Management to forego PUP payouts

they'd no longer have a contract, or at the very least one equal to ours in maintenance.

Ya reckon that would work for them?

Too bad your spineless leader sidelined Conley. That's exactly the approach he was proposing at the PHX symposium.

I do think if the unions were to agree that there only be one set of benefits and wage rules for all unions and all levels of management employees at AMR, perhaps you'd be onto something.

Too bad your spineless leader sidelined Conley. That's exactly the approach he was proposing at the PHX symposium.

I do think if the unions were to agree that there only be one set of benefits and wage rules for all unions and all levels of management employees at AMR, perhaps you'd be onto something.

I agree. I don't object to labor's stance on the PUP payouts because I disagree with it, I object to it because it's hypocritical. Here's an example:

Let's say that AA decided not to pay the pilots for the lost MD-80 hours. This pay is guaranteed by the pilot's contract. How do you think the APA would have reacted? It would have raised a shitstorm (rightfully so) because this pay is protected in the contract. And yet no one on here is labeling the pilots as "greedy pigs at the trough" for taking "blood money".

Your unions failed you in 2003. I don't think taking the payouts was the smartest strategy or well-timed, but I won't damn management for taking what was contractually agreed upon, just as no one should condemn the pilots for getting paid for work they did not do.

The reaction on the thread (when it was asserted that management would not be taking the payouts) was illustrative. With so many putting forth an attitude of "too little, too late" what incentive would there be for management not for forgo this pay? You may not like it, but you have to work with the suits on this stuff and give them some incentive to come round to your side.

Did they take PUP ?

Did they NOT take PUP ?

"..W..T..F.." ??????

Anyway, as far as this years PUP, (because of the S-80 Abortion,) that alone was enough for them to Decline !

But alas, it appears they didn't, SO....I support Laura Gladings(APFA) strong effort to get these ****suckers to RESIGN !!!!!!!!!!!

But strangely, THIS is NOT THE #1 issue !!!!!

What happened in 2003 IS THE issue !

What happened in 2003 was the ABSOLUTE TOTAL BLAME..on ....J.(chicken) Little/John Ward, and whoever was leading APA.

And to take it even further, in 2003,..............."WE"(YES I was active in 2003)........."WE" are to totally BLAME.
"WE" meaning ALL the ...WEAK...SPINELESS....GUTLESS....BASTARDS who voted.."YES", whether you were a TW..Useless member, an APFA member, or an APA member.

BK, or NO BK,........................."WE" control our own destiny, ...........and "WE" failed.............PERIOD !!!

The question NOW(to come) is..................................."WILL YOU FAIL AGAIN" ????????????????

AA will still threaten BK, ............BUT..............."YOU"(union members) CONTROL YOUR OWN DESTINY !!
It's NOT friggin' ROCKET SCIENCE !!

So go ahead, blame "PUP" if it makes you feel better.

04.17.08 - Ft. Worth Star Telegram - Union pres calls for AA resignations
Union president calls for American Airlines resignations over bonuses
By ****** **********
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

A union leader is calling for the resignation of the top five American Airlines executives, including CEO Gerard Arpey, after the group split stock bonuses worth nearly $5 million Wednesday.

Laura Glading, who was recently elected president of the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, had previously asked the executives to decline the bonuses until airline employees have new contracts. She cited an "abysmal" performance record at the airline and noted that employees have been working under reduced wages and benefits since 2003.

"It's appalling," she said. "This management team has lost all credibility with the employees; they've completely lost our confidence."

The stock bonuses, which have been in place for several years, remain a major point of contention with American's unions. The bonus plan covers about 900 of the airline's top executives and managers, and awards company stock based on the performance of the shares compared with other airlines' during a three-year period.

The amount of the bonuses was derived from the stock's closing price Wednesday. According to estimates from the Allied Pilots Association, the payouts total about $38 million.

Although substantial, the bonuses are significantly less than last year, when they totaled about $160 million. That's because AMR's stock price has dropped significantly during the past year.

For example, Arpey's bonus is estimated to be worth about $1.7 million this year, compared with $7.5 million last year. For the top officers, the total value can also be affected by other undisclosed performance measures.

Earlier this week, Jeff Brundage, the airline's senior vice president of human resources, defended the bonus plan as part of an overall compensation package that varies depending on the company's performance. He said that American executives receive less-than-average compensation compared with other companies of a similar size.

"We've always targeted the midpoint of our peer group," he said.

Glading said the union would take their concerns to AMR's board of directors if Arpey and four other top officials refuse to surrender their positions.

"We will communicate to them our level of upset with this," she said. "Something's got to give."

The Transport Workers Union, which represents American's ground workers, has also been highly critical of the bonuses. It has published ads in newspapers, including the Star-Telegram, criticizing American for rewarding top managers ahead of rank-and-file workers.

Another ad was planned for today's newspaper, which shows a picture of a child's hand in a cookie jar and declares "most people learn not to be greedy ... not the leadership of American Airlines."

James Little, the union's international president, said: "The frustration is just growing year after year when we see this. The morale couldn't be lower."

Tuesday, the Allied Pilots Association, which represents American's pilots, picketed at airports nationwide and also demonstrated at the headquarters of the airline's major corporate customers.

Pilots have been in contract talks with American for more than 18 months, but little progress has been made. This week, the National Mediation Board assigned a mediator to oversee talks.

Ground workers began negotiations in November. Little said that some "very, very slow progress" has been made. Flight attendants will begin talks in June.

Executive bonuses

About 900 of AMR's top executives and managers were awarded a total of $38 million in stock under an annual incentive plan. Here is the estimated value of the payouts to the top five officers, according to a union analysis:

Gerard Arpey, chief executive officer: $1.7 million

Tom Horton, chief financial officer: $934,000

Dan Garton, executive vice president of marketing: $934,000

Gary Kennedy, senior vice president and general counsel, $686,000

Robert Reding, executive vice president of operations, $686,000

Source: Allied Pilots Association

We all know what they are. They know what they are. They have everything to gain and nothing to lose. They have no conscience. Why would they resign?