Management to forego PUP payouts

Jul 14, 2004
I just heard from a reliable source that there will be an announcement tomorrow from the company they will not be receiving their PUP bonuses as show of "good faith" to all. They will pass on the bonuses in an effort to re-establish faith to its employees and the overall general public. Wow! Now that's what I call leadership. Way to lead by example during a period where fuel is going thru the roof and negative public sentiment is at its highest. Now, no one can say the upper echelon didn't do the right thing. :up:

If this is true nice job to the AA Emplyoees for putting the pressuer on them. Maybe they could use them to help pay for the APA contract, even though I don't think they will get even close to waht they want.

If this is true nice job to the AA Emplyoees for putting the pressuer on them. Maybe they could use them to help pay for the APA contract, even though I don't think they will get even close to waht they want.

The day Superbowl Sunday becomes a paid holiday is the day that I demand the World Series become a paid week off. You know, not all of us are all that crazy about football (and I'm sure it doesn't help that the team I root for sucks).

The upside to the MD-80 debacle. At least our management recognized in time that accepting the bonusses after that disaster would have enraged the Court of Public Opinion. Not even our executives have that much chutzpah.

It Took, Only Took , Thousands, !!! Losing their jobs, Understanding what has been going on, for over 5 years! and after 3 years of MILLIONS of DOLLARS of already Paid bonus checks!!! What does it matter? As The, EKECS say? thank god, We Have a job...RIGHT?

LOVE PUP! It's What we Reserve!

It Took, Only Took , Thousands, !!! Losing their jobs, Understanding what has been going on, for over 5 years! and after 3 years of MILLIONS of DOLLARS of already Paid bonus checks!!! What does it matter? As The, EKECS say? thank god, We Have a job...RIGHT?

LOVE PUP! It's What we Reserve!

Fore go or defer?

It was the smallest of the three PUP payouts. But still will garner them the right to say they gave it back. Nothing more than a cheap media ploy during negotiations.They lost me after the first one and completely sealed it after second one. It is a shame what they have already done to the spirit of this once great airline.

The day Superbowl Sunday becomes a paid holiday is the day that I demand the World Series become a paid week off. You know, not all of us are all that crazy about football (and I'm sure it doesn't help that the team I root for sucks).
I'd agree with you on that one, as a Sports Fan I think the Super Bowl should be a paid holiday. Does anyone know when there today or tomorrow (Q1 Confrence Call tomorrow), when it will be announced?

AA couldn't win either way on this one. At least they chose the right alternative, but they were damned if they took the payouts, and as a few of you have already posted, foregoing them doesn't do a damn thing as far as labor relations is concerned.

Keep in mind it's a precedent. They have something to point at next time unions refuse to do a side-letter outside of negotiations, and the unions have something to point at next time they see an inequity.

I heard the Super Bowl will become a paid holiday once the Cubs win the World Series...

How benevolent of the capitalists to forego what they have stolen from labor!
I propose that May 1st should be a paid holiday.

AA couldn't win either way on this one. At least they chose the right alternative, but they were damned if they took the payouts, and as a few of you have already posted, foregoing them doesn't do a damn thing as far as labor relations is concerned.

Keep in mind it's a precedent. They have something to point at next time unions refuse to do a side-letter outside of negotiations, and the unions have something to point at next time they see an inequity.

I heard the Super Bowl will become a paid holiday once the Cubs win the World Series...

Eric, once again, fore go or defer? Stocks down, credibility in the toilet, defer the payment, priceless?

How is this precedent...most of the executives went without pay entirely for the last quarter of 2001? To Eric's point, damned if they do, damned if they don't. Everybody conveniently forgot they took that pay holiday. If they got paid $1 it would be too much. If they worked for free it would be because they were getting something somehow.

Did they do the right thing, of course! Will it matter in the end...no.

When these guys forgo anything that's coming to them, it only means that their boot will come down on the little guy once more. OIL, STOCK PRICES, MAINTENANCE FIASCO, PUBLIC RELATIONS NIGHTMARES, someone has to pay or something has to go. More outsourcing of lower-end jobs, that's their answer.

Don't worry you EXECS. Pilots, Flight Attendants, and Mechanics are safe.

GRUNTS pay the ultimate price first

Agreed.

Keep in mind it's a precedent. They have something to point at next time unions refuse to do a side-letter outside of negotiations.

Hardly. They didnt take a bonus after a very public management failure.What does that have to do with labor? All the unions have to point out is how flexible they've been in the past such as opening up the contracts and giving up 25% of their pay.

Back