LCC my A$$

Boeing4me

Feb 8, 2004
I am simply stunned. I just priced a round tripper from LYH to DEN for next week - more than 7 days out. US is $2400 nonrefundable coach. DL is $1024 nonrefundable coach.

What are the folks in Tempe smoking? Even as a US1 I can't justify that price differential. US is a LCC now? - hardly. For $2400 I get the privilege of buying my own meal in coach. I want to fly US and I dislike flying DL as ATL is a disaster to connect through, but I have no choice.

Thanks for letting me vent.

You have a lot of nerve buddy. How can DP and his entourage take home millions if they don't overcharge you? Fly DL, US doesn't need cheapskates like you.

:up:

You have a lot of nerve buddy. How can DP and his entourage take home millions if they don't overcharge you? Fly DL, US doesn't need cheapskates like you.

:up:

and....

The Comfort Inn is now charging $35/night. Someone has to pay for the first class hotels for the crew!

Are the dates you're flying busy? Just picked a couple of days and it priced out at $821, but not knowing your days in particular could make it different. Are you set on the days or flexible?
Just did some more checking and are curious as to what exactly you were using as your days of travel? I just picked some more days and came up with anything from $556-896 for travel on the 13th outbound. Check again to make sure it wasnt a "website" issue. :shock: Even the FC on most flights is showing around $790. Not close to the $2400 you quoted for a nonrefundable. Must be 1 or 2 seats left of the flights if that is a true price since they offer $385 as the lowest one way I could find in my random search.

I did a search earlier before I responded and saw the $1100+ coach fare each way he was quoting...not sure if it was nonrefundable though. I saw lower fares also, but did see the fare he mentioned at certain times...double connection in some instances too.

Thanks for at least checking us out. Remember, we have on this property what is called a "Doug Parker" surcharge. It is a payment to mangagement based only on supposed "future" business success. The employees have been paying this surcharge since day one. I am really sorry you, our bread and butter, are now also being asked to pony up. I honestly hope you do not, rather do not have to pay this premium. I resent paying it every working day. Best, Greeter.

What part of "Low Cost Carrier" makes you expect low fare in a non-WN market?

From usairways.com (the front page):

US Airways and America West Airlines have merged to offer affordable airline tickets and last minute airfare to destinations all over the world.

Or the fact that the "new" US has been billing itself as "the world's largest low-fare airline" since the merger?

It's Low COST Carrier.

The COMPANY'S COSTS are low because they pay the worst wages/benefits in the industry, give little to zero amenities and still continue to whittle away at the scraps the employees and customers still have.

It's not Low PRICE Carrier.

These are two very different things!

Cool, I used to live in Lynchburg and always flew Piedmont. Sigh... good old days.

Maybe you should try waiting until the last minute. I bought a ticket to HTS (a duopoloy; only US and DL fly there) only one day before departure. $263 one way including tax. The connecting flight is really full, so I don't know what is going on here.

From usairways.com (the front page):
Or the fact that the "new" US has been billing itself as "the world's largest low-fare airline" since the merger?

Check out an Envoy ticket from Rome to Philly. Low fare is arbitrary, still cheaper than Netjets.

Thanks for all of the reply's... Most responses where definitely good for a chuckle after the shock of my pricing adventure last night. Actually, I didn't get hammered and flamed as badly as I thought I would.

This will be a business trip so my dates are firm. I priced LYH to DEN to leave at 6:00AM on Wednesday 15 Nov and the return leg at 3:30PM on Friday 17 Nov. I certainly recognize that the return leg will be a a peak time.

Regardless of peak time or not, the pricing is obscene.

Latest posts