Layoffs

Thanks Hopeful and you are correct it wasnt meant to be sarcastic. I loved what I did, I truly enjoy serving people. But as I see the level of service constantly being lowered and the people I work with becoming more and more bitter about, the job, the customer the company, why put myself through that.

I am looking at it in a different light. I don't think you will find anyone who made the switch longing to come back. I can look back and really appreciate the times I had, and be happy in the time I have now. There is NO whining or complaining coming from me.

I am looking at it in a different light. I don't think you will find anyone who made the switch longing to come back. I can look back and really appreciate the times I had, and be happy in the time I have now. There is NO whining or complaining coming from me.

Amen to that. I do miss the people and the chaos, but not enough to give up on the emotional peace of mind and financial security gained from leaving...

<_< ------ It would seem, as of late, that there are an increasing number of "exAA" employees on this board. Could it be the start of a trend?------- :rolleyes:

March 6, 2009

To: Airport Services Employees Represented by the TWU

Dear Colleague,

Many of us have been impacted by the economic recession that is affecting nearly every industry and reaching every corner of the world. Whether family members have lost jobs or our own retirement savings have suffered with market swings, no one seems to be immune.

Within the airline industry, the recession has resulted in a serious dent in travel demand. At American, we’re experiencing the lowest advanced booking rates we’ve seen in a long time. Load factors are down by double digits year over year, affected by a decline in both business and leisure travelers. Recent economic forecasts indicate that these challenges will continue throughout the year.

As most responsible companies do, we closely monitor supply and demand. And, as conditions warrant, we make adjustments to find the right balance to support American’s long-term success. One of the areas of focus is always staffing – we need to ensure we have staffing levels that properly support our anticipated level of business. Unfortunately, the current market demand does not require the manning levels that are in place today in many locations. As a result, a Reduction in Force will be needed in some locations, effective May 2, 2009.

To minimize the number of involuntary furloughs, the “Stand-in-Stead†(SIS) option will continue to be available for TWU-represented employees. As a reminder, to be offered a SIS, TWU-represented employees must be in the same classification and status as those positions deemed surplus. The deadline to place your name on the list to be considered for a SIS in time for the upcoming reduction is March 25. Employees can add/delete their name up until this “freeze†date. Once the freeze is effective, there can be no additions or deletions to the list.

To learn more about this option, log onto Jetnet. From the home page, click on the “Policies and Procedures†tab located on the menu bar at the top of the page, and then select “People Reduction Information†from the left side menu. Next, click on “TWU Represented Employees†and then select “Stand-in-Stead.†As a reminder, your manager has the right to limit or deny employee elections based on operational necessity.

Please remember that timelines are extremely critical when applying for SIS. It is important to remove your name from the list in the event you no longer wish to apply for this option.

Note that the Voluntary Bridge to Retirement Program is no longer being offered and no additional VBRs will be granted.

We realize that selecting this option is an important decision. Take the time to make sure you are fully informed before making your decision. When reviewing information, please note that Jetnet contains the most accurate information regarding the voluntary programs. If you believe there are differences between information contained in this letter and on Jetnet, please rely on the Jetnet content.

If you have questions about the programs after reading the information on Jetnet, please call Talent Services at (800) 447-2000 or speak to your manager.

Sincerely,

The same letter was issued for airport agents

WORD HAS IT, THE LAYOFF NUMBERS WILL BE OUT IN THE NEAR FUTURE, THIS IS FROM A VERY REUPTIBLE SOURCE- "BUCKLE YOUR SEAT BELTS", IT IS GOING TO BE A ROUGH RIDE.... :( :(

I guess it will be after the executives get their multi million dollar pups.

AA still hiring at AAcareers.com but laying off 323 Flight attendants. ???????????????????????????

<_< ----- We also had quit a few of our better AMT's go to work for "Kansas City Power and Light". Pay, and benefits, equal to ,or better than AA! And job security!------ I doubt that AA will ever see them again!

Myself and several of my AMT friends have also gone into the oil industry and have not looked back.

Although still at AA, I echo another posters' endorsement for maintenance of ground based facilities as a future career.

One of the biggest problems with the A&P certification is that none of the traditional trades recognizes any of our training for cross certification and licensing into Electrical/Plumbing/Sheet Metal/Carpenters Unions. One could wonder why our AFL-CIO affiliation through the TWU has been soo ineffective in creating that transition: not. In any event, that barrier to exit creates, for many, an insurmountable economic barrier rather than an emotional one.

I've been working another job for over three years now and have been fortunate enough to book a higher hourly rate than what I'm paid at AA. I am now free of being forced into an air carrier geographic existence, meaning I have opportunities outside of where air carrriers perform their own work or ship it to some outside vendor.

I know that everyone cannot work two jobs, and I know that everyone is not willing to take any more time away from their families: but, we are in unusual times and that usually requires both unusual effort and unusual flexibility.

The upside is that cross training and being able to use many of the same skill sets creates a more durable sense of satisfaction while minimizing the downside exposure to the airline industrys' cyclical nature. I can now stay at AA until I reach my goals or leave if the situation becomes untenable and am blessed with a spouse that completely is in phase with the plan.

Restore and more is just a slogan until enough of us create an outside reality that allows us to actually walk away and/or shut it down.

If you are willing to expose your family to the reality of losing your job due to a strike: anything less than picking up a second job you can realistically transition to is a Poker Tell. And, no, my other job is not as a Poker Player or IT guy for games of chance.

I just think AA and the TWU use a tremendous resource base for gauging whether a particular labor group is willing and able to leverage negotiations while negotiating; and, behaviour rather than rhetoric is my opinion of how they determine which squeeky wheel gets greased and which squeeky wheel gets hosed.

Thus far, we only "negotiated" a decent agreement twice during my 20+ years: 1993 extension, five years to top and an extra week of VC; and, 2001 due to AMFA at NWA.

If you choose to stay exclusively in the air carrier industry, stop worrying about furloughs...they will come and go. I'll shut up with two good references: 1) NHBBs said, you being affected is totally dependant on your number: when your number comes up-out the door you go; 2)Bob Crandall said, the airlines are a good place to make a living: they are a horrible long term investment.

We're hearing freight and mail at EWR are getting the axe.

I also hear, from a good source- "SJC" is toast for Fleet Service- Additonally, DFW will have a new bid effective May 23rd, 2009. Layoffs are effective May 2nd, 2009. We should be getting the layoff numbers soon- I guess is this is going to be a big one. Also, an additional 75/ FSC, are being laid off in "SJU". The system will get tighter and tighter- My gut tells me, anybody that hits the street- Won't be back for 3 years....

American Air Surf said:
DFW will have a new bid effective May 23rd, 2009. Layoffs are effective May 2nd, 2009.

Typical AA foresight and planning...create a three week operational disaster with numerous manpower shortages in order to appease the spreadsheet worshipers.

Just once I'd like to have the spreadsheet worshipers come out of the ivory tower and see the havoc their decisions create.

How can we tell passengers with a straight face 'We know why you fly' when they're waiting almost an hour and a half for their bags?

We know the cost of everything and the value of nothing, we're American Airlines. :lol:

Where are the WARN letters? We haven't seen anything in our department at DFW. Then again, we were filling spots until a few weeks ago too.

Facilities Maintenance