M&E reductions announced

Oh, I don't think they are oblivious, but I do think they don't care. They think that by threatening layoffs and service and facility cuts, that we are all gonna sing, "RAH, RAH and KuMBAYA" to help the company an reward the executives.

NOT!
Whats the downside for the company? By claiming big cutbacks it also allows the company to pressure those places that host the OH bases to come back with a better deal.

The government may not want too much capacity in the hands of too few carriers, but there are very few domestic markets left where there aren't at least three carriers competing. So I wouldn't look for a government backed bailout. The last one (ATSB) had some pretty high hurdles in terms of presenting a viable business case, and not everyone was rubber-stamp approved (e.g. UA). Several of those who were approved did pay back their bonds in whole, just to start failing all over again (e.g. TZ and US). So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for another ATSB style bailout.

If there are speculators willing to put DIP financing into Frontier, whose obituary was pretty much written the day WN moved back into DEN, then there are most likely speculators willing to put money into resurrecting UA and US. Airbus has done that time and time again, as has GE. Both have a lot to lose if UA or US collapses.

I think most carriers acknowledge the morale issue. They're just not going to throw money at the problem (which would be only have short term gain if at all). If history is any indicator, morale is never going to improve as long as the company is losing money, laying people off, and not investing in new equipment.

Everyone loves to point at WN, but morale even there is questionable these days. They're not growing at the same pace they were even five years ago, which means it's taking longer to get to the left seat. Stock has under-performed for several years, which means there aren't as many paper millionaires as there were ten years ago. Whatever halo effect there was from Herb and Colleen's presence is also gone.

Likewise at B6 -- their Obama was banished to starting up a new airline in Brazil, they're selling airplanes and pulling out of markets. It wouldn't surprise me to see a renewed effort to unionize there.

In a rare moment of agreement with Bob, lowering wages isn't going to solve anyone's problems. AA's downsized a lot, yet is carrying a lot of excess capacity in terms of real estate, and is still overstaffed in some areas (management and front line alike).

I'll take the line AMT's word for the fact that they're leaner than they were in 2003. I'm not as convinced that the overhaul hangars and shops have been trimmed back as much as the line has. Closing one or two of the smaller bases does make sense, just as it made sense to trim back on the number of active military bases we had ten and twenty years ago.

Sure, it sucks to be one of the people affected, but there's just no need to have the capacity for a 900 aircraft fleet when have 650 aircraft and plan to reduce that even further.
<_< ------ Oh! I understand that MCI is history! And AA management's bravado about how we were top in productivity, and our work was "World Class", was all B.S.! "You guys are the greatest! But you've got to go!"----- O.K.! Now all I hear is we're cutting capacity. What happened to our MRO program? Or was that all B.S. also?

Latest rumor is AFW is talking to the city to see if they will pony up some cash to keep AFW open. Still hearing MCIE is closing.

Latest rumor is AFW is talking to the city to see if they will pony up some cash to keep AFW open. Still hearing MCIE is closing.
<_< ------ Good Luck AFW!!! They're still not telling us anything! Rumor has it "worse class" down to two docks, our wide body docks, 200 people. Time will tell!

What AA should do is close Tule and then those people could bump afw, as they do not have enough senority to touch Mcie. That I would love to see,.

I will be suprised if 40 plus put in for it, the old guys will either die here or they will close the base...............

Assuming those who are old enough for it can't afford to retire, leaving now could mean the difference between being able to land a decent paying replacement job or being on unemployment.

Better to get off a sinking ship early than to bet on there being enough space in the lifeboats later...

<_< ------ Oh! I understand that MCI is history! And AA management's bravado about how we were top in productivity, and our work was "World Class", was all B.S.! "You guys are the greatest! But you've got to go!"----- O.K.! Now all I hear is we're cutting capacity. What happened to our MRO program? Or was that all B.S. also?
Look on the bright side, it only took you 5 years of posting on this site to realize what we've being telling you since day one; it's all BS. :rolleyes:

Seriously, best of luck with the VBR. <_<

How many are talking about taking the VBR?
Company is going to pay severence even if you havent been back for a year. Thats got a lot of the junior seniority guys over 50 thinking about it. Why not ? The ships goin down and with the the way TWU recall works, and transfer lists, it could take years before somebody at MCI ever found their back in the door if layed off and MCIE closed.

Assuming those who are old enough for it can't afford to retire, leaving now could mean the difference between being able to land a decent paying replacement job or being on unemployment.

Better to get off a sinking ship early than to bet on there being enough space in the lifeboats later...
<_< -----The ones really getting screwed are those who just got recalled about six months ago! They had jobs they quit to come back to work for good old AA!!! Most older farts, like myself, will just retire. Age discrimination is live and well here in K.C.! :down: But, things are strange here! The fab five that were in Israel, checking out 767 cargo door mod., are back in town, and I've heard, will be submitting a bid to do the work the Israelis can't handle. I know it's a long shot, but maybe this place isn't dead after all!

And we gave up how much for how long to "save the jobs"?

Where in the hell is CIO? We need his opinion and a correction about saving 13000 jobs and three maintenance bases with the 2003 without further ratification concession agreement.

<_< -----The ones really getting screwed are those who just got recalled about six months ago! They had jobs they quit to come back to work for good old AA!!! Most older farts, like myself, will just retire. Age discrimination is live and well here in K.C.! :down: But, things are strange here! The fab five that were in Israel, checking out 767 cargo door mod., are back in town, and I've heard, will be submitting a bid to do the work the Israelis can't handle. I know it's a long shot, but maybe this place isn't dead after all!

Good for You! :up:

United did the same thing, many of the recalled are being furloughed 'again'!
I took the early retirement package and been happier than a clam ever since.

Good luck to you all still in the industry! :up:

Take Care,
B) xUAL_TECH

Who are the "...fab five..."?

Good news if you can get that bid landed.

Latest posts

Back