Loa 91 - Make Or Break It?

700UW said:
A320Driver,

This your new negotiator?
You sure that's not a replacement for Jerry Glass?

That was a good one 700! I needed a good laugh today.

Thanks,

A320 Driver B)

USA320Pilot said:
GECAS and ALPA's advisors indicate the financier wants to reduce their US Airways risk and exposure, but keep the RJ revenue within US Airways Group.
You can't have both.

If Mesa flies the planes, it's fee-for-departure, in which case U's margin on these flights will probably drop to almost nil.

I'm still waiting to hear why GECAS cares if AAA ALPA forces the company to increase the returns associated with this farming out of all future U growth?

GECAS might be nervous, but they are more than happy to help CCY spread fear thru the rank and file of all the unions, particularly ALPA. This was predicted by the PHL and PIT MEC reps before LOA 91 even existed.

Clue:

Clue said: "If Mesa flies the planes, it's fee-for-departure, in which case U's margin on these flights will probably drop to almost nil."

USA320Pilot asks: Clue, how do you know this? What's your background and professional position to make this statement?

From my understanding, the affiliate carrier contract calls for the regional airline to operate the service for cost + a small fee. Thus, US Airways keeps all of the revenue and does not have any aircraft acquisition or operational costs.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
USA320Pilot asks: Clue, how do you know this? What's your background and professional position to make this statement?

I read Mesa's SEC filings. You might consider it sometime--I'd suggest before the E-190 is certificated.

From my understanding, the affiliate carrier contract calls for the regional airline to operate the service for cost + a small fee. Thus, US Airways keeps all of the revenue and does not have any aircraft acquisition or operational costs.

On the flipside, US pays the cost and the fee regardless of the revenue actually sold for the flight and has much less quality and customer sat. control. Further, you can be assured that Mesa is recouping the aircraft acquisition and operational cost in the departure fee. The only "win" from a cost standpoint is the wage differential, which is probably wiped out by the "small fee."

Why do you think AA has not sold off Eagle? Why do you think CO waited until it needed money to pawn CoEX? Why do you think that DL owns ASA and Comair?

UA and US: farm express flying out to "affiliates." Both enjoying Chapter 11 post-9/11.

DL, CO, AA--owned most of their own lift (or, in CO's case, still own a piece of the spinoff). No Chapter 11.

In U's case, it's a union problem--specifically the Jets for Jobs nonesense that is causing most of the problems. The other major factor is the existing desire of the coporate leadership to be a "virtual airline" (and the fact that 51% of the mainline seniority list is more interested in hanging on until retirement than putting the proverbial stop to the "rental airline" insanity).

Clue:

You did not answer my question. In case you missed it I'll ask it again. What's your background and professional position to make this statement?

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

It's been said again and again. The EMB170 is the 175 is the 190 is the 195. They are the SAME TYPE. They go up to 100 seats and can reach the mountain time zone from the east coast.

US Airways flying is short haul around the east coast with 100 or so seat planes, and even thats too big for alot of the markets. The Carribbean, transcon, and transatlantic services are an afterthought, a leftover from when this glorified regional attempted to be a major player.

Its bad enough that an inferior division, MidAtlantic, has been agreed to. Mark my words, once JetBlue gets the 190 management will be crying that they need them too, and they will not put them at mainline. Why would they? It would be like having the A319 at Express and the A320 at mainline. Wherever those 170s go, the 195 goes too. The 170 is already out of the bag at the nations lowest labor costs at MAA, the in-house alter-ego airline. MAA and "mainline express" is the future mainline, just watch as everyone drips down into thier new "classification."
But even that's not good enough, they want to be able to whipsaw and make the employees compete for thier jobs so costs don't get "out of line" (e.g. livable wages) again.

Contracting those planes out is the END of US Airways as anything else but a name, website, paint job, and idea. There will be no place for 279 "mainline" planes to go.

USA320Pilot,
Please explain to us all how in the world you think there will be a job for you after you give permission for any airline but US Airways to do 80% of the flying. I seem to recall you mentioning that pilots have so much more to lose than everyone else, so why would they agree to this? Is there anywhere pilots such as yourself can go once replaced? At the same pay rates? Do you truly believe that if this doesnt pass the airline will shut down? The only way to save the place is to pay other companies to do the flying? Doesnt make sense to me!

USA320Pilot said:
Clue:

You did not answer my question. In case you missed it I'll ask it again. What's your background and professional position to make this statement?

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
You really don't have the right to ask that. Clue can certainly decide for him/herself, however, you cannot demand that of anyone here, period.

USA320Pilot said:
Clue:

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
USA320,

Obviously Clue's professional background (which is none of your business) is that he is educated and investigates before he states his opinions.

THE GUY READS! He has no need for blinders, and has no agenda and no stake. He knows exactly what is going on.

USA320Pilot,

You avoid questions asked of you. So it must be 'ok' for others to do the same.

PITbull, heres a question for ya. Does F/A scope have to go with the pilots? Say they give away the 70+ seat flying, but the F/As demand that everything above 50 seats is flown by the USA seniority list F/As. What happens then? Could the company do that? Like have a flight operated by XYZ Airlines with XYZ pilots but staffed by US F/As just as on the larger planes?

USA320Pilot said:
Clue:

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
I can read. The basic economic proposition surrounding the Mesa lift contracts is in their SEC filings. That, and a collegiate minor in business administration, as if that matters, makes a quick ponder of the long term revenue prospects of a "rental setup" pefectly clear. It does not take a rocket scientist (I'm not) to figure out the politcal motivations of the unions in question.

Questioning what I do for a living is an interesting tactic, however, I'd suggest that the motivation in this case is to distract attention from the core debate. I'll leave it up to the gentle reader to determine whose words and postulations they find more credible or likely. Mine are generally based on either published data or pefectly plausible conclusions reached by considering such data.

Trying to out me won't do a thing towards addressing the positions that I post. That's because I don't rely on my employment information to bolster my positions, absent those revolving around the purchase of travel as my employer buys airfare in relatively large amounts from UAIR.

In short, if you want to question my "expert voice" on this particular topic that's fine: I've never claimed such (and that's the fundamental point here, really). If I were to claim such, I'd expect it to be questioned, particularly if I was trying to pass off my own opinion to be authoritative (I believe this has happened to some posters on this forum more than others).

Cheers.

Back