More Filth & Lack Of Upkeep

vantheman63

Senior
Aug 30, 2007
PVD
Visit site
Well folks...remember the two rules of buying tix on US...a.) ONLY when there is no other way and b.) When it's DIRT cheap....

I was able to buy tickets, dirt cheap...and I got what I paid for...broken stuff....tape...and PLENTY of dirt!

View attachment 7899View attachment 7896
View attachment 7897View attachment 7898

Got on the airplane, 3rd one on...put my rollerboard up top, sit down with my computer bag and a Quiznos and *SNAP*!!! Loud and fast, I was laying almost flat other people in F turned around to see what happened, it was loud.

I tried just pulling the seat up...it just fell back...completely broken in half.

They halted boarding and the captain came back, at this point, maybe 30 or 40 people on board...and he did say, "that doesn't look good" and I did reply, neither does all the duct tape holding the overheads together. Most everyone laughed and the F/A said, "this is nothin'."

They got everyone on, then brought three people on that had US uni's on...and they had IAM badges on too. Two guys looked at the seat and said, "we'll try to just take the back of the seat off...if we can't get it off, 3A, 3C and 2C will need to be re-seated." At that point, the G/A came on and said, the gentleman in 2C stays, he's the Chairman of the group and 1A is open. The gentleman in 2F would need to move to the back as the woman in 3A was paid F...and 3C would be in 4F.

Didn't materialize, the mechanics got the seat off...and it was pretty comical and they were laughing and playing into it...all of us, 2A, 2C, 3A and 3C had to sort of move and let them go at it.

I can not tell you how many people were walking by and asking, "I wonder if they take care of the wings and engines the same way?"

I finally asked, "what happened?" The youngest of the guys said, "sheared pin here, just wrong timing" and I said, "can you imagine that happening on take off?" He said, no I can't, someone would have been hurt.

The finally got it off and ended up just pulling the entire seat out...the frame was all that was left...and it was a comedy show. When they picked that back half of that seat up, it was amongst the most disgusting things I've ever seen...this bus was beat and filthy...as was my B734 yesterday. The final funny thing, well, second to funny thing....the seat back was removed...but still teathered...by an IFE wire. And the one guy looked at the other and said, "just cut it, they're pulling this stuff out of these airplanes anyway." LOL And of course, that's a ride that is probably headed to somewhere like the Caribbean over the weekend...so 2C won't be able to listen in.

The last funny was the HP sign taped to the frame, "we're sorry for the inconvenience, but this seat is inoperative." No, that seat was missing and gone. LOL

The guy in 3C and I got to talking...he was a former CP and has left US for UA and CO. (He was one of the last upgraded and would have moved back.) He said, "ever since the Arizona people took over, these airplanes just haven't been right."

So, we got out of there about a half hour late...there was NO traffic at ORD, so we got out to the runway and left...and hauled ass to PHLthy...

Anyway, it was pretty funny...and US really and truly is the Aeroflot of the modern day... I think they might actually be getting worse. That B734 yesterday was SO filthy I was planning to notify Aunt D.O.T. just for the filth...and today's A319 had enough duct tape to keep the USS Missouri held together.

Just silly.

Van,

Do yourself a favor. Fly WN or UA to Chicago next time.

That will serve two purposes. It will provide you with a trouble free travel experience, because no other airlines except for USAirways ever experience broken seats.

Also, it will save you the time of writing a rather tedious monologue of your latest bad experience delivered by USAirways.

Your not a person of size, or POS, are you? Because I observe the way some people that fit that description manipulate the seats on the aircraft and there is reason those seats (pins) sometimes break after thousands sit in them.

Happy Flying, but not on USAirways, of course.

Van,

Do yourself a favor. Fly WN or UA to Chicago next time.

That will serve two purposes. It will provide you with a trouble free travel experience, because no other airlines except for USAirways ever experience broken seats.

Also, it will save you the time of writing a rather tedious monologue of your latest bad experience delivered by USAirways.

Your not a person of size, or POS, are you? Because I observe the way some people that fit that description manipulate the seats on the aircraft and there is reason those seats (pins) sometimes break after thousands sit in them.

Happy Flying, but not on USAirways, of course.
Wow! Hey! I love you too! Who's better than you are?!? Thanks for all the love, it makes me feel wam and special, for sure. :)

Thanks for reminding me that you guys are going to be happy with one less CP next year! :up:

Wow! Hey! I love you too! Who's better than you are?!? Thanks for all the love, it makes me feel wam and special, for sure. :)

Thanks for reminding me that you guys are going to be hapy with one less CP next year! :up:

With oil at $150/bbl, they can't afford to worry about seats...ooops...I mean, with oil at $100/bbl...oh, who is kidding who....US just doesn't care about their customers or their product.

With oil at $150/bbl, they can't afford to worry about seats...ooops...I mean, with oil at $100/bbl...oh, who is kidding who....US just doesn't care about their customers or their product.

What a bunch of whiners.

Go warm up your nuts and get a life.

What a bunch of whiners.

Whining? Certainly you jest. Have you even thought about the consequences if this seat had broken during takeoff or landing? Both the OP and the passenger behind him, as well as others nearby, could have been seriously injured.

US Airways failed to provide the OP a safe environment in which to travel, all the filth and duct tape not withstanding. I hate to burst your bubble, but this sort of product offering is UNSAFE and UNACCEPTABLE.

What a bunch of whiners.

Wow, you are really just a peach, aren't you? Just a little slice of heaven....

Well, I've got warmed nuts and a life...the crazy thing is, I use to be BLINDLY loyal to US....and I care deeply for the company and the people that make it fly....I don't care, at least not very deeply, for the senior management who has, for whatever reason, decided to fly the airline right into the crapper.

But, that extra little love and nudge out the cabin door is what we need....but I'm not sure it's what you need...I would guess the airline could use all the VFF and High Yield pax you can get....or am I wrong? Hefty garbage bag totin' pax who travel once a year and whore themselves out to the lowest bidder might make more sense, right?

Hey, never fear though....we VFFers and High Yield pax love you JUST as much as you obviously love us...and we vote that way EVERY week...by flying someone else....

Hugs back at ya!

Not to defend US, but seats break, and that is beyond anyone's control, believe me I seen plenty of them when I worked in stores and we had to deliver the broken ones to the seat shop for repair.

The OP's experience is NOT just about the seat. If you look at the big picture - the seat, the filth, the duct tape - one sees an aircraft, representative of a product, that has been neglected for a long time. And to what end? Allowing the product to deteriorate is not good for customers or employees. The money saved by letting go of interior maintenance and cleaning is going to be more costly in the long run, resulting in lost high revenue customers and perhaps resulting a serious injury, if a seat breaks or a taped-up overhead bin collapses.

Not to defend US, but seats break, and that is beyond anyone's control, believe me I seen plenty of them when I worked in stores and we had to deliver the broken ones to the seat shop for repair.
There's no doubt things break....it happens. Heck, I have rental properties...hardly a week goes by I don't have to repair SOMETHING...

I think it goes more to point about how far they let things get away...

It's one thing to cut seat pitch, cut service, add a la carte...I understand all of that stuff....

But when an airplane is LOADED with duct tape and pax are walking by, wondering out loud, "I wonder if this is how the wings and engines are held together," no matter HOW tongue in cheek it is....you just don't want people wondering/thinking/joking about something like that.

Those of us who know aviation KNOW US Airways is a safe airline. We KNOW the company does run a good operation in the shops....but why subject the company to any type of second guessing???

Seems unnecessary to me...

Then again, what do I know, I'm just a cold nutted whiner....LOL

Seats are overhauled when the plane goes in for its Q-Check or S-Check, depending on the plane type.

It can vary from a year to three years.

But there is not a workcard for preventative mtc on seats, they are fixed when they break, but seats are a pain to ship around the system, first class seats are a pair, not seperate, very heavy, so they are normally replaced at at the hubs as that is where they are stocked.

Now coach seats are easier to ship around the system.

But believe it or not, US use to have a great seat shop, but you have to realize the seats do take a lot of abuse.

<SNIP> Those of us who know aviation KNOW US Airways is a safe airline. We KNOW the company does run a good operation in the shops....but why subject the company to any type of second guessing???
Yup, and guess who gets nervous when they see duct tape, broken interior items and filth?

Leisure travelers; Parker’s stated new target customer.

Latest posts