Aug 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Mr. Brett Durkin
Vice President
Association of Professional Flight Attendants
1004 West Euless Boulevard
Euless, Texas 76040
Dear Brett:
This confirms our understanding concerning the extraordinary measures afforded flight
attendants affected by Hurricane Frances and the transportation emergency (TE) during
the timeframe outlined below:
1200 Friday, September 3, 2004 thru 1200 Monday, September 6, 2004
1. Any flight attendant that experienced a misconnection, illegality or cancellation
(MIC) should follow the provisions outlined in Article 9. P. and Article 9. I. P. of
the AA/APFA Agreement.
2. Reserve flight attendants who incurred a TM (trip missed) or PO (personal off) as
a result of Hurricane Frances between Wednesday, September 1 and Monday,
September 6, 2004 will have the TM or PO removed and their guarantee
protected.
3. Any regularly scheduled flight attendant that requested a PO or received a TM
during the TE timeframe will have it changed to XX. The XX code does not
reflect an attendance occurrence under the Flight Attendant Attendance Policy.
Guarantee will be restored or the flight attendant may elect to use PVDs.
4. Any flight attendant who received a PO or TM as a result of Hurricane Frances
for trips originating outside of the TE timeframe listed above, will have it changed
to XX. The flight attendant will be able to place themselves on make up or may
choose to use PVDs for trips missed.
5. Any RL (report late) incurred as a direct result of Hurricane Frances will be
removed from all records.
6. Any flight attendant who incurred a severe hardship as a direct result of
Hurricane Frances (i.e., loss of home, severe damage, etc.) will be handled on
an individual basis by the applicable Base Manager.
Brett, I am pleased that we are able to offer this protection on a non-precedent setting
basis. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
P. A. Moore
Manager
Contract Administration

Lucky them. The MIA agents still took it up the ass. NO pay, even though the airport was closed, AA absolutely REFUSED to go any lower than condition yellow. Agents were called and told to come to work or they won't be paid. Airport was closed, but they still had to come to work. Some were even reminded that company policy states that they MUST report to work when ordered to do so even if public emergency announcements tell them otherwise - like, stay off roads, or communities that were in curfew status during Frances - didn't matter. Can someone verify that last part? Does AA really order it's employees to work regardless of public emergency announcements?

Why should someone get paid if they don't show up for work? The hurricane is not the fault of AA. I had tornado damage several years ago and was out of work for several days till I could get my house in order and I went unpaid. Life is tough. I did not expect AA to pay me for something which they had no control over.

The entitlement mentality of folks around here really amazes me. We no longer pay for pax to stay when WX messes up their travel plans. Florida gets hurricanes, DFW gets tornadoes, LA gets earth quakes. Don’t like it? Fine! MOVE!! But please don’t expect a hand out from your employer if you don’t show up for work.

And I have never heard anyone tell me that I had to come to work “or elseâ€￾. There was a bad hurricane or storm that RDU a while back and they shut the office down. The calls were shipped to the other reservation offices.

Wing, I’m not sure where you dig this crap up but you might want to try a different hole. The one you have been using lately seems to be pretty putrid.

Well, ya know, that "crap" doesn't have to be dug up, AMR continually slings it freely for all to catch.

However, I still think it is great that the F/As are being covered, and that SOME provision is going to be made for others as well. Just like the weather isn't AA's fault, it's not the employees fault either.

WingNaPrayer said:
Well, ya know, that "crap" doesn't have to be dug up, AMR continually slings it freely for all to catch.

As to the TE policy - that's what it is, policy, and when the company decides to side-step it, they are bound to get some slack. I wasn't sure they did it, that's why I asked, but now I'm sure because someone emailed me a copy of the letter from Uncle George Hazy himself . . .no hurricane pay even though it's company policy . . . However, hurricane pay WILL be provided for the hours the airport was actually closed so late saturday night to early sunday morning, those scheduled to work but did not show up due to the airport being closed were going to be receiving TE pay.

I guess once all hell broke loose when MIA folks found out that FLL folks were getting it, let alone their unionized co-workers, they had to follow company policy for just a few hours.

The entitlement mentality, as you put it, was created when AMR, NOT it's employees, created the TE policy. Asshat!
[post="177784"][/post]​

I've said it once, and I 'll say it again...Disgruntled ex-employee with axe to grind..get over it dude (or dudette). You try to pass yourself off as a shareholder/frequent AA flyer over on flyertalk...Get over it

Wing also has a fixation on calling other posters names beginning with A$$.... Wonder if there some Freudian connection? Or maybe "Mirror, mirror, on the wall.......".

Hotel Wing, what a pair of "exes"!

WingNaPrayer said:

As to the TE policy - that's what it is, policy, and when the company decides to side-step it, they are bound to get some slack. I wasn't sure they did it, that's why I asked, but now I'm sure because someone emailed me a copy of the letter from Uncle George Hazy himself . . .no hurricane pay even though it's company policy . . . However, hurricane pay WILL be provided for the hours the airport was actually closed so late saturday night to early sunday morning, those scheduled to work but did not show up due to the airport being closed were going to be receiving TE pay.

I guess once all hell broke loose when MIA folks found out that FLL folks were getting it, let alone their unionized co-workers, they had to follow company policy for just a few hours.

The entitlement mentality, as you put it, was created when AMR, NOT it's employees, created the TE policy. Asshat!
[post="177784"][/post]​
If you have proof why don't you post it? Or is this the same made up BS regarding overtime ?

Can you post a copy of this letter? I'd like to see what it is that you are reffering to. Anyone else know what "policy" he is reffering to?

I am happy that all of the flight attendants that needed to take a po will have their pay protected. It is hard enough to deal with an impending disaster and possibly having to clean up after it. I am glad the company decided to pay those affected. Take care and hope to see you all back to work soon

operaations said:
I am happy that all of the flight attendants that needed to take a po will have their pay protected. It is hard enough to deal with an impending disaster and possibly having to clean up after it. I am glad the company decided to pay those affected. Take care and hope to see you all back to work soon
[post="177935"][/post]​

Exactly! In this era of "screw the employee" something is finally working.