Luv Into Phl

Posted on Tue, Oct. 28, 2003

Southwest to start Philadelphia flights
By Bob Fernandez and Tom Belden
Inquirer Staff Writers

In a surprise move, Southwest Airlines - the nation's largest discount air carrier - is expected to announce today that it will begin scheduled service at Philadelphia International Airport in May, according to top airport officials.

The entry by Southwest, with initially about 40 daily flights, almost guarantees that airline passengers long in the grip of high fares in Philadelphia will see a sharp fall in the price of flights to cities Southwest serves.

The move also will likely threaten financially ailing US Airways by drawing business from it and forcing it to lower some fares. The airline, one of the region's largest employers, with 5,500 workers, provides service to 58 percent of the passenger traffic here.

City Aviation Director Charles J. Isdell, 53, called the addition of Southwest the biggest change in the airport "in my lifetime," and said it likely would lead to vastly more people in the region flying.

Southwest's fares often attract people who otherwise might drive to their destination or not travel at all, experts say. When Southwest started service from Baltimore a decade ago, for example, passenger traffic went up by 300 percent to 800 percent on routes that had only non-discount service before.

A low-fare strategy has made Southwest - somewhat of a Wal-Mart of the skies - the second-largest airline in the nation, behind Delta, in number of passengers carried and the fifth-largest measured by annual revenue.

City officials plan to hold a news conference today at the airport, where Southwest chairman Herbert D. Kelleher is scheduled to announce Southwest's plans. The airline, however, is not expected to disclose today the routes it will initially fly. Those details are likely to be released in December, airport officials said yesterday.

The announcement is being made in the last days of a contentious mayoral race, and is likely to be touted as an example of Mayor Street's efforts to expand the city's economy. He is in a close reelection campaign against Republican Sam Katz, who has criticized Street as lacking an ability to schmooze with businessmen and bring companies to the city.

Southwest would not comment yesterday on its plans for Philadelphia.

An aggressive push by Southwest into Philadelphia is likely to spell hardship for US Airways, an airline with strong market positions on the East Coast but high costs. US Airways' operating costs per passenger mile flown are 60 percent higher than Southwest's. US Airways also has reported huge financial losses since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, and has eliminated almost one-third of its workforce nationwide.

"We are always concerned about US Airways in terms of their viability," Isdell said. But "even if we did not want [Southwest] to come in, to protect US Airways, we have no legal right to stop them."

Southwest's move comes as a surprise for two reasons.

The airline usually does not try to compete in airports that are entrenched hubs of other major carriers, as Philadelphia's is.

In addition, Kelleher had downplayed the likelihood of the airline coming to Philadelphia in an interview with The Inquirer seven months ago. He said that the airport was congested and that such an addition could throw a wrench in its on-time performance, a source of pride with the airline.

Philadelphia, like many other cities, had made repeated overtures to Southwest, imploring it to start service. But this summer, the Dallas-based company began talking secretly with Philadelphia officials after gates became available in Terminal E, and those negotiations moved quickly, Isdell said yesterday.

Southwest initially will use four gates at the end of Terminal E that had been leased to American Airlines, Isdell said. American relinquished the rights to those gates in 2002, he said. "That's almost a windfall of gate capacity we didn't know we were going to have," he said.

Southwest normally uses each of its airport gates for eight to 10 flights a day, airport chief of staff Jeff Shull said. He said there was a potential to expand the number of gates available to Southwest if the airline needed them.

Using Terminal E will enable Southwest to land one of its 737 jets, unload, board new passengers, and taxi out for takeoff, all in about 30 minutes - its standard flight turnaround at most airports. Terminal E offers the ability to accomplish that because its is near the east end of the airport, where jets usually start their takeoff roll.

Southwest, which started as a Texas intrastate airline in 1971, is highly respected in the airline business because it has perfected a way to keep operating costs low. It uses only one kind of plane, the Boeing 737, which keeps maintenance and crew-training costs down. It serves no meals and has no reserved seats, which are among the reasons it can land and take off again as quickly as it does.

About 80 percent of Southwest's employees are unionized, but it has labor contracts that make them more productive than workers at many other airlines. Ticket agents, for instance, may also load bags. Flight attendants clean aircraft cabins between trips, while other major carriers have other employees or contractors do it.

Kelleher, a native of Haddon Heights and a lawyer by training, said in the interview in April that he considered the foundation of Southwest to be treating employees and customers alike with respect.

"It's the people's airline, you might say," Kelleher said. "That's why we use the signature line 'a symbol of freedom.' We wanted all our people to know that every day... they were doing something that was very important to society, enabling people to fly who otherwise couldn't afford to fly, or fly more often then they otherwise could."

i wonder what Airtran has to say about this. Airtran has been the biggest low-fare carrier in PHL for a while. I wonder if we can expect more of an Airtran buildup before Southwest enters the market.

Wow this is a great shock to me.

Wow...so close to BWI and they thought SFO was a pain with delays? Wait until they get a load of Philly. BUt, it was bound to happen so, lets see how fast we can run way again.

Well, this is the nail that going to seal our coffin shut! Southwest will push us down to Dulles for sure. I believe, Siegel and co-horts knew well in advance of this announcement as they were scrambling to ORD to talk with UA. Well, maybe they will run again from PHL and seek refuge in IAD. Lets hope not!!!

Oliver Twist said:
Maybe, just maybe we will finally take a stand and fight back.
Don't bank on it my friend.

Todays dose of sour groups from Herb will only ferment till friday...it will end up as a Magnum of "Whine" from Siegel on 1-800-CEO-FLOP for all of us to share again this week.

I just wonder if Goverment Cheese comes with this "Whine" this time?

Get a clue Bronner...The jig is up with these clowns. The final nail should have been the failed attempt at breaking the IAM contract via outsourcing the airbus work...how many more failures to adapt can we handle as the 1.43 billion in un-restricted funds trickle away?.

Now instead of Alabama gaining work...and Singapore seeing black ink....We now have our butts in a Singapore Sling as more Airbus Narrow Bodies drop out of use..with NO plan to correct this.

Acft # 3 702UW takes an S-Check dirt-nap tomorrow...even if we do run? it will be with fewer and fewer revenue generating Acft as the days pass.

Is it time for plan C yet????

Well that does it for this furloughed f/o. While anxiously awaiting MDA and all other "cost cutting" and "revenue increasing" measures to save our Airline, this shocking news from WN signals the LCC's (all of them) bullseyes being placed on each and every of our airplanes, to include the new Embraers. This Airline, (US) I'm afraid cannot withstand the pressures of direct competition at our once monopolized Hub(s). Blame Dave or whomever you'd like, the reality is there is no room for a carrier of our makeup anymore. Sad but true, the new Goliaths of this industry are the cancerous LCC's. The flying public, be it your vacationing retirees or your weekly business travelers, care ONLY about fares. These idiots are the same people who will stop on their way to the airport for toothpaste at Wal-Mart, taking 1/2 hour of their time while by-passing the struggling independent drug store anchored at their town's corner for 30 years for a "rollback" savings of 13 cents. And while goofball employees at these LCC's are willing to work for 1/2 the wages and a fraction of the benefits historically available at REAL airlines, the rest of us are simply doomed. A "gracious" thank you to all the pilots, f/a's, mech's etc. willing to work for pennies on the airline dollar to drive the good paying jobs into utter extinction. You jetBlue freaks enjoy the NY rush hour on your next "super productive" commute to JFK anticipating pilot wages below that of my HVAC guy who just cleaned my furnace. Thanks for spreading the cancer. I refuse to submit even a resume to any LCC. Take a stand, go visit your local drugstore, say "hello" to Mrs. Wilson, then jump on WN to philly from SAN for $69; please tip your cabbie well, it will probably be me!

This is not good news for Siegel & Co. As I had mentioned in my post a couple of months ago, Dave needed to come clean with the folks in PA and negotiate in good faith. In my post I mentioned that the PA delegation could bring in LCC's in a heartbeat and they did. While Dave thought he was in the drivers seat of these negotiations, the PA delegation took control of the wheel.

Southwest in philly is going to kill revenue for US.

If I were Dave I would get on a flight today to Harrisburg and finalize a deal with Ed and stop playing all of these games!!!

100 Above,

While I understand your frustration, I am no idiot. The problem is not the passenger--I have said over and over, Southwest type passengers are not the ones the airline should be going for--it's the business traveler who flies just about every week. We are not looking for permanent $69 fares coast to coast, but we're looking for value. That means NOT paying $2000 plus for the same round trip. Let the once a year flyer go to Southwest, but aggressively pursue the core business-the frequent traveler. Regardless of what fares we pay, we still contribute more revenue to the bottom line than Joe and Jill Priceline. And we aren't the ones screaming and threatening agents during irregular ops. Let em go.

Most business travelers will pay a LITTLE more for the added convenience and services provided by traditional carriers, but not 5X or 10X. You're right--the marketplace and the business world has changed, and alot of people aren't going to like it. But if you price realistically and you offer value, customers will stay and you'll get new ones. Unfortunately, CCY doesn't see this, or doesn't want to.

This whole Southwest thing makes no sense--the airport is already overcrowded and this just means yet more ATC delays. It should however bring about rapid change in the fare structure. I just hope the brain trust doesn't use it as another excuse to retreat or pressure the unions more. There are many other ways they can cut costs. either way this is not good news.

And by the way, I don't shop at WalMart, and I shop at my local hardware store, NOT Home Depot.

The customer is not the enemy. Southwest is. Everyone needs to realize that, especially CCY. Now let's go after em!!

ART: How fast would the fares drop and how low could it go by may if swa does come for sure? is it possible that US could get say dulles as a hub and help their code share partner UAL out and let UAL buy US out in a couple of years if they run from PHL after SWA invades?

This is NO SURPRISE!!!!

While US continues to transfer mainline routes to mesa, Passengers continue to look for alternatives.
Southwest resevations must have been bombarded with calls from the greater PHL area looking for flights to MKE, STL,BNA,CLE,MEM, as well as other stations that have been outsourced to RJS.

When will this management admit they have a business plan destined for failure?

unit4clt said:
This is NO SURPRISE!!!!

While US continues to transfer mainline routes to mesa, Passengers continue to look for alternatives.
Southwest resevations must have been bombarded with calls from the greater PHL area looking for flights to MKE, STL,BNA,CLE,MEM, as well as other stations that have been outsourced to RJS.

When will this management admit they have a business plan destined for failure?
Sure, the alternate is to park all the 767s, 757s, A330s, cut the F class service and cut staffing to 3 FAs per plane on all flights.

Does that work for you?

Latest posts