Sep 13 In Tempe Hq Re: F/a Fencing

Fly said:
I wonder if you'd say the same thing if you were an HP f/a with 15 years seniority.
[post="298040"][/post]​
If the shoe were on the other foot and hp were merging with ual, how would you feel about doh?

I believe there would be a fence (actually I KNOW there would be a fence, because when we were merging with US a fence was part of the equation). I totally believe DOH is the best way to go but a fence to protect current seniority is fair too.

Fly said:
I believe there would be a fence (actually I KNOW there would be a fence, because when we were merging with US a fence was part of the equation). I totally believe DOH is the best way to go but a fence to protect current seniority is fair too.
[post="298141"][/post]​

I am sure there will be a fence as well... Some things people need to learn... A 20 year fence is ludicrous.. I.E. you have an attrition rate of 100 people per year minimum... multiply that times 20 and boom there your 2000 flight attendants... you would be operating with no f/as - come on people if your going to say this s++t at least think for one second about it - If you propose a 20 year fence they are just going to Die laughing in your face.. Save yourselves the dissapointment and embarrasement. Think with your head and not your EMOTIONS... Maybe that should be the new theme song for phoenix.. EMOTION.. you got me feelin higher... LOL this must have been a M. Gardner idea... and if it's your union councils, you are in TROUBLE!!!!!!!

I doubt a 20 year fence will happen, but a longer 2 year fence might. Enough seniority that our most seniors will have between 28 to 30 years seniority.

TheNewLowFare said:
I doubt a 20 year fence will happen, but a longer than 2 year fence might.
[post="298153"][/post]​

This is true but people need to realize that you have to run an operation with a certain amount of people and a fence cannot withstand more than 3 years unless you hire off the street (which cannot be done) or you transfer from bases... look at it logically and of course it makes sense.... just get along and there will be no mad rush of people coming in - I don't even know why they think everyone wants to come to Phoenix - It is very crazy to me - It's almost like they think it is the holy land and people are going to want to flock to their savior. Oh well that's what they get for thinking...

goodgirl37 said:
This is true but people need to realize that you have to run an operation with a certain amount of people and a fence cannot withstand more than 3 years unless you hire off the street (which cannot be done) or you transfer from bases... look at it logically and of course it makes sense.... just get along and there will be no mad rush of people coming in - I don't even know why they think everyone wants to come to Phoenix - It is very crazy to me - It's almost like they think it is the holy land and people are going to want to flock to their savior. Oh well that's what they get for thinking...
[post="298156"][/post]​

I'm FOR the merger and I'm excited about it. I've been here almost 18 years and need a change. :)

The ones that are worried are the junior ones who just got a line, some of the reserves and the "Cartel" Seniors that hold their holidays off. :)

I don't care either way. As long as I get my flexible schedules and collect my paycheck I am happy.

Fly Safe!

HPearlyretiree said:
I understand the Flight Attendants pain, but I also remember when they were given training by the company back when they were voting to belong to AFA. The company said to be careful about joining, because if we merge, it would most likely be with a larger company with high seniority employees and that your seniority would be knocked down.

But, they took the risk, they wanted the union and nothing was going to stop them.

Be careful what you wish.
[post="298103"][/post]​

Without union representation the flight attendants would just be stapled to the bottom of the list. That's a whole lot worse than being bumped by seniority. The CSRs never wanted union representation and they are finally seeing the chickens coming home to roost. One more good reason to be union in a highly unionized industry. :)

goodgirl37 said:
LOL !!! You are a joke - many airlines don't even last 20 years... get a grip.... you don't think you will have any attrition over 20 years and you will need no one to transfer in to cover those attritions... you people have alot to learn ... LOBBY ON!!
[post="298028"][/post]​
Ahhhhh remember, a fence that keeps people out also keeps people in! :shock:

It will be date of hire. People. Get a grip. The fence will be built. It will come down after all furloughed US f/a's have been OFFERED a position at the BOTTOM of the list in PHX. When PHX has openings after this "event" occurs, transfers will begin to take place........

hulagirl said:
Whoa--I've been flying for a couple of days, and a lot has happened!
Don't all of the AFA carriers have to agree to change the bylaws? That won't happen. Niether will a 20 year fence.

[post="298085"][/post]​
My thoughts as well. Can someone else with good knowledge of the bylaws answer that question? Pilot, F/A, Mechanic, Ground anybody?

ACrazy8 said:
It will be date of hire. People. Get a grip. The fence will be built. It will come down after all furloughed US f/a's have been OFFERED a position at the BOTTOM of the list in PHX. When PHX has openings after this "event" occurs, transfers will begin to take place........
[post="298223"][/post]​

And then after the fence is down all USAirways f/a's will be slotted in at their DOH!!

700UW said:
Yes they do, go read the AFA/US Airways contract, they are on the seniority list therefore they are included.

Boy, you hatred for unions is coming out.
[post="298123"][/post]​

You need to get a grip, dude.

Only a union lackey would think it "fair" that someone not employed would bring a "job" to a merger.

Further, I'll ask the following questions again, since nobody likes to answer them with facts in mind (one fact which I have established on both this board and the US forum is that for bankruptcy and accounting purposes, HP is the acquiring entitiy):

1. Why should an America West FA currently holding a line lose that to a more senior US employee? They work for the healthy company. They were activly hiring before the merger annoucement.

2. Why should an America West FA currently holding a line have a recalled US FA in front of them--even after the fences come down? The former was employed at the time of the merger, the latter was not.

Come on out to the real world (as opposed to the union hall) and see if that kind of thing would ever happen.

The HP FAs had a realistic career expectation at a (relatively) healthy airline that was growing. Compare that with what the remaining US employees had. The furloughed US FAs were presumably free to apply and hire on with HP at any time during their furlough. Why should they reap a windfall for bidding purposes a year or two or five from now?

DOH, in this scenario, is a joke without looooooooong fences.

As for my hatred of unions, ALPA is the only one (and perhaps the only thing that ALPA gets right) with a reasonable merger policy--one that takes career expectations into account.

i have a silly question, assuming there is a two year fence agreement. after two years when the fence is down, doug parker (hypothetically, for whatever reason), decides to downsize, lets say CLT. the flight reduction requires furloughing 500 flight attendants. do those flight attendants, assuming they have DOH, have the right to displace flight attendants in PHX, or only in prior USAir cities?

LAX