Message From Doug

MarkMyWords

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Jim (BoeingBoy) posted this in another thread, but I felt that it needed a thread of it's own. What a remarkable difference in management styles.

Doug's message from the latest 'Plane Deal' released Friday - it seemed appropriate to this thread......

A Message from Doug

Dear Fellow Employees:

This past week the merger between US Airways and America West Airlines became official. US Air ways has emerged f rom bankruptcy and together with America West, formed the nation’s fif th largest airline. Together we have formed one of the most financially stable airlines in the industr y with over $2.5 billion in cash and a reasonable debt load. This should allow us to withstand whatever this turbulent industry may throw at us.

As CEO of the new US Air ways, I wanted to let you know my thoughts about this merger and the road ahead. First, I am extremely excited about our future together. I believe that we are not just building an airline that will survive the years ahead; I believe we are going to build the best airline in the world.

To do that, we will need to embrace the following four goals:

1) We will be a low cost carrier:

Our industry has changed forever. Low cost carriers are expanding rapidly. Larger airlines like Delta and Northwest have filed bankruptcy to get their costs down to our level. Our customers demand safe, reliable and courteous service at a reasonable fare. To be the best airline in the world, we simply must be efficient. We must not waste money on things that customers don’t care about (or aren’t willing to pay for). We must be resourceful and figure out ways to meet our customers’ needs with fewer resources than our competitors.

Importantly, I do not believe this means that our employees need to give more. Both the US Airways employees and the America West employees have made tremendous sacrifices over the years and I do not anticipate further requests for contract concessions or pay reductions. We just need to work together to ensure we’re being as efficient as possible.

2) We will run a reliable airline:

More than anything, customers today want reliability. They want to know that they will be on-time and that their bags will be there when they land. The biggest negative about keeping the US Airways name is that, unfortunately, customers today do not perceive it to be a reliable air line. This must change. Our goal will be to regular ly be in the top three of all major airlines in on-time performance and baggage handling. We can and achieve this goal, and management ’s job will be to ensure you have the tools you need to make it happen.

3) We will be customer-friendly:

While reliability is our customers’ primary need, there are other product attributes that are important to their purchase decision. We will have a product offering that we are describing as “ business casual,†which basically means we will cater to our important business customers, but not in an overly formal way. We will fly to places that people want to fly to and our expanded, combined route network will be very helpful in that regard. We will be a global airline with a large, domestic hub-and-spoke network complemented with the shuttle operation and international ser vice. We will price our product fairly, but intelligently. We will not attempt to gouge passengers as we know this will only invite low-cost competition. We also will do our best to avoid ridiculously low fares that fall below our cost of providing service. In short, we will use the customer-friendly but profitable America West pricing model that we introduced in March 2002 and which has been reluctantly (but not wholly) replicated by every other major airline.

Our product offering will also be “business casual.†We will have first class cabins, airport clubs, in-flight video and an industry leading frequent flyer program enhanced by our inc lusion in the Star Alliance. We will provide our coach customers with the value-added option of purchasing meals on board. And yes, we will give our customers pretzels.

Most importantly, we will encourage our customer contact and front line employees to be professional but not rigid. We will certainly have policies and procedures, but we will encourage you to take care of our customers as you see fit and give you the latitude to do so. We understand that you know how to do your jobs better than we do and we want to be sure that you are given the f reedom to do just that.

4) We will treat our employees with respect:

We cannot do any of the things above without the full energy and effort of each of you. We must pull together and work as a team if we are to reach our goals. America West and US Airways employees must work together and treat each other with mutual respect and a spirit of camaraderie. Most importantly, the company must treat its employees with respect. We will communicate regularly and candidly. We may even use humor on occasion, which serves as a good reminder that while we take our work seriously, we do not take ourselves so seriously. We will listen to each other and respond professionally and respectfully. When the company has news to report, whether good or bad, we will do our best to do so in plain English, not corporate babble, and we will always be honest and open.

If we can do all of these things well – and we will – we will create the best airline in the world; one that customers want to fly and a place where people want to work.

Finally, on a personal note, I’d like to thank all of you for your encouragement and support throughout this process.

To the America West team, thank you for getting us to this point. You are an exceptional group of people and your resourcefulness and spirit are the only reason that America West is here to make this merger happen. The past four years as your CEO have been the most rewarding and enjoyable of my career. Thanks for believing in me as much as I believed in you. It’s been an honor and a privilege to work with you and I'm looking forward to our next chapter together.

To the US Airways team, thank you for giving me a chance. I’ve had the opportunity to meet with many of you already and have been impressed with your spirit and enthusiasm. I understand that you have been through a lot over the past few years and at times have felt betrayed by management. While I wish that you all would believe that we are different and trust us out of blind faith, you do not owe us that. Trust is earned and I, along with the rest of the leadership team, plan to earn yours. I only ask that you give me the chance to do so.

In closing, this past Tuesday was a great day. Thanks to all of you who paused and celebrated our amazing collective achievement. But let’s not think for a second that this is the end of the road. Indeed, it is just the beginning. We have much work ahead, but the people that made this happen can accomplish great things. Working together, we can accomplish anything. Let ’s go show the world how truly amazing the new US Airways is going to be.

Thank you again for your support. I’m honored to be a part of the team.

Different leader, same tune.

"We do not anticipate needing more concessions from the unions".

Heard that from Wolf, Siegel, Lakefield, Gangwal and Schofield!!

Show us you mean business, get rid of the US Airways management people.
All of them!!

Same old pissy attitude........don't give anything / anyone a chance, find something negative to say about everything. :rolleyes:

i'd say give him a chance. HP employees gave him a chance he took care of them and now it is his turn to take care of all those who remain.

I'll cut justaumechanic some slack here - what's that saying? "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

We on the East side have been fooled at least thrice. If it was just another CEO coming in and saying all the right things - like Wolfe, like Siegel, like Lakefield - I would echo justaumechanics sentiments.

What makes me more optimistic that things will indeed be better this time is the West folk's words, not Parker's.

Jim

MarkMyWords said:
Same old pissy attitude........don't give anything / anyone a chance, find something negative to say about everything.   :rolleyes:
[post="307898"][/post]​

Mark,

I don't know if you keep past history fanalia, but I do.

If you look at 2002 USAirways connection newsletter, the first one by Siegel "treat employees with respect", still hangs on my wall.

I guess there are only so many words that a CEO can circulate. I think it is there "hope" to treat employees with respect, I think it is their "hope" to keep costs down and not ask for more from employees, it is their "hope" to be on time and produce a consistant product and meet the consumers expectation, but ususally, and alomost always, won't happen in this business. That's the real exepctation to convey, so you don't consistantly fall short. Making statements like "building the best airline in the world", is saying that we are already a "good company, going to great". Ah, not the spectrum we sit on. His shortsightness is very apparant, and he implies that the $2.5 billion will withstand any obstacle. It is very transparent by his statements that he is a very new CEO with lots of investor $$, he's looking at as if it is a cushion for infinity.

I too, have an expectation. And I believe these execs have ruined the industry forever. How I know this? While they have you taking your eye off the ball hoping for sunny days from this corporation, I believe they are in the back room discussing what their compensation package will be and their monthly paycheck will be to keep this boat afloat.

For a CEO to say publically how much cash they have on hand, and that they can withstand anything that gets thrown at them, is delusional at best. Money is King for a short time, and then you burn right through it quicker than lightening without a marketing plan and a sustainable operation. New ideas to lure customers to fly U vs another LCC or legacy.

We are no longer in bk. They can't hide anymore, nor make excuses. Labor's gone deaf; not blind.

I expect from a CEO honesty, due diligence, and for him to roll up his sleeve and not look at how much money they have on hand at the moment. But show the employees who are STILL in "sacrifice mode" being a LCC, that he too, will take a cut in compensation and only be tide to profit performance as the rest of the rank and file.

That's integrity; that's earning resepect in an industry whose execs think they are
demigods, and cash access is easy as long as they have employees to $&%* with.

BoeingBoy said:
I'll cut justaumechanic some slack here - what's that saying? "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

We on the East side have been fooled at least thrice. If it was just another CEO coming in and saying all the right things - like Wolfe, like Siegel, like Lakefield - I would echo justaumechanics sentiments.

What makes me more optimistic that things will indeed be better this time is the West folk's words, not Parker's.

Jim
[post="307906"][/post]​

Excellent Post!!!!!!!!!

PITbull said:
Mark,

That's integrity; that's earning resepect in an industry whose execs think they are
demogods, and cash access is easy as long as they have employees to $&%* with.
[post="307909"][/post]​
Pit, Mark has not seen thru your eyes and has no real clue, although his and others blind faith in humanity is what corporate America counts on to have their way.

Justamechanic was not only right to post what he did, but has earned that right. It would be the fool who posted anything different after being kicked in the teeth time and time again and hearing that you weren't really being kicked in the teeth.

I predict that what history has already screamed at us all who can reason, will again occur: It's the same song and dance and when real world forces come into play the same story will replay only this time around with many different victims.

The industry has not changed enough when CEO's still earn yearly what the workers who make it all happen don't command in an entire lifetime.

These are the reasons I and many others have walked away from all the lies and heart aches.

Call me whatever you wish, but I absolutely believe that time will make my words prophecy.

THIS IS THE PART THAT STANDS OUT TO ME:

I understand that you have been through a lot over the past few years and at times have felt betrayed by management. While I wish that you all would believe that we are different and trust us out of blind faith, you do not owe us that. Trust is earned and I, along with the rest of the leadership team, plan to earn yours. I only ask that you give me the chance to do so.

HELL I'LL GIVE THEM A CHANCE, THE SAME CHANCE I GAVE A UNION REP BACK YEARS AGO WHEN SHE WAS OUSTING THE D BROTHERS. THAT WAS A GOOD GAMBLE.........AND WHAT CHOICE DO I HAVE, I CAN BE MISERABLE AND NEGATIVE OR OPTIMISTIC AND POSITIVE WITH THE SAME OUTCOME.......

I THINK ILL DO JUST THAT, ILL HOPE FOR THE BEST AND JUST GIVE THEM A CHANCE......ILL LET HIM EARN MY TRUST.

I say, give him a chance to prove everyone wrong. Remember that this is not the good old CCY mentality that we are dealing with here. The Bafoons that we had in charge before had no intention of running an Airline, whereas I believe Doug does.
The W&G team had no other goal other than to spruce the Airline up for sale. After they were gone Bonner just want to beat the workforce down enough for him and his Alabama Gang to make a Quick Buck at our expense. Since the PI & US Merger 16 long years ago, this Airline has had no sense of direction or Marketing strategy at all. Let's hope that those days are gone, and that there is something to look forward to...at least for those of you who are still with the Company anyway.

Do you all forget Al Crellin the master of disaster is at HP now, Al Hemenway who was Jerry's right hand man of destroying labor is now at HP?

I agree with Jim -

I am cautiously optimistic for now. I don't trust Doug or any of the other executives whole heartedly. Trust is something earned and not given blindly. So I educated myself. I talked to AWA employees and listen to how they feel about their CEO. I have talked to AWA employees / executives that have come to my office and I am impressed.

Let me relate my experiences. With previous managers, recommendations, comments, concerns were pushed to the way side. If they didn't think of it, or see it, it wasn't important. In just the short time that we have been interacting with our AWA family, I have seen a completely different attitude. They are open to comments, concerns, recommendations and provide follow-up and feedback. You may not get what you want, but you will get an answer why you didn't.

With the exiting of several department heads this week, I have heard tremendous feedback from people in those departments. People are encouraged to use their best judgement, make their own decisions where before they had to have the approval of every Tom, Dick and Harry in CCY. Micro-managing is out and owning problems/solutions are back in. In many places, morale has ticked up a notch, for the first time in a long time.

This is not the same company it was just a month ago. And in several months we won't be the same company we are now. From everything I have heard, read and seen, Doug is a man of his word. He is a realist and knows exactly where we have been and what a tough road lies ahead. I am not saying I am willing to follow him blindly, but so far, I like what I see.

Here are some key sentences that I picked out of his message that make me believe that things are about to change:

Our customers demand safe, reliable and courteous service at a reasonable fare.

He gets it. HE understands what our CUSTOMERS have been saying all along! REASONABLE FARES. Not fares lower then LCC's but a reasonable fare.

We must be resourceful and figure out ways to meet our customers’ needs with fewer resources than our competitors.

Being resourceful. Cutting the waste from the top of the tree down.

We can and achieve this goal, and management ’s job will be to ensure you have the tools you need to make it happen.

It is THEIR job to make sure you have what you need to do the job, not to beat and berate you for not getting the job done without the tools you need.

We will price our product fairly, but intelligently. We will not attempt to gouge passengers as we know this will only invite low-cost competition. We also will do our best to avoid ridiculously low fares that fall below our cost of providing service.

HELLO! Isn't this what many of us have been saying all along? Did Dave and BBB listen when they introduced "GoFares" but only in select markets (that had LCC competition) We priced ourselves, in some markets, to where we would have to have a 118% load factor to break even! That doesn't make sense, but what they do makes sense to me.

We understand that you know how to do your jobs better than we do and we want to be sure that you are given the f reedom to do just that.

Encouraging front line employees to be "professional, not rigid" while empowering them to do what is right for the customer. Imagine being able to see a problem and being able to solve it without fear of losing your job. Imagine returning some of the "fun" to the workplace.

Most importantly, the company must treat its employees with respect.

They get it....employees are not whipping posts, they are an asset that is the most important aspect of the company.

When the company has news to report, whether good or bad, we will do our best to do so in plain English, not corporate babble, and we will always be honest and open.

Isn't this what we have all wanted all along? While I understand being pessimistic, give the guy a chance.

Trust is earned and I, along with the rest of the leadership team, plan to earn yours. I only ask that you give me the chance to do so.

He realizes that there will always be skeptics. Gve the man a chance. What do you have to lose? Wallowing in the past isn't going to change it. You can't take back the executive bonuses, you can't change what has already been done. Eyes forward and watch the road.....we are starting on a new journey and it is anybody's guess where we will go from here.

As for me.....so far, I am enjoying the ride, the scenary has changed a little, the sun is starting to peek through. Whether I am tossed off the bus, or invited along for the long haul is anyones guess, but while I am here, I am going to make the best of it and do my part to make sure we stay on course.

As for me.....so far, I am enjoying the ride, the scenary has changed a little, the sun is starting to peek through. Whether I am tossed off the bus, or invited along for the long haul is anyones guess, but while I am here, I am going to make the best of it and do my part to make sure we stay on course.
[post="307962"][/post]​
[/quote]

I remember a senior management guy saying exciting things were going to happen when Siegel came on board. The exciting thing that happened soon after his remarks was his own departure. He now sells cars down the street. Mark you remind me of this man. This was a senior big shot at Pit. I can give you his email address and he will try to sell you VW. He still has that sunny good natured attitude, and I’m sure you will too.

As I said Cal.....I have no idea if I will have a job or not with the merged company. If I don't, so be it. I have gained very valuable work experiences in my time here. I will pick myself up, dust myself off and move on. If I am invited along for the ride, even better.

PITbull said:
If you look at 2002 USAirways connection newsletter, the first one by Siegel "treat employees with respect", still hangs on my wall.
[post="307909"][/post]​

Hanging on to the past will impede your progess into the future. The fool me once fool me twice...being cautious is understable, but at least take a wait and see approach and put away that noose.

PITbull said:
Making statements like "building the best airline in the world", is saying that we are already a "good company, going to great". Ah, not the spectrum we sit on.
[post="307909"][/post]​

We are a good company with alot of work to do. "Ah, not the spectrum we sit on." Who is "we"...not me.

PITbull said:
His shortsightness is very apparant, and he implies that the $2.5 billion will withstand any obstacle. It is very transparent by his statements that he is a very new CEO with lots of investor $$, he's looking at as if it is a cushion for infinity.
[post="307909"][/post]​

Perhaps a little optimistic, but being optimistic with a plan is much better than a rotten attitude with no plan.

PITbull said:
I too, have an expectation. And I believe these execs have ruined the industry forever. How I know this? While they have you taking your eye off the ball hoping for sunny days from this corporation, I believe they are in the back room discussing what their compensation package will be and their monthly paycheck will be to keep this boat afloat.
[post="307909"][/post]​

The industry may be ruined in your eyes if all you care about is pay scales, but in truth it is evolving. DP is obviously not like any exec you have ever met. DP did not ruin AWA. He saved it. Give him a chance.

PITbull said:
For a CEO to say publically how much cash they have on hand, and that they can withstand anything that gets thrown at them, is delusional at best. Money is King for a short time, and then you burn right through it quicker than lightening.
[post="307909"][/post]​

Cash on hand I think is a matter of public record is it not, and again being optimistic with a plan is much better than a rotten attitude with no plan.

PITbull said:
We are no longer in bk. They can't hide anymore.

I expect from a CEO honesty, due diligence, and for him to roll up his sleeve and not look at how much money they have on hand at the moment. But show the employees who are STILL in "sacrifice mode" being a LCC, that he too, will take a cut in compensation and only be tide to profit performance as the rest of the rank and file.
[post="307909"][/post]​

AWA hasn't taken any pay cuts since DP has been CEO. We had a 10% layoff in administrative folks back in 2003 but that has been it. He took care of us and will take care of the new US Airways employees to the best of his ability. Take it to the bank. He has character.

PITbull said:
demigods, and cash access is easy as long as they have employees to $&%* with.
[post="307909"][/post]​

DP acknowledges he needs to earn your respect. Give him a chance to let his actions speak for his words.

BoeingBoy said:

Jim
[post="307906"][/post]​

A majority of the former AWA employees that I work with really like DP because he is upfront, honest, witty and communicates his message in person to as many employees as possible. It's quite obvious he cares about us. This makes him a very likable person. Besides being just likable he has vision and has been recognized by industry experts for being a leader in the industry.