happens in the future, there will be people who are unhappy.

MK

commavia said:

The price to pay for getting the merger done with the speed, and in the manner, with which it ultimately occurred was giving AMR's creditors committee credible visibility into the airline's labor costs post-bankruptcy, and that necessitated agreeing to negotiating protocols (including binding arbitration) in advance.  Could AA's unions have gotten a better deal had they not agreed to those protocols?  Quite possibly.  But that would have been far riskier than it appears today in hindsight, with the merger in the rear-view mirror - because absent those protocols, it is entirely possible if not probable the merger would not have taken place, or would have taken place later and - horror of all horrors! - with Tom Horton at the helm of the combined airline.

But why is it that the TWU was not also held to a negotiation protocol agreement? I'm sure that it must have also been thrown at them? Did the TWU tell the Company and the secured creditors to pound sand. That they would not accept such an agreement? 

I'm positive that the secured creditors would have still agreed with and pushed for the merger even if one Union group didn't go along with the plan. Again every analyst and experts on capital said that the AA Stand Alone plan was a dud and would have kept the industry destabilized were it to have happened. And even with the oil collapse (Many saw that coming too) they were 100% right.

Tom Hortons' roll was to restructure the airline. I doubt he would have stayed on much longer after that as CEO?

Where the FA's screwed up was when they were able to convince Parker to do away with the 40 hour qualifier (Facebook screamers) that they fought on to try and extract more. They overplayed their hand. And yes they also wanted LG to suffer for her decisions on the ex TWA people.

It's funny how these things play out. People vote in the hardliners, and then want them out cause they're too militant. Then they vote in reasonable people, and want them out because it appears they're too friendly with management. 

You can almost set your watch to this stuff.

Dont forget the IAM was in Section 6 negotiations and the company tried to get the IAM to drop them and go into JCBA.

And the TWU supported the IAM in their Section 6 stand alone negotiations.

Wasnt going to happen and neither would the IAM sign on to binding arbitration.

Kirkpatrick,
The smartest thing we could have done (APA, APFA, and TWU) was tell Parker to get stuffed and risked it alone. We would have still had almost all the existing agreements in place, 15% of pretax profits in profit sharing (which would have more than made up for Dougie's generousity), and the standalone AA would have been in a position to dictate terms to mediocre US if a merger was still a necessity. I would bet that most of the merged AAL's profitability comes from the legacy AA portion, not US. What we have today is a select few got their deals - Glading included - and the workers got the shaft. I hate to say it but an AA run by Horton would have been much more desirable than a Dougie run AA. The difference should be apparent if you fly often. The new AA under Horton was focusing on expanding and improving our premium cabins, the Dougie run AA is Walmart Air (reference Kirby's statement about our competition is Spirit).

Thanks to the APA, APFA, and the TWU snuggling up to Parker and his cronies we are where we are today. The union leaderships' shortsightedness and focus on getting even with the AMR BOD instead of urging caution and a pragmattic approach is costing us daily.

As far as signing the expeditied negotiations agreement, that was part of the merger scam. In order for Dougie to sell it he needed that in place for the creditors. Did it benefit the members because it set a time frame? If you look at it from the perspective of that we would not be in some long process for years yes. But what it really did was complete the shafting from the unholy alliance of Dougie and the unions upon the membership. If anything should unify the membership across all labor groups it is the scam that was perpetrated on the rank and file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back