Letter from a pilot

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
The following was posted on another discussion board along with a purported reply from Doug Parker. Because the response is so completely outrageous, I am not posting it since I am not sure that is is authentic. If anyone knows about the reply and if it is indeed from DP, please let us know. The letter from the pilot is worthwhile reading itself ( the name of the writer was in the post on the other board; I've deleted it here).

Dear US Management,

Rather than go into a shell, I thought I could sit down and share with you a list of my concerns about this once fine airline.

I challenge you to try and turn a profit without p*****g off virtually everyone you come in contact with, though most notably, the passengers and the employees. Your total lack of attention this summer to YOUR operation has left this company so low in passenger satisfaction that many feel it is impossible to redeem. Find me a station agent who never fantasized seeing one of our well-compensated management team standing behind a computer, at the customer service counter, right after a line of thunderstorms have moved through Charlotte. Your failure has manifested itself in chronically late flights, lost and mishandled bags, crowded, dirty terminals, a once efficient and proud shuttle operation full of holes, your transition to SHARES, and your crown jewel: a PHL hub that should serve as a primer to any nascent airline management on HOW NOT TO RUN AN AIRLINE (and have left many calling for the return of Crelin).

Where were you this summer? Golfing? Vacationing? Deal-making. Certainly not managing. You see, instead of coming around to the bases to debate with your employees about why they should be happy to be underpaid, you could have seen this summer's debacle forming on the horizon like a storm cloud. Staffing shortages, a useless computer system which prevents you from putting your finger on the true cause of your problems, and finally arrogance--plain old-fashioned, nose up in the air-again. You really could have made a difference, but that would meant that you were really sincere about trying to run an airline, instead of flipping one.

Therein lies the problem. Doing what's right doesn't motivate many any more. The lowest common denominator is money, and consolidation is just a phone call away; running an airline like Bob Crandall or Herb Kelleher is a lot of work, and would require numerous paradigm shifts.

I know you could care less whether you garner my respect and support, and that of my coworkers, but what if that carried a significant dollar advantage? There are people working here who at one time would have given an appendage for the survival of this place. That was before a series of draconian cuts in wages and benefits, and the impression that we do not matter, nor figure into any success story here. Concessions. Huge airline saving concessions, without nary a thanks and a tip of the hat. You can always win over more coworkers by extolling good will, and yet you consistently miss the boat. My kids say I can be a funsucker. Still I hope I never become a hopesucker, and some say hope is seeping out of this place like a knotless balloon. Some of you are so young, so please heed my advice: good will does have a price tag attached, which could be as much or as little as you make it. In a service industry like ours, it can be huge.

Where can you extoll good will? Your handling of the latest rift between the West and East pilots would make Machiavelli blush. What better place to start?

What can you do?

Tell Jerry Glass to go home and torture insects, and with the stroke of a pen, try to unify this pilot group by granting East pilots pay parity with those from the West. Finally, try out the Southwest business model of putting employees ahead of passengers and profits and watch the productivity and profits steadily grow instead of playing both ends against the middle. By treating employees as an expense instead of an asset, you'll never see people play above their game, and consequently you'll always come up short. Build relationships and good will by honoring your word, and letting it be known that middle management should do the same. In other words, become a mensch. Put stock in your good name, and strive to keep your name good. Visit with your troops when s*** hits the fan, instead of just sending out a memo--have you ever pushed a passenger lately in a wheelchair to their gate? Don't make it a photo op. Just do it. Eat the same greasy garbage that the flight crews and agents eat, and eat it with them. Here's where you learn the most: go out with them after work, and listen to what they have to put up with. Then, at the end of the day, when you've walked in their shoes, you'll know a lot more about how to make this a first-class airline instead of a Jay Leno monologue.

We have seen management come and go here, some of them no more than vultures pecking at a corpse. Your actions will determine your own corporate success or failure, and I pray for your good sense and good fortune, since yours is inextricably linked with ours.

Sincerely,

(name deleted by DCMS)
LGA Airbus Captain

Is this a joke? Instead of writing a letter that does little more than come across as a grown man having a temper-tantrum, why doesn't Mr. LGA Bus Captain reduce his compaint(s) to actionable claims? Or perhaps he has no actionable claims and what we're seeing from this letter is an eruption childish frustration as a result of NOTHING going the way his adolescent mind expects. I feel embarassed for his family. What an idiot.

Staffing shortages, a useless computer system which prevents you from putting your finger on the true cause of your problems, What can you do?

Tell Jerry Glass to go home and torture insects, Visit with your troops when s*** hits the fan, instead of just sending out a memo--have you ever pushed a passenger lately in a wheelchair to their gate? Don't make it a photo op. Just do it. Eat the same greasy garbage that the flight crews and agents eat, and eat it with them. Here's where you learn the most: go out with them after work, and listen to what they have to put up with. Then, at the end of the day, when you've walked in their shoes, you'll know a lot more about how to make this a first-class airline instead of a Jay Leno monologue.

Sincerely,

(name deleted by DCMS)
LGA Airbus Captain [/font][/size]
He forgot to add. Lets let management fly our plans ride our jumpseats to observer and help when we are short of pilots and flight attendants and stay in the crews hotels to the see the flight crew’s problems

..... why doesn't Mr. LGA Bus Captain reduce his compaint(s) to actionable claims?

Mr. LGA BC did not? Seems to me he listed quite a few "actionable claims", all pretty damning.

Perhaps, if Parker were not so wrapped up in managing his "image" and portfolio, he might have time for some hands-on management of an airline. :shock:

Jay Brian,

The alleged response from DP or a party designated by him was to accuse this captain of having a breakdown and to suggest he make an appointment with the company psychologist.

While the veracity of that response can't be verified, it is unfortunately consistent with how they handle criticism, especially when it is right on the mark.

Jay Brian,

The alleged response from DP or a party designated by him was to accuse this captain of having a breakdown and to suggest he make an appointment with the company psychologist.

While the veracity of that response can't be verified, it is unfortunately consistent with how they handle criticism, especially when it is right on the mark.

I read the alleged "Parker response" on another forum and I doubt it is really from Parker or even anyone in Tempe. The tip off for me was the suggestion that he see the company psychologist. To the best of my knowledge, there is no "company psychologist" whose job it is is to "see employees with psychological problems." USAirways is in the airline business...well, okay some may debate that based on current performance...but USAirways is not the psychological problem business (although they certainly CAUSE their share of that type of problem.) If an employee needs to see a psychologist, there are medical benefits in place for him/her to see the practitioner of his/her (limited) choice who is NOT in the employ of USAirways or a designated "company psychologist." To me, this comment supposedly by Parker is the smoking gun that proves that Parker is not the writer.

I read the alleged "Parker response" on another forum and I doubt it is really from Parker or even anyone in Tempe. The tip off for me was the suggestion that he see the company psychologist. To the best of my knowledge, there is no "company psychologist" whose job it is is to "see employees with psychological problems."

With all due respect: This statement proves exactly nothing. DP is so out of touch with his employees that it would not surprise me if he just assumed there was a "company psychologist." :( However, I do agree with you that he did not write this.

The tip off for me was the suggestion that he see the company psychologist. To the best of my knowledge, there is no "company psychologist" whose job it is is to "see employees with psychological problems."

Good catch. I tend to believe your interpretation is correct.

nyc,

I agree that there is probably not a company psychologist, and that Parker would not likely issue a response like that. Also, going a step further, one would expect that the pilot in question would have been grounded immediately if someone REALLY thought that he was having a breakdown.

My point, however, was that the alleged response was consistent with Tempe's "anyone's fault but ours" mentality, where they are always making excuses or pointing fingers to cover up their own errors. While I thought the original letter was a little emotional, it was for the most part right on target.

If anyone knows the pilot in questions, I would be curious to know if he is still flying, and I commend him for being brave enough to speak up--for his fellow employees AND customers!

Is this a joke? Instead of writing a letter that does little more than come across as a grown man having a temper-tantrum, why doesn't Mr. LGA Bus Captain reduce his compaint(s) to actionable claims? Or perhaps he has no actionable claims and what we're seeing from this letter is an eruption childish frustration as a result of NOTHING going the way his adolescent mind expects. I feel embarassed for his family. What an idiot.
It's a real big JOKE since A-WEST and their top rate management team are so on the ball with everything!!! He was way to nice in that letter. I feel embarrassed working here now thanks to the morons out West.

We are NOT going to let this one become another East vs. West thread, so stop it now.

Keep on topic please....

What the hell planet do you live on? I feel embarrassed for you!!!! Employees of a REAL airline be damned if they allow this current joke of an airline to continue to run like AW.

...try to unify this pilot group by granting East pilots pay parity with those from the West.

He can't do that because according to the transition agreement:

II. Period of Separate Operations

A. The pilot workforces of America West and US Airways will remain separate and
covered by their respective collective bargaining agreements (the “Separate
Operationsâ€￾) until Operational Pilot Integration
as provided in Section VI. A.

B. During Separate Operations:
1. US Airways Group will operate both America West and US Airways in
accordance with the terms of this Letter of Agreement and the provisions
of each carrier's respective collective bargaining agreement

as signed:

By:______________________________