Management Raises

ktflyhome said:
Pitguy...I am with you. It does seem the company is at Panic Mode over Teddy Xidas. She is Dedicated, forthright, honest, hard working, realistic, Speaks Volumes for most of the F/A's. Probably gets less than 1/2 the sleep at night that Dave does. She CARES. :up:
KTFly:

PITBull is interested in preserving as many jobs as possible within AFA ranks, especially if the AFA members are based in PIT. That's a very respectable goal. If she is successful in accomplishing this objective, then she gains the respect of the rank and file and she retains more dues paying members for the AFA. The only problem with her current tactics is that the company has only two options - to retain as many people as possible on the property at lower wages, or to furlough more AFA members to keep the current wages acceptable. I can tell you this, I would not want PITBull's job because either way it is a losing battle. US Airways MUST reduce labor costs in order to transform and compete with the LCC's. There is no getting around it, as sad as it is.

ITRADE said:
Wait a sec here.....who are you saying that Pitbull is?????? Inquiry minds want to know.
You really want scot, to send you away don't you?

Spin Doc,

If you are referring to the PIT Pres. the members will decide collectively to open the contract or to wait until 2009. Our union upholds democratic principles.

If they decide to "open" and there is a proposal, the members well again decide to accept or reject the proposal.

The AFA MECs role will be to study a proposal brought forth by the negotiating committee, if it is unacceptable, it can be voted on by the MEC to return it back to the bargaining table to "engage" once again or send it out.

PIT Pres. can not endorse any proposal that eliminates jobs in our group or any group and has absolutely NOTHING to do with damn dues dollars. It has to do with "liviable wage jobs". However, the ultimate decision for ratification is with the membership if it even gets that far.

However, a bit of advice for CCY...if I were in labor relations dept I would be settling some major grievances at jet speed with all groups, and I would be fixing the "sick policies" ASAP, if I even wanted the employees "ear" at this point.

To "open doors", you need the ingredients for good labor relations.

Union or management, we can all agree that there are processes that must take place with regards to opening or modifying union contracts, and it doesn't make much sense to negotiate in public. Both sides have been working overtime to get a leg up on the other when the focus really needs to be on finding ways to lower expenses in order to effectively compete with LCC's. I see people complaining on these boards that management at US are not leaders, only reactionaries. Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but if US can get their costs down to LCC levels and continue to command a small premium for better service, then US will be the leader and AA, UA, CO, NW, and DL will all have to either find a way to follow, or develop their own plan to beat the LCC's. US is on the leading edge of the inevitable industry transformation and if they can achieve LCC unit costs, the revenue during the next economic boom will be incredible. HP is definitely the model that needs to be implemented and quickly.

True, but IIRC, HP's cost model was based on very, very low wages. Well below the current US level. Their revenue model was a mix of adjusting to simplified fares and shedding the assets/routes that didn't make sense - CMH for example.

Spin Doc,

AFA has the wage information of HP and JetBlue. AFA sent this out on an e-line today. Contrary to popular belief, our wages are very close to theirs. The difference is our flying options.

The other thing that labor is thinking is U's zeal to model after HP.

Leads one to believe there maybe a deal in the works on UCT.

Also, I want to add, that having the lowest costs and being on the leading edge or attaining #1 status with huge profits is only as important as the employees financial survival at livable wages. If that can't be accomplished, than the "deal" doesn't matter to labor; it will only matters to the Corporate execs who will profit from all of it. I think you can agree.

If US implements the HP model, we can kiss PIT goodbye. (Just saw another UA ad on TV -- god I wish US could do some advertising the way UA is now.)

700UW said:
going to enjoy your trip?
Excuse me...was that directed at me? I ask because you didn't put a name on it, and it came right after one of my posts.

USFlyer: There have been numours United commercials on tv as of late. i wake up hearing the Piano music. Who ever did the music to these commercials was brilliant, because they wake me up (I sleep with my remote and the tv on) and I hear the music and I know instantly that it is United. I give them alot of credit there. To watch it is just....ok....but the sound (music....piano) is a Catcher at best. MSBC is playing United Commercials at least twice an hour. I wake up and listen to the I man in the morning and I hear the United Commercials constantly. That has got to make a difference, let alone some costs.

PITBULL, I have to disagree with you. Retension bonuses are necessary in order to keep highly skilled employees from flocking to other companies or industries. Unfortunately, entry-level positions do not require a lot of credentials and there is a large pool of people in which to draw from who are willing to work for less. This puts pressure on labor's ability get paid according to what they think they are worth. Workers with higher credentials and unique and specialized skills have a lot more power to extract the pay they think that they are worth. It's supply and demand. Highly specialized workers are more scarce, and hence, more expensive. There has to be incentives in place to retain top talent. They are vital to the organization. I happen to be a flight attendant and I AM LABOR, but I was really opposed to AFA's attempts to thwart United from paying retension bonuses to key talent. It's a necessary evil, even though it does cause resentment to those taking pay cuts. An organization cannot risk losing its key people all at the same time.
Highly skilled workers are highly sought after and there are many industries that are willing to pay a lot more than the airlines do. I do not mean any disrespect in saying this, but a senior financial analyst is harder to replace than a flight attendant or customer service agent.

JAMAKE1,

I will definitely have to disagree with your assumptions. You have to define talent and skill.

You have to turn many a rocks to find it at U. Granted, there are some management folks here with talent. But having a Degree in business, or finance does not automatically grant you the "crown" of talent and skill. Experience goes a long way in this business. We have what you call "entry level" folks that have the talent IMO to slide right into an opening in management. Some who are on the street as well.

Again define skill. Many many rank and file employees have 4-year degrees. Just because they take a labor job, does not make them unskilled or less talented than those who hold a managment title.

With regard to undergrad degrees or graduate degrees, we have many managers that have neither including directors.

I will definitely have to disagree with your assumptions. You have to define talent and skill.

You have to turn many a rocks to find it at U.

Boy is that a jaded perspective. Many in mgmt where once front line folks. Are they exceptions or do you turn evil and talentless once you cross over...hmm

There are COB's published all that time that union employees qualify for. But watch what you ask for. Talent and skill then is only what will keep you in your job...and even then not.

Latest posts

Back