Management failing plan in PHL

This isn't some 9-5 office job where you can just bail at the end of the shift and have weekends and holidays off.

24x7x365...don't they tell them that anymore? :blink:
Pay McWages, get McEmployees...

Funny how management doesn't know it is "24x7x365"....they can never be found on a weekend or holiday! LEAD by EXAMPLE and maybe you might actually get someone to follow you! Not an excuse for people not doing their job they were hired to do, just an observation.

One of the first things our instructors told us in training all those years ago was "Enjoy the weekends off for these two weeks of training, they will be the last weekends off you will see for the next five or so years."

And they weren't kidding!
I'm always amazed by the new hire mentality of "I ain't working no weekends or holidays" or my personal favorite, "My shift is over in ten minutes, I'm outta here!" and walk off the gate.
This isn't some 9-5 office job where you can just bail at the end of the shift and have weekends and holidays off.

Here's the difference between hourly workers and salaried workers:

The rank and file are hourly workers that have a shift be it week day or week-end or holiday. You know the word..."shift" e.g. 9-5, 8-4, 7-3, 3-11... That means when the shift is over, so is their work.

Salaried workers, are workers that do not have set hours, and they may have to put in 10-12 hours a day or more including weekends, holidays, etc...

The salaried workers need to cover the SHIFT if the rank and file do not want the overtime or have other committments. If the salaried worker doesn't like it...form a union.

PitBull -

I agree with you.......but, if a salaried worker did do the work of a Shift employee, then it would be grounds for a grievance. (not that I think there are many managers out there that would come out and do the work)

I told him if he went to PHL it was a career killer. He laugh and said all that stuff in PHL is rumor.

Remember the days when you had to know somebody to get a JOB in this business.

They have ruined this business to line their pockets.

I see guys throw bags off the stairs of jet ways they don’t give a sh#t …

IF THEY DON’T BRING THE WAGES BACK UP SOON IT WILL BLOW UP IN THEIR FACE. PASSENGERS ARE GETTING TIRED OF AGENTS BEING RUDE, (WHICH I SEE EVERY DAY)

ALL BECAUSE THEY BELIEVE THAY BY PAYING YOU LESS THEY MAKE MORE MONEY.

WHAT THEY DON’T REALIZE IS THAT WHAT WE USED TO DO OUT OF LOVE FOR OUR JOBS WE NOW DO JUST FOR A PAY CHECK YOU GET NOTHING MORE OR NOTHING LESS.
You must remember to raise the starting wages
you must take from the top out wages or their benefits or contract out more stations
there is a price to pay either way,
Todays new ( so called rude ) work force is the same ( so called rude ) workforce that started 20 yr ago think about it.
Sounds like you dont like getting older.
" The times.......they are....a change-n

<SNIP> With unemployment being as low as it is why would anyone want a job where they have to bust their hump for a measly 9.50/hr in the elements with virtually no benefits when they know they can get a job working in nice climate controlled environment making about the same amount of money with better benefits and some sort of a future.
Or getting a pat-down from Mo’Nique every day when you go to work.

PHL is the #1 revenue generating station US flies in and out of.

I have no doubt the station has the highest gross revenues.

Once you back out ATC costs, bag delivery costs, late operations due to staffing,goodwill losses (passengers select other airlines), etc., do you think PHL has the highest NET revenues?

Somehow, I doubt it.

I have no doubt the station has the highest gross revenues.

Once you back out ATC costs, bag delivery costs, late operations due to staffing,goodwill losses (passengers select other airlines), etc., do you think PHL has the highest NET revenues?

Somehow, I doubt it.
You hit the nail square on the head!

What a cesspool. Abandon PHL and take the connections back to PIT. PHL is a lost cause.

A320 Driver B)

Right on!

And before that happens, make Doug and all of the other geniuses don disguises and work the ramp in PHL for a month straight, with the following caveats:

1) You can only pay for living expenses out of your ramp wages.
2) You have to work whatever shifts you are assigned.
3) You don't get to opt out of anything or use your company position to change anything that happens in PHL.
4) No calling off AT ALL.
5) You break the rules, you get fired......I MEAN FIRED, AS IN YOU LOSE YOUR JOB AND CAN'T COME BACK.

Unfortunately, the chances of that happening are about the same as Tempe dumping PHL and coming back to PIT.

One of the first things our instructors told us in training all those years ago was "Enjoy the weekends off for these two weeks of training, they will be the last weekends off you will see for the next five or so years."

Man, wasn't that the truth! :lol:

24x7x365...don't they tell them that anymore? :blink:
Pay McWages, get McEmployees...

Not at NW....The new hires are being "promised" day shift with weekends off...Imagine their joy when they then report here, and I assign them 1930-0100 with Monday/Tuesday off.

I think in Philly you have a large group of senior fleet agents who have responsibilities to themselves or their families, and this job. With that said, I could see where frustration could set in and ruin their morale to want to work, especially when your assigned to work with agents who have no clue or care as to what happens to the airplane or the people on board. Shame on US Airways your ruining good fleet workers, enforce your work rules.

I think in Philly you have a large group of senior fleet agents who have responsibilities to themselves or their families, and this job. With that said, I could see where frustration could set in and ruin their morale to want to work, especially when your assigned to work with agents who have no clue or care as to what happens to the airplane or the people on board. Shame on US Airways your ruining good fleet workers, enforce your work rules.

Same situation at PHX ramp. They increased the pay for newbies but failed to increase pay for senior agents. And that was just in PHX and not LAS or field stations. Morale is terrible and the new people they are getting would rather sit and watch everyone else work. Come in and get the paycheck. Say anything about this to management and their reply is that they need the "warm bodies". Sad situation.

I am tired of hearing about Southwest Airlines, I think they will have their day in hell eventually, but here I go. They have the ability to turn airplanes in Philly quickly, although they do not have as large of a presence as Usairways. Somewhere in this Southwest group, if you study the workers and management in Philly lies the secret. Is it good wages, management, less outside interference from other union work groups, workers not from the PHL area(I think there are many PHL people who work hard)? This is one place that you can say there are too many Indians and not enough Cheifs.