Maa - Republic Sale

Since I've long been on record as saying that my druthers would be that all express flying be in-house, I hope the 170's aren't sold to anyone. I'd druther have less express flying, too, but that doesn't look likely. It sure makes it hard to be a LCC when 1 of every 7 ASM's (and apparently growing) has a CASM of 21.5 cents, as was the case in the second quarter.

It'd be nice to see our MEC take a stronger stand than "it'll have to be worked out" in light of that "certain provision" that US must have ordered the 190's and be unable to take delivery before up to 25 can go to an affiliate.

Sure sounds like the company is assuming that both the 190 & 195 can be flown by affiliates, since that's mentioned in the POR - including the amended POR filed today or yesterday.

Jim

USA320Pilot said:
In my opinion, the Republic pilots may have "shot them self in the foot" and not only could they lose US Airways Express EMB-170 and EMB-190 flying, but EMB-145 flying too.
Regards,
USA320Pilot
[post="286502"][/post]​

I don't think the Republic pilots "shot them self's in the foot". I think they espected this could happen and decided to make a stand. They should be congratulated for being the first regional pilot to step up if you ask me. -Cape

BTW I don't think this means they will lose there 145 flying.

Also, Major rumors in the crew rooms that U is going to get the money they needed (buy selling MDA) buy selling PSA to AWAC. Anyone else here this? -Cape

(sorry if this is old news and has already been discussed)

Capecod said:
Also, Major rumors in the crew rooms that U is going to get the money they needed (buy selling MDA) buy selling PSA to AWAC. Anyone else here this? -Cape

(sorry if this is old news and has already been discussed)
[post="286693"][/post]​

I've heard this rumor on and off... sometimes with Piedmont, sometimes without.

Capecod:

It's not a rumor, PSA and Piedmont could be sold if the right price and agreement can be obtained. It's unclear at this time if this will occur and there is a lot going on regarding the Express world.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

A couple of recent items concerning MDA.....

From AWA ALPA MEC hotline 8/12/05:

"....we see some hope in the area of E170/190 flying and intend to develop a proposal to capture that flying...."

From AWA ALPA negotiating committee update:

"They [the company - Jim] even opened the door for discussion of mainline pilots flying the EMB-190/170 aircraft."

From the CLT Observer's 'Flying Standby' column today:

Airline labor leader says sales deal may not fly

A US Airways labor leader says the airline has told her its deal to sell planes and landing rights for $100 million might not go through, although a spokesman for the airline buying the assets disputed the claim.

Bobbi Riggle, a flight-attendant union leader, said US Airways officials gave her "strong indications" in a recent meeting that the Republic deal would not fly. The deal calls for US Airways to sell the assets to Republic, then lease them back, while gaining precious cash. Some labor groups have objected because the deal could lead to layoffs of several hundred Pittsburgh-based US Airways workers.

But Warren Wilkinson, a Republic spokesman, said he still expects the deal to close by the end of the month. He said it is a complicated transaction and that it "takes time ..."

And one potentially troubling item from the same AWA MEC update above:

"Currently management wants unlimited flexibility in its ability to move aircraft and fly either carrier's airplanes on any route. Clearly we want to give management some flexibility to make this merger work. But management refuses to address our concerns to protect jobs, training protections, and addressing our ideas for harmonizing the economics of the two contracts."

Jim

AIRPORT TO LOSE MORE MECHANIC POSITIONS CHECK OUT WWW.TIMESONLINE.COM TUES. AUG. 16, 2005 <_<

BoeingBoy said:
Bobbi Riggle, a flight-attendant union leader, said US Airways officials gave her "strong indications" in a recent meeting that the Republic deal would not fly.
[post="288697"][/post]​

Hope it's true, but that chick is notorious for getting things wrong.

US Airways has shopped PSA & Piedmont with one potential suitor Air Wisconsin, but the company envisions operating both airlines as subsidiaries, although this could change if the right deal comes along.

Meanwhile, its my understanding when US Airways looked at selling assets last winter, the two top candidates that emerged from the list was MDA and the transatlantic division, but both are now likely to not be sold.

In regard to MDA, I understand whether or not the airline and its assets will be sold/transferred is dependent upon Republic because there is a signed agreement between the parties that Brian Bedford and his company can execute if they desire.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

The IBT that represents the CHQ pilots has come to an agreement with RAH and will send out a ballot to increase the J4J from 32 aircraft to 80 aircraft. 25 of these aircraft may be EMB190s.

The union and MEC is supporting a vote to adopt this increase. MDA pilots will maintain their MDA DOH in regards to pay. Seniority at RAH/CHQ will be based on CHQ/RAH DOH.

RAH is proceeding as if the deal will go through. Pilots are already in training at RAH.

What a load of ####!

What is an "MDA" date of hire? The date the 170s started flying? The date they completed 170 training? Just a makey-uppy date? CHQ/RAH whatever it's called, people keep talking about an MDA date of hire but not one has been able to explain when or what that would be. We're all ears.

Would it be when you first sat in a 170? So a fourteen year captain could be junior to a three year FO because he was under a one year contract at a J4J carrier? Or more senior, meaning furloughed later, meaning coming to the 170 later, would make him junior to someone with 5 years who happened to be on the 170 first? What about F/As who I know are cut out of the deal completely, what would thier "MDA date of hire" be? When they went through recurrent and it included the 170?

There is no MDA to begin with, so when did you "start" with them? You were never hired by anyone but US Airways and have never used anything but that seniority date for everything.

You can't just make things up because you are 16 and want to fly a jet for a hundred dollars a month. What a crock!

We'll see what happens at the arbitration on the 28th.

I really think Bobbi should have kept her mouth shut.

Although we here all know the rumors and hope dearly that they're true, the rest of the world and the media didn't know about them until Bobbi went and talked about it like it's a done deal.

And if US does want to keep MDA, I'm sure they'll try to do something to save face...with this damn management, they'd hate nothing more than being embarrassed by Bobbi (or Teddy, or...well, I guess there's no risk of that with Pollock), making it look like they lost to her...this management is liable to do something stupid just to spite AFA.

I just don't see how any good could have come from her statements.

Light Years said:
What a load of ####!

What is an "MDA" date of hire? The date the 170s started flying? The date they completed 170 training? Just a makey-uppy date? CHQ/RAH whatever it's called, people keep talking about an MDA date of hire but not one has been able to explain when or what that would be. We're all ears.

Would it be when you first sat in a 170? So a fourteen year captain could be junior to a three year FO because he was under a one year contract at a J4J carrier? Or more senior, meaning furloughed later, meaning coming to the 170 later, would make him junior to someone with 5 years who happened to be on the 170 first? What about F/As who I know are cut out of the deal completely, what would thier "MDA date of hire" be? When they went through recurrent and it included the 170?

There is no MDA to begin with, so when did you "start" with them? You were never hired by anyone but US Airways and have never used anything but that seniority date for everything.

You can't just make things up because you are 16 and want to fly a jet for a hundred dollars a month. What a crock!

We'll see what happens at the arbitration on the 28th.
[post="288847"][/post]​

What is the MDA pay based on? Airways DOH or MDA DOH? Some other formula?

ringmaruf said:
I really think Bobbi should have kept her mouth shut.

Although we here all know the rumors and hope dearly that they're true, the rest of the world and the media didn't know about them until Bobbi went and talked about it like it's a done deal.

And if US does want to keep MDA, I'm sure they'll try to do something to save face...with this damn management, they'd hate nothing more than being embarrassed by Bobbi (or Teddy, or...well, I guess there's no risk of that with Pollock), making it look like they lost to her...this management is liable to do something stupid just to spite AFA.

I just don't see how any good could have come from her statements.
[post="288859"][/post]​
Well let's see....
First of all, Im pretty sure that this wasn't exclusive news "just to Bobbie". I think that folks may have been able to read it in the newspapers or watch it on TV. I'm just throwing that out there for arguments sake.

Then, if she would have kept her mouth shut, she would have been accused of, "not standing up for the f/a's".

So you want it both ways?