More New Flights

I'm guessing PRoVidence (PVD).

I'm still hoping for a PVD-DEN and a PVD-RSW flight one of these days...

I did mean Providence (PVD) Sorry for the typo. Right now only NWA offers non-stops to the Boston area, with an average return fare of around $600/person for DTW-BOS. SWA offering non-stops to New England from DTW would be a welcome (cheaper) alternative. DTW is NWA's largest hub, and while Delta completes the takeover of Northwest in '09 SWA could grab a much bigger share of travellers during this transition with the new terminal if SWA adds new destinations and expands it's schedule from DTW especially because the economy in Michigan is soft. SWA would also guard itself from another discount carrier opening at DTW who is looking to fill it's empty gates. SWA should grab (adjacent) gates D18 and D19 before someone else does. Going from DTW to CLE and DEN to make connections, and a daily afternoon non-stop to LAS is a no-brainer IMHO. This would also create more seats available to MDW which is always at caoacity because of passengers making connections there. Comments anyone?

I think PVD-DTW would be great, but DTW never seems to be a priority for WN growth.

Detroit is a dying city. If this was a growing market I am sure WN would put flights there. Look at the stats on how much of the population has left in the last 10 years. It you were WN, and had X number of new planes coming would you not want to put them were they would make the most money. Why put them in DTW, when you could put them in Denver, FLA, California, Dallas (in prep of bye-bye Wright) etc. In additon, I suspect WN is waiting for F9 or UA in Denver and Chicago or US in PHL to die in order to be able to pounce on these markets bigger time. If one has a limited resource one does not put them in an underperforming market

Competing against Northwest in their hub cities is a crap shoot at best. They will undercut you and flood the market with flights no matter how much they lose just to ensure you don't make money on those routes. Not worth it when there are opportunities elsewhere.

Competing against Northwest in their hub cities is a crap shoot at best. They will undercut you and flood the market with flights no matter how much they lose just to ensure you don't make money on those routes. Not worth it when there are opportunities elsewhere.

You've just explained one of the many reasons why so many business travellers in Michigan loathe NWA. SWA has only had 15-18 daily departures from DTW since the move from Detroit City Airport over 15 years ago. The standing reason for no increase in service has been unavilable gates, and departure slots hoarded by NWA. While NWA has reduced departures, increased fares, and used smaller planes, the majority of flights departing DTW are at near capacity. A new terminal makes the timing perfect for SWA to add 1-2 new destinations from DTW. LAS and PVD seem to be logical choices.
DTW has become one of the newest airports in the US, and also one of the least competitive. Comments anyone?

DTW has become one of the newest airports in the US, and also one of the least competitive. Comments anyone?

DTW is a very nice facility, but the same can't be said for the city and state. Maybe that's a key reason why right now you don't see airlines rushing to add new service (despite the new terminal and available gates).